Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gentle Giant's "Playing The Fool (Live)" to be reissued as a Triple Disc Album

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Wasn’t that complete intro released on one of the box sets of unreleased material? I think I remember hearing it.
    Probably. I don't go for box sets, so I'm not certain. But I know it's on the Live At The Bicentennial CD- the USA '76 show at the Calderone Concert Hall.
    "I tah dah nur!" - Ike

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    You are correct. "Interview," "Timing" and the 1976 intro are all on Under Construction from 9/23 Düsseldorf, and it's not clear there was anything else on the set list in the September/October time frame that isn't already on PtF. I guess I'll curb my enthusiasm until the album comes out, then see what they come up with, but if it's just stuff that's already come out, plus alternative takes of stuff that's already there, it's not nearly as interesting. Oh well.

Bill
    The farther this thread goes the less enthusiastic I seem to be about this. Scraping the barrel with a different scrapper. Does anyone know the actual sequence of the songs performed? I’d like to piece it together with interview and timing to get a feel of the full show since I didn’t get to them. I only got the chance to see GG one time and that was in the final tour for the Civilian album. Still a great show though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The farther this thread goes the less enthusiastic I seem to be about this. Scraping the barrel with a different scrapper. Does anyone know the actual sequence of the songs performed? I’d like to piece it together with interview and timing to get a feel of the full show since I didn’t get to them. I only got the chance to see GG one time and that was in the final tour for the Civilian album. Still a great show though.
    According to On Reflection, this is what it was typically like from mid-1976 onward:

Intro/Just the Same
    Proclamation/Valedictory
    On Reflection
    Interview
    The Runaway/Experience
    So Sincere
    Excerpts from Octopus
    Give It Back - played sporadically until late July, when it was dropped for good, never to return
    Timing
    Free Hand - During the first few weeks of the North American tour, many shows ended with this song, with no encore following.
    Peel the Paint/I Lost My Head

Based in this, "Give it Back" will likely not be included in the new PtF, which is fine with me. I don't especially love that song.

Bill

And when they dropped "Give it Back", that's where "Funny Ways" went.
    "I tah dah nur!" - Ike

curious about this as well though I suspect the 'extra' material will mostly be Interview tracks. wasn't it somewhat common practice in those days to exclude tracks from the current studio album from the live release? Seconds Out for instance only has one song from W&W and it's a short one. I'd have to imagine they played more than that on the actual tour.
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Wasn’t that complete intro released on one of the box sets of unreleased material? I think I remember hearing it.
    Under Constrution had both "Intro 74" and "Intro 76."

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    According to On Reflection, this is what it was typically like from mid-1976 onward:

Intro/Just the Same
    Proclamation/Valedictory
    On Reflection
    Interview
    The Runaway/Experience
    So Sincere
    Excerpts from Octopus
    Give It Back - played sporadically until late July, when it was dropped for good, never to return
    Timing
    Free Hand - During the first few weeks of the North American tour, many shows ended with this song, with no encore following.

Based in this, "Give it Back" will likely not be included in the new PtF, which is fine with me. I don't especially love that song.

Bill
    I don’t remember if there is a recording of Give It Back or not. I agree I never really cared for that song. Definitely the weakest song on Interview.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by no.nine View Post
    And when they dropped "Give it Back", that's where "Funny Ways" went.
    Yeah, that's right. I actually grabbed the wrong set list for the fall of 1976. It's a little difficult to find things on that site. Here is the amended fall 1976 set list:

Intro/Just the Same
    Proclamation/Valedictory
    On Reflection/Interview
    The Runaway/Experience
    So Sincere
    Excerpts from Octopus
    Funny Ways - This crowd favorite was put back into the set.
    Timing
    Free Hand

There's little doubt that "Give it Back" was not played in September/October when they were recording the shows for PtF, so I strongly doubt it will make an appearance on a revised release.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Dok View Post
    I didn't think Steven Wilson was a fan of remixing live albums. The ones in the big box set were done by Dan Bornemark if I remember correctly and I'm not sure which but one of those complete live sets that came from Dusseldorf or Munich seemed to have a rather noticeable hum throughout. Anyone recall right off?
    SW remixed the 'Excerpts from Octopus' originally on PTF as a bonus track on the 2015 'Octopus' expanded release.
    https://www.discogs.com/release/7672...-Giant-Octopus

If 'Unburied Treasure' presented all the acceptable material that contributed to FTP, there's 4 CDs of material from Dusseldorf, Brussels, Munich and Paris, which was all remixed.
    They could release the 4 extra CDs 'as-is' or strip away the existing FTP tracks and release an extra 3 CDs with non-FTP versions.
    I'm not expecting anything that was not already presented in 'Unburied Treasure'.

Quote Originally Posted by jcarr73729 View Post
    SW remixed the 'Excerpts from Octopus' originally on PTF as a bonus track on the 2015 'Octopus' expanded release.
    https://www.discogs.com/release/7672...-Giant-Octopus
    Thanks. I had forgotten that. Still, without going back through the UT big box it seemed to me one of the shows PtF was taken from had a rather substantial hum throughout it. I would have thought it could have easily been corrected but perhaps I'm misremembering. All in for SW remixing this regardless of what Dave Senior thinks!

Still, without going back through the UT big box it seemed to me one of the shows PtF was taken from had a rather substantial hum throughout it. I would have thought it could have easily been corrected but perhaps I'm misremembering.
    Kerry’s clavinet picked up a hum from the lights, so the album has the clav parts replaced in the studio.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Thanks. I had forgotten that. Still, without going back through the UT big box it seemed to me one of the shows PtF was taken from had a rather substantial hum throughout it. I would have thought it could have easily been corrected but perhaps I'm misremembering. All in for SW remixing this regardless of what Dave Senior thinks!
    I'm just a grumpy old man Dok that gets nothing at all from GG recycling. Regardless of sonic improvements, the original versions are what made me the definitive GG fan. So...unless it's a new GG composition, I find nothing to get excited about.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    I'm just a grumpy old man Dok that gets nothing at all from GG recycling. Regardless of sonic improvements, the original versions are what made me the definitive GG fan. So...unless it's a new GG composition, I find nothing to get excited about.
    God Bless Ya Dave! We like what we like and what we know. Completely understandable. To me, if Steven is able to add some more depth and fidelity I'm all for it. Also, if it helps Derek, ur, I mean the band get a few more shekels then that's a plus too. So, don't go buying the new Missing Piece either you hear?!

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Kerry’s clavinet picked up a hum from the lights, so the album has the clav parts replaced in the studio.
    That's right, another thing I had forgotten. So, when Dan remixed the tapes for the UT box the original recording was probably left as it was. Thanks Biffy!