Thread: Nektar and Visual Preoccupation

Nektar and Visual Preoccupation

I have been a Nektar freak since around 1977. It's bizarre to me that after hundreds of hours of listening to, and singing along with Nektar albums, l am just noticing that in almost every song there is a sight-based reference in the lyrics, i.e., "see", "look" "show me", etc.
    I could go through their catalog song by song to illustrate this but there are too many, literally in almost every song.
    This is more an observation (which l am surprised I never noticed before) than a topic of discussion l suppose...and am the only one that caught on to this so late?
    Not sure if Mr. B still posts here. As l understand it he contributed lyrically to (all?) of the albums. I guess l would ask if this was an intentional lyrical theme, and was it common to everyone who worked on the lyrics or just one person?
    If intentional it would obviously be a stupid question to ask "Why?". Again, just something l noticed after about 45 years, and surprised l didn't "see" before.

Quote Originally Posted by veteranof1000psychicwars View Post
    I have been a Nektar freak since around 1977. It's bizarre to me that after hundreds of hours of listening to, and singing along with Nektar albums, l am just noticing that in almost every song there is a sight-based reference in the lyrics, i.e., "see", "look" "show me", etc.
    I could go through their catalog song by song to illustrate this but there are too many, literally in almost every song.
    This is more an observation (which l am surprised I never noticed before) than a topic of discussion l suppose...and am the only one that caught on to this so late?
    Not sure if Mr. B still posts here. As l understand it he contributed lyrically to (all?) of the albums. I guess l would ask if this was an intentional lyrical theme, and was it common to everyone who worked on the lyrics or just one person?
    If intentional it would obviously be a stupid question to ask "Why?". Again, just something l noticed after about 45 years, and surprised l didn't "see" before.
    I never really noticed that before, but now that you have pointed it out it is pretty obvious that they do that a lot. Interesting.........

Hey Steve, hope you are doing well.
    I should mention that l am referring mainly to the "classic" 5 albums, and Sounds Like This (a visual reference in "Good Day").
    But, there are only a couple of 'anecdotal' usages on Magic Is A Child, but more direct usage in 7 of the 9 songs on Man In The Moon.
    So, it could be reasonable to infer that this was a Roye Albrighton thing.

Quote Originally Posted by veteranof1000psychicwars View Post
    Hey Steve, hope you are doing well.
    I should mention that l am referring mainly to the "classic" 5 albums, and Sounds Like This (a visual reference in "Good Day").
    But, there are only a couple of 'anecdotal' usages on Magic Is A Child, but more direct usage in 7 of the 9 songs on Man In The Moon.
    So, it could be reasonable to infer that this was a Roye Albrighton thing.

The visual element was very important to their live show. Visual effects guy Mick Brockett was credited as a fully fledged member (as was his assistant Keith Walters on Journey).
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Oh yes, that is absolutely true. I should have clarified in my subject line that l was talking about their lyrical perspective.

Mick was often involved in writing the lyrics, as I understand it.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.