Thread: NIGHT OF THE PROG Festival

NIGHT OF THE PROG Festival

This summer will mark the Final Night of the Prog at the Loreley Amphitheater in St. Goarshausen, Germany. The venue, which is a UNESCO World Heritage site, hosted its first rock concert on July 3, 1976 when Genesis played there. Located between Frankfurt and Cologne, the venue will continue to host events but organizers of Night of the Prog have decided the difficulties of hosting the festival are too great to continue, so they have announced this will be the last.

Here is the lineup for the (FINAL) XVII NIGHT OF THE PROG:

FRIDAY, JULY 19, 2024
    Riverside (Poland)
    Arena (UK)
    Alex Henry Foster (Canada)
    Sylvan (Germany)
    IZZ (USA)
    Cheeto’s Magazine (Spain)
    Inhalo (Netherlands)

SATURDAY, JULY 20, 2024
    Steve Hackett (UK)
    Pendragon (UK)
    Lazuli (France)
    Beardfish (Sweden)
    Karnataka (UK)
    Ritual (Sweden)
    !GeRald! (France/UK)

SUNDAY, JULY 21, 2024
    Big Big Train (UK)
    Steve Rothery Band (UK)
    The Flower Kings (Sweden)
    MEER (Norway)
    Amarok (Poland)
    The Windmill (Norway)
    OK Goodnight (USA)

https://www.nightoftheprogfestival.com/en/tickets_en/

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    What an incredible list of artists.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    What an incredible list of artists.
    I told my wife that I wanted to see the festival at some point (I have heard many great things about the venue) and the announcement that it would be the last one – along with the excellent lineup - moved up our planned trip to Germany by a year.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Newman View Post
    I told my wife that I wanted to see the festival at some point (I have heard many great things about the venue) and the announcement that it would be the last one – along with the excellent lineup - moved up our planned trip to Germany by a year.
    Good for you! I'd sure enjoy it.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

We'd love to go but just can't afford the trip.
    We went in 2011. Best music fest we've ever been to. Maybe because Eloy was there!
    However its a little rough to sit through depending on the elements. Hot days / cold nights when we were there, and stone seats (bring cushions!)
    Still, that line up is stellar.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Giant View Post
    However its a little rough to sit through depending on the elements. Hot days / cold nights when we were there, and stone seats (bring cushions!).
    Your comment made me look up the theater ; I was not previously familiar with the ‘ Thingspielplätze’ movement and found this whole movement pretty interesting.
    But, yes, great bands aside, it looks uncomfortable and cold!!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I wonder if Mick Pointer will sit in with the Steve Rothery Band for a bit of a Marillion Mk. I reunion? Who would do vocals - probably a few candidates there, I'll bet the new guy in Big Big Train could do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Your comment made me look up the theater ; I was not previously familiar with the ‘ Thingspielplätze’ movement and found this whole movement pretty interesting.
    But, yes, great bands aside, it looks uncomfortable and cold!!
    I can assure you it is almost never ever cold ... it might get a slight bit chilly by the time the last act of the day is on but just having some extra layers with you for that will address that. The main issue I have with outdoor festivals in 'our' part of Europe is that it is either raining (must say that hasn't happened a lot as far as I remember at Night Of The Prog) or it is scorching hot with almost no way of escaping the heat. After having endured a few outdoor festivals in the early 2000s which were either totally wet or just way too hot I stopped going to them and have no plans to return to them.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXymphonia View Post
    I can assure you it is almost never ever cold ... it might get a slight bit chilly by the time the last act of the day is on but just having some extra layers with you for that will address that. The main issue I have with outdoor festivals in 'our' part of Europe is that it is either raining (must say that hasn't happened a lot as far as I remember at Night Of The Prog) or it is scorching hot with almost no way of escaping the heat. After having endured a few outdoor festivals in the early 2000s which were either totally wet or just way too hot I stopped going to them and have no plans to return to them.
    Weather, of course, is going to be an issue with any outdoor event. I remember it was incredibly hot when I attended ProgDay in 2018 when the temperature was in the high 90s (35-36 celsius), but as unbearably hot as it was, the music made you forget. I loved every minute despite the heat.

Good to see Pendragon second on the bill behind Hackett - would love to be there.