Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do Performers On-Stage Get Annoyed By Demonstrative Audience Members?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    I think you actually are trying to be a dick.

You're right about Mahler 5, though. So, there's that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Are you trying to make him cry?

26 posts in and nobody's mentioned Roger Waters.

Roger's Water.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    26 posts in and nobody's mentioned Roger Waters.
    Why should we mention him? We might just as well mention Robert Fripp.

Okay, fine. Keith Jarrett then.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Okay, fine. Keith Jarrett then.
    What's up with him?

I remember some NEARFest patrons that were super annoyed at a couple people dancing in the aisles off to one side. I think this was during Gong's set.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    I'm a little surprised to hear that security didn't approve of moshing, at a Haken show. There was a...well-behaved pit, when I saw them in Toronto. When the music was heavy they moshed, when it was more subtle, or quieter they listened. I'd think you'd have to expect the possibility of moshing at any heavier show.

Neil

Well, people can get hurt at moshing. I think maybe part of the issue was the other people weren't into it and it was mainly just one guy doing it but I don't remember for sure since this was a while ago. The other bands on the bill were the Tea Party and Thank You Scientist (Haken were headliners) so this was maybe not too much of a metal crowd either.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    What's up with him?
    Famously prickly about audience interruptions. Photo taking, extraneous noises, etc. He would halt the performance.
    https://www.npr.org/sections/ablogsu...arrett-concert
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I remember some NEARFest patrons that were super annoyed at a couple people dancing in the aisles off to one side. I think this was during Gong's set.
    The women on CTTE dancing to Steve Hackett were a little annoying.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Get off my lawn. I hate when I go to an arena show and people are dancing and block my view.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Get off my lawn. I hate when I go to an arena show and people are dancing and block my view.
    I hate when they sing along. I paid to hear the performers sing, not the audience.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Famously prickly about audience interruptions. Photo taking, extraneous noises, etc. He would halt the performance.
    https://www.npr.org/sections/ablogsu...arrett-concert
    I saw Jarrett once and some woman shouted "I love you" and other stuff. He didn't seem to like that but kept answering her. Most seasoned performers would have either pretended not to hear or had a conversation-stopping retort ready.

I'm a little surprised to hear that security didn't approve of moshing, at a Haken show. There was a...well-behaved pit, when I saw them in Toronto. When the music was heavy they moshed, when it was more subtle, or quieter they listened. I'd think you'd have to expect the possibility of moshing at any heavier show.

Neil
    In Stockholm there happened a mosh at a Plini concert Probably as he's a big influence for metal guitarists... They had moshed to a Holdsworth show, had he still be around...
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

I remember reading that They Might Be Giants (!) would tell audiences to stop moshing at their shows since it happened a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    I remember reading that They Might Be Giants (!) would tell audiences to stop moshing at their shows since it happened a few times.
    I think that Tool has done that in the past, also.

Neil

Neil
    So if Tool has done it why would anyone think Haken would be different especially since it's often the staff anyway and not even necessarily the band themselves who makes the decision.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I dunno man... crying in public

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    So if Tool has done it why would anyone think Haken would be different especially since it's often the staff anyway and not even necessarily the band themselves who makes the decision.
    Because Tool doesn't like mosh pits and Haken does like them. Charlie Griffiths, one of Haken's guitarists, commented on how awesome the pit was and looked that way a lot, when they played Toronto.

But you're right, it can be the staff calling the shots. I remember seeing the band Unexpect in a club (somewhat like SGM) and one guy was determined to get a pit going, and NOBODY else had any interest at all, haha. Security eventually tossed the guy, who was incensed and calling people lame on his way out. No one cared. It was a great show too.

Neil
    Last edited by boilk; 01-20-2024 at 10:31 PM.

Whenever they give me a hard time for demonstrative flailing, I always tell them that I'm signing for the deaf.

Neil
    That Maynard guy is funny that way.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    For example, if I'm in club listening to Jazz or Rock or whatever, I get into it. I start "vibing" to the music. For Jazz that means that sort of moving to the beat with my eyes closed thing. Another example is when I went to see a performance of Mahler's 5th Symphony and I was swaying and crying during the vocal section all the way to the end. I got the distinct impression that the people around me were a little annoyed at my emotions. I guess I was supposed to sit there stiffly with my hands folded. I guess my demonstrations of emotion would be more welcomed at a gospel church service.
    I can't see this being a problem in 99% of the case, whether in classical or jazz/rock/folk, etc.... either for the band or the audience. As long as you don't interfere in others' enjoyment in a physical manner it should never be a problem.

TBH, I really enjoy someone "headbanging" to classical or jazz in front of me, and in some cases, it can help me to enjoy the music more.
    I've seen some people act like an orchestra conductor with their hands and it doesn't bother me, unless (s)he starts using his arms

As for the musicians on stage, I've helped my buddies a few times by systematically headbang Schizoid Man a half-measure tone ahead of time (actually it wasn't planned that way, it just happened the first time). they told me that at first, it actually helped them. They often considered me the "6th man" of the band because of that type of encouragement. Of course, when I was behind the mixing desk doing the light show, the headbanging disappeared and I was too far away, unless doing it on the side of the stage.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Because Tool doesn't like mosh pits and Haken does like them. Charlie Griffiths, one of Haken's guitarists, commented on how awesome the pit was and looked that way a lot, when they played Toronto.

But you're right, it can be the staff calling the shots. I remember seeing the band Unexpect in a club (somewhat like SGM) and one guy was determined to get a pit going, and NOBODY else had any interest at all, haha. Security eventually tossed the guy, who was incensed and calling people lame on his way out. No one cared. It was a great show too.

Neil
    Every time I have seen Tool they have had seats on the floor which makes it very difficult for mosh pits to form. The audience stands through the show, but I have never seen them mosh.