Thread: 300 Musicians Lobby Congress For Ticketing Reform

300 Musicians Lobby Congress For Ticketing Reform

Not specifically "prog" - but it affects all of us:

https://www.npr.org/2024/04/25/12471...lish-green-day

It's about time, IMO
    Regards,

Duncan

I would love to see some reform...I don't have the highest of hopes to be honest.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Ticketing is part of a larger trend of monopolization. </politics>
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

I think a good friend of mine, sums it up pretty well:

"And in the blue corner- creative minds extraordinaire with god like talents and creative expressions out the wazooooooo!

And in the red corner- corporate executives and white collar douche bags with a knack for financial greed, boasting a boardroom of bloodthirsty accountants and unforgiving lawyers!!!"

I wish the blue corner well, but...

Neil

^^ And without the blue corner, there is no product to sell. Pricing them out of the system defies logic.

Imagine a world void of lawyers. Where people would go to court, argue their cases themselves in front of a judge or jury. Everyone that opens their mouth is under oath, and verdicts are made quickly with a right to appeal if wanted.

I find it interesting that lawyers are NOT under oath when they speak in court or take deposition. Certainly they are acting as the prosecution when questioning a citizen on the stand, yet they are not under oath. However, if you go to traffic court against the cop, that cop is acting as the prosecution and he is under oath. Go figure. It's a seriously rigged system and the judges are part of it. They know that every time there is a hearing, and they kick the can down the road for another hearing in 3 or 4 months, each attorney will pick the pockets of their clients for 5 to 10K with useless paperwork, motion, discoveries, meetings of confer or other nonsense. Things settled out in mediation often take less than an hour, yet the attorneys are charging their clients massive hourly fees because they know the rules of the silly game and the client doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by John Miner View Post
    Imagine a world void of lawyers. Where people would go to court, argue their cases themselves in front of a judge or jury. Everyone that opens their mouth is under oath, and verdicts are made quickly with a right to appeal if wanted.

I find it interesting that lawyers are NOT under oath when they speak in court or take deposition. Certainly they are acting as the prosecution when questioning a citizen on the stand, yet they are not under oath. However, if you go to traffic court against the cop, that cop is acting as the prosecution and he is under oath. Go figure. It's a seriously rigged system and the judges are part of it. They know that every time there is a hearing, and they kick the can down the road for another hearing in 3 or 4 months, each attorney will pick the pockets of their clients for 5 to 10K with useless paperwork, motion, discoveries, meetings of confer or other nonsense. Things settled out in mediation often take less than an hour, yet the attorneys are charging their clients massive hourly fees because they know the rules of the silly game and the client doesn't.
    Interesting post. But nothing to do with the OP - i.e. artists battling the likes of "Ticket Bastard"
    Regards,

Duncan

Isn't that what Judge Judy (and Judge Wapner) are/were all about?
    What we feel we have to solve is why the dregs have not dissolved.

Quote Originally Posted by Batchman View Post
    Better, but with a jury... or small jury for smaller civil cases.
    Lawyers need to be under oath.
    Very strange that the legal system is not under question more than it is.

As far as relevance to the OP, any time there is "reform", the courts would need to step in.
    When you are dealing with courts, you are dealing with lawyers and judges who were once lawyers.
    It is EXTREMELY problematic that these people are not under oath.
    Kickbacks, favors etc.. would all be subject to exposure if this were the protocol.

Quote Originally Posted by Batchman View Post
    Only in small claims court. Where the cases are more trivial, and the stakes are much lower.

Some people are confident in speaking and know the law, and can argue their case competently. Most are not confident in public speaking - it only happens once in their lives - and have no idea of the subtleties of the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Not specifically "prog" - but it affects all of us:

https://www.npr.org/2024/04/25/12471...lish-green-day

It's about time, IMO
    I don't really think there is anything to see here. The artists set the ticket prices and choose the platforms to sell their tickets on. They could manage all ticket sales on their own websites if they were so inclined. This is just trying to sell a false narrative about fighting "The Man" to gullible fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Richardr View Post
    Some people are confident in speaking and know the law, and can argue their case competently. Most are not confident in public speaking - it only happens once in their lives - and have no idea of the subtleties of the law.
    There have been cases in which Judge Judy yelled at a litigant: "When you graduate from law school and pass the Bar Exam, then you can argue with me about what the law says."