Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Led Zeppelin - In Through the Out Door

Led Zeppelin - In Through the Out Door

I always remember this being a jammer with stellar production. How does it rate around these parts....

I think it's one of their best. I wished the CD has done something with the multiple LP covers though...

like for Yes, a Zep thread should last at least 8 pages

Totally un-Zep >> this is a JPJ solo album

***** ducks and jump for cover ******
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Carouselambra, plus 30 minutes of crap Well, All Of My Love is OK.

It's my least favorite Zeppelin album but I really dig it. Zep were the Beatles of the 70's. They were always pushing the envelope.

I personally think it's one of their most under rated albums if not their most under rated. One of my personal favorites by them along with Physical Graffiti.

Funny, my husband and I went for a short road trip right about the time of the original post and when I got in the car he asked me what I wanted to hear. I mentioned this album out of the blue, because I used to listen to it way back when and it reminded me of sunny Saturday road trips with my friends. We hadn't listened to it for a long time. Carouselambra, All My Love, Fool in the Rain, In the Evening...not too shabby

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    I like it. It sounds like Led Zeppelin to me, even though Page was in obvious retreat at that point. It's not "Whole Lotta Love," but it has its place, catchy tunes.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Least favorite LZ album. Carouselambra, and I'm Gonna Crawl are highlights for me.

I like the album. Favorite track is Carouselambra. That's a prog track. An epic, prog song. I like Fool In The Rain and all that Brazillian, Samba thing going on. I love "In The Evening" and "All My Love" as well. Great album.

I absolutely LOVE "In The Evening". The rest of the album doesn't quite match up to the opener but it is a good album still. "Fool In The Rain" is probably the next best track for me. I prefer this album overall to Presence as a beginning-to-end listen, although "Achilles Last Stand" beats anything on either album.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Fool In The Rain is one of my favourite Led Zep songs, terrific Jimmy Page solo too and certainly Bonzo's zenith, to my ears.

I think the problem In Through The Out Door has is that it gets treated a little differently because it was their last studio outing. The thing to remember, obviously, is that it wasn't meant to be their last album. Had they gone on to make another rocking album or two it would have been seen as one of those sidesteps, a little like Led Zep 3.
    ITTOD while not typical of any other Led Zep albums is very typical of Led Zep and the way they operated. They were not a band to keep repeating themselves and in that the earlier comment of them being the 70's Beatles rings true.
    As it is, it is Led Zeppelin doing what they do with a different palette, and most enjoyably I reckon.

I also love Black Sabbath's Never Say Die which, given they are sort of comparable to Zep, I see as a similar album in many ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I like the album. Favorite track is Carouselambra. That's a prog track. An epic, prog song. I like Fool In The Rain and all that Brazillian, Samba thing going on. I love "In The Evening" and "All My Love" as well. Great album.

Haven't heard the album in a loooooong time (probably since the mid-90's with the remaster boxsets), but I remember Carouselambra as terribly repetitititititive, and there fore not "prog" per se

It is with In The Evening and All My Love the better track on the album though
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Some of you are saying it's your LEAST favorite Zep album? Anyone here remember "Coda"? Maybe you just don't consider it a real LZ album. Maybe it was just a contractual obligation, kinda like Pink Floyd's The Final Cut.
    oh wait- I seem to remember there were some people here who considered The Final Cut to be Pink Floyd's greatest rekkid.
    Yep, that explains it.

Seriously, this was LZ growing old, becoming more Adult Contemporary in style. Jimmy has much less signature riffs, and John Paul and Robert are all over it. I still like it, but would place it above Coda and III at the bottom.

Bought it upon release. Back then, I could only digest "In The Evening" and "All My Love". The album grew on me as time went by, but it still remains the weakest Led Zeppelin album.

I don't consider "Coda" as a regular Zeppelin album, but yes, it is worse. Didn't bother to buy it.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

but I remember Carouselambra as terribly repetitititititive, and there fore not "prog" per se
    I might've had one too many beers when I posted the comment about Carouselambra being "prog" but it is structured like a prog song. It's got 3 different "movements", it's about 10 minutes long, so it kinda is prog. The thing about Zep that was interesting is that as the decade wore on they got more experimental, while "prog" was becoming passe. Zep were progressive, not Prog (not sure how to insert the trademark symbol).

I think the problem In Through The Out Door has is that it gets treated a little differently because it was their last studio outing. The thing to remember, obviously, is that it wasn't meant to be their last album. Had they gone on to make another rocking album or two it would have been seen as one of those sidesteps, a little like Led Zep 3.
    Good point. It's hard to tell what direction they were going in musically with ITTOD. I'm sure they would've gone in a more "new wave" direction with more keyboards. I can't help thinking that Robert Plant would've still had a solo career anyway.

Seriously, this was LZ growing old, becoming more Adult Contemporary in style
    I can't disagree with this (although I'd like to). They were obviously more mature.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    Some of you are saying it's your LEAST favorite Zep album? Anyone here remember "Coda"? Maybe you just don't consider it a real LZ album. Maybe it was just a contractual obligation, kinda like Pink Floyd's The Final Cut.
    Coda is a compilation of singles and outtakes, not the regular album of course. I like ITTOD, I only rate it lower than any other LZ album. In The Evening is OK song, good, Fool In The Rain also good, while a bit banal, and side 2 is better than side 1 for me. Carouselambra is the top track of the album for me, it's LZ in their experimental phase, which I used to admire, and I'm Gonna Crawl is more or less typical LZ blues ballad.

I always understood the (band's) reasoning for the "Led" spelling, but i never got the (so many of their) fans spelling of how "Zepplin" took hold: is it too much to add and pronounce an extra 'e' ?!?

Wait, i got it--it probably has something to do with "Len Zefflin"!!

spokane68-ad.jpg
    Last edited by syncopatico; 04-07-2013 at 12:48 PM.
    "Wouldn't it be odd, if there really was a God, and he looked down on Earth and saw what we've done to her?" -- Adrian Belew ('Men In Helicopters')

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I personally think it's one of their most under rated albums if not their most under rated. One of my personal favorites by them along with Physical Graffiti.
    My sentiments exactly. And I still think Coda rocks!

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Carouselambra isn't prog but it is really damn good! I like it much better than Achilles Last Stand- now there's a 3 minute idea stretched out about 4x too long if you ask me

Sometimes I wonder how the album would have been sequenced if they had added the three songs that ended up on Coda.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    This has three of my fave Zep tracks, but the rest is pretty naff if ya ask me. I got no love for Carouselambra.
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

At the time, a disappointment.

Now, just boring.

"In the Evening" aged OK.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    "In the Evening" is a great song, however most of the lyrics are intelligible.
    Chad

Big Zep fan but not of this recording. Absolutely nothing clever or interesting to me. It sounds like Page ran out of ideas and decided to pull from the guitar cliche book. It sounds like he thought, "what can we do that will put as dead centre of the middle of the road as possible?" Everytime I hear In The Evening on the radio I think that Mark Farner must be thinking, "and people have a problem with my riffs?"
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau