Thread: The Movie 'A Mighty Wind' Quite Literally Ruined My Ability To Listen To Certain Acts

The Movie 'A Mighty Wind' Quite Literally Ruined My Ability To Listen To Certain Acts

Basically all the ones that are spoofed in the film: The Kingston Trio, The New Christy Minstrels and Ian & Sylvia.

My wife is a folky so when we saw this film, she knew what was being spoofed. I'd never really listened to much of those artists back in the day. So when I went to explore them more, I couldn't help but laugh at the music. I guess the spoofs done in the film were so good that they impressed themselves on my mind. For example, I listen to Ian & Sylvia and the lyrics sound funny to me. I don't think that's the effect they're supposed to have.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

I Love that movie! One regret I have is missing the concert tour right after the release of the movie. The cast came to Seattle. I did like the tunes. I was in a band at the time and we worked out the Shure-flow jingle for shits & giggles.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

I remember the Eugene Levy character was a sort of conflation of Phil Ochs and Jim from Jim and Jean.

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    Basically all the ones that are spoofed in the film: The Kingston Trio, The New Christy Minstrels and Ian & Sylvia.

My wife is a folky so when we saw this film, she knew what was being spoofed. I'd never really listened to much of those artists back in the day. So when I went to explore them more, I couldn't help but laugh at the music. I guess the spoofs done in the film were so good that they impressed themselves on my mind. For example, I listen to Ian & Sylvia and the lyrics sound funny to me. I don't think that's the effect they're supposed to have.
    That movie is a classic. Same people did "Best In Show" which is also essential. Most of the same people were involved in "Spinal Tap" as well.

When the blind man sees the picture, when the deaf man hears the word
    When the fisherman stops fishing, when the hunter spares the herd
    We'll still hear the wondrous story of a world where people care
    The story of this mighty wind that's blowin' everywhere
    My favorite part because of Catherine O'Hara's harmonies. Although I'm not sure if they're good or over-the-top or what.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    I remember the Eugene Levy character was a sort of conflation of Phil Ochs and Jim from Jim and Jean.
    Eugene Levy absolutely steals that film from an incredibly stellar cast. His performance is just extraordinary. I wonder how many people thought the same way about listening to 70s and 80s metal after seeing This is Spinal Tap, the music (and especially the lyrics) just nail its intended target beautifully - no wonder so many rock musicians have mentioned their considerable discomfort when they've watched it.
    Last edited by kid_runningfox; 03-21-2024 at 08:34 PM.

Waiting for Guffman (sp?) is another great one spoofing community theater with pretty much the same ensemble cast.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    Waiting for Guffman (sp?) is another great one spoofing community theater with pretty much the same ensemble cast.
    As does For Your Consideration for the film industry.

...and to think it all started with a little band called Spinal Tap...

I loved A Mighty Wind, probably the best film that bunch have done. "Old Joe's Place" is the early Kingstons to a T.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Same here; I love A Mighty Wind. Ever since seeing it, though, I do have a heard time taking such squeaky-clean folk music seriously. After seeing the movie, I heard an obscure track by the Les Baxter Balladeers in which one of their singers, a certain David Crosby, explains what the song "The Midnight Special" was about. As much as I appreciated the explanation, I had to laugh at the seriousness in which this rather privileged yout was pontificating on prison life.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

When the blind man sees the picture, when the deaf man hears the word
    When the fisherman stops fishing, when the hunter spares the herd
    We'll still hear the wondrous story of a world where people care
    The story of this mighty wind that's blowin' everywhere
    Mustn't forget the line,

That mighty wind is blowin', blowin' me and blowin' you
    And nobody realized how that sounded.
    It's a bit like Blaine being "The Stool Capital Of The United States" in Waiting for Guffman, and nobody realized how that sounded, either.

In a tangentially related note, Bob's Burgers has ruined Tori Amos for me:

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...