08/31 Holmdel, NJ - PNC Bank Arts Centre
    09/01 Wantagh, NY - Northwell Health at Jones Beach Theater
    09/03 Bridgeport, CT - Hartford HealthCare Amphitheater
    09/04 Saratoga Springs, NY - Broadview Stage at SPAC
    09/06 Bethel, NY - Bethel Woods Center for the Arts
    09/07 Bristol, VA - Jiffy Lube Live
    09/08 Scranton, PA - The Pavilion at Montage Mountain

* Deep Purple only

So now Yes are playing second fiddle to Deep Purple. Discuss.
    Last edited by Steve983; 04-09-2024 at 11:50 AM.

In the UK, Deep Purple still play arenas. That incarnation of Yes doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    In the UK, Deep Purple still play arenas. That incarnation of Yes doesn't.
    In the USA, neither band plays arenas. Makes sense to do a co-headline tour like this I suppose for the sheds. In the recent past, Yes have had other bands on the bill as well for their summer tours.

All of the VIP ticket packages seem to be Deep Purple-centric:

The Smoke On the Water Meet & Greet Package includes: a ticket in first three rows (varies by venue), Meet & Greet with band members (will not include Ian Gillan), photo opportunity with band members (will not include Ian Gillan), one personal item autographed, exclusive Deep Purple VIP t-shirt, exclusive Deep Purple VIP merchandise, and a commemorative laminate with a lanyard. The Meet & Greet and photo opportunities may be socially distanced based on any potential COVID-related restrictions and precautions. The Highway Star package includes a ticket in the first ten rows (varies by venue), an exclusive Deep Purple VIP t-shirt, and exclusive Deep Purple VIP merchandise.

^Deep Purple generally have other 'name' bands on the bill in arenas but still, they've been playing them over here for many years.

Howe's Yes have simply reached a plateau on their own, I think. They've toured so often that probably everyone who wanted to see them, has. I'd put it this way, with respect- I don't see the venues getting bigger.

No west coast as usual? (Being flippant seen yes a lot here but still waiting on those additional Jon Anderson dates…)
    Last edited by gojikranz; 04-09-2024 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Clarity

Not that it affects me in the UK but I would hope they do some dates of their own in the US too....

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

Pretty ambitious booking Tinley Park. They'll practically be giving away lawn seats a week before the show. I wish them luck!

Quote Originally Posted by gearHed289 View Post
    Pretty ambitious booking Tinley Park. They'll practically be giving away lawn seats a week before the show. I wish them luck!
    I thought the same thing. That is a big ass venue.

The eons are closing
    Deep Purple always manages to draw during the summer shed tours.

Nothing but fond memories of the DP / ELP / DT triple bill in Holmdel during Purpendicular
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    All of the VIP ticket packages seem to be Deep Purple-centric:

The Smoke On the Water Meet & Greet Package includes: a ticket in first three rows (varies by venue), Meet & Greet with band members (will not include Ian Gillan), photo opportunity with band members (will not include Ian Gillan)
    Phooey on Ian Gillan then.

There is also a Yes VIP package offered:

YES VIP Tour Package
    One premium reserved ticket. Limited edition Roger Dean YES tour poster; autographed by YES. Collectible YES challenge coin. YES enamel pin set. Exclusive YES merchandise item. Official tour laminate & lanyard. Limited availability.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Phooey on Ian Gillan then.
    I believe he stopped doing those things after his wife passed away, but I'm not 100% sure on that.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Deep Purple always manages to draw during the summer shed tours.

Nothing but fond memories of the DP / ELP / DT triple bill in Holmdel during Purpendicular

Saw that bill in Mansfield,MA. Glad I got to my sear early since DT started their set 15 min before advertised start time.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post

So now Yes are playing second fiddle to Deep Purple. Discuss.
    Yes opened for Peter Frampton in 2010 so this isn't completely unheard of. Plus, DP has more original members in the band than Yes does (1-0) and more longtime members (3-1).

I saw *will not include Ian Gillan on a vegan restaurant menu recently, so it's probably a meme.

Fair play to him though for turning down such easy money, for whatever reason. I doubt the fans will care.

I'm not surprised DP are headlining over Yes for this tour. Yes have been largely forgotten by most by now (except for the diehards and prog fans) while Deep Purple are thought of by the young folks as one of the originators of heavy metal so they have a lot of "street cred" because of that.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    Yes opened for Peter Frampton in 2010 so this isn't completely unheard of. Plus, DP has more original members in the band than Yes does (1-0) and more longtime members (3-1).
    Are you sure it wasn't the other way around? I saw Peter Frampton opening for Jethro Tull just two years or so before that so it seems kind of unlikely (though of course not impossible) that Yes would have be the opener when JT wasn't.

Edit: Ok, I just looked on the forgotten yesterdays website and it lists Peter Frampton as a "support band." However, this doesn't change the fact that these days Yes aren't playing any shows at over 3,000 seat venues.
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 04-09-2024 at 11:27 PM.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

There's a fundamental difference in the line-ups of the two bands. Some won't like to hear that, but it's a very different Yes now- not high on name recognition.

Deep Purple actually still has 3/5 of the 'Mark 2' band which is a good average these days. Yes would still be capable of that, with Anderson/Wakeman/Howe in a band, but obviously that's not happening. Howe's Yes do play good venues in the UK (the Royal Albert Hall etc.). But not arenas.
    Last edited by JJ88; 04-10-2024 at 07:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Are you sure it wasn't the other way around? I saw Peter Frampton opening for Jethro Tull just two years or so before that so it seems kind of unlikely (though of course not impossible) that Yes would have be the opener when JT wasn't.

Edit: Ok, I just looked on the forgotten yesterdays website and it lists Peter Frampton as a "support band." However, this doesn't change the fact that these days Yes aren't playing any shows at over 3,000 seat venues.
    Yes, I'm positive. They played a July 4 show here in Cincy and Yes got an hour set and Frampton came on for close to 2 hours, and I don't think the arrangement had anything to do with Frampton living in Cincy at the time.

Looks like Pre-sale is on, does anyone know the passcode? I would say it's the same for USA and Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    Looks like Pre-sale is on, does anyone know the passcode? I would say it's the same for USA and Canada.
    Never mind. it's SMOKE.

Oh yeah, this tour is mostly sheds with a couple of arenas so it makes sense to pair these veteran bands, going to be fun and for me, it's a farewell .

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Thanks for posting the passcode. I bought excellent seats from the Montreal show ($370 Cdn).
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Fuck!! I'm in Spain. PM me, will sell the tickets for $300 (Cdn)
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Thanks for posting the passcode. I bought excellent seats from the Montreal show ($370 Cdn).
    No problem. I did too, got mine for Montreal. Going with my son who is a big Deep Purple fan but I'm a lifetime Yes fan.

To confirm - Yes is that back up, right?

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    Yes, I'm positive. They played a July 4 show here in Cincy and Yes got an hour set and Frampton came on for close to 2 hours, and I don't think the arrangement had anything to do with Frampton living in Cincy at the time.
    Well, like I said, the Forgotten Yesterdays website lists Peter Frampton as the supporting act on that tour but it's more than likely that they alternated the headlining spot. Peter headlining that show you mentioned definitely could have been because he was living there. There's no way Yes would have been the supporting act in the Philly area though. I saw Yes in NJ with Styx in 2011 or so and guess what? Styx were the opening act (even though they blew Yes off the stage) and I think that had to do with the fact that Yes have always been really big in the Philly area. Are Yes overall bigger than Styx? No, of course not. Lol.

http://forgotten-yesterdays.com/date...0&qdateid=2709

As others have hinted lineups can have a lot to do with attendance. I'm certain that many Yes fans would see them these days if they had Jon A. in the band. They still wouldn't be huge but they would probably have quite a bit more people show up for them than they currently do.
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 04-10-2024 at 11:26 AM.