Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Baseball 2024

Baseball 2024

I got tired of waiting for someone else to start a new thread.

So, let's start here:

Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, 'Shoeless' Joe Jackson: Rare baseball cards found in old tobacco tin

Who will be the first big signing of the year?

LESS THAN SIX WEEKS TO CATCHERS AND PITCHERS REPORTING!
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Would you be starting this if you were an Athletics fan.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Would you be starting this if you were an Athletics fan.
    I sure would.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Who will be the first big signing of the year?
    Snell to Phillies
    Montgomery to BoSox
    Or Bellinger back to Cubs

Well that and Mike Trout for Andrew Painter trade.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I think Monty will stay with TX. But, the Yankees really need another starter and it could be him or Snell. Snell is a question mark of sorts.

I think Monty will stay with TX. But, the Yankees really need another starter and it could be him or Snell. Snell is a question mark of sorts.
    Monty wants no part of the Yankees. Snell might be a nice fit if he can handle the bright lights of NYC.

Snell could thrive in the right situation. I am not convinced he would do well with the Yanks. Would they trade for Cease or Bieber? Imanaga is out there as well (for perhaps another week). Beyond that Stroman, Clevinger, and Paxton round out what’s left.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    Monty wants no part of the Yankees. Snell might be a nice fit if he can handle the bright lights of NYC.
    There's no evidence of that beyond speculation and narratuve. He has gone on record stating that he harbors no ill will toward them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    Snell might be a nice fit if he can handle the bright lights of NYC.
    His downside is scary. And he never goes more than 5 innings. Not one CG in his entire career. I'd prefer they go after someone else.

His downside is scary. And he never goes more than 5 innings. Not one CG in his entire career. I'd prefer they go after someone else.
    You're right, checked his numbers and he is the definition of 5 and fly

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Snell to Phillies
    No thanks.

Snell is a question mark of sorts.

I'm just not a big Snell guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Well that and Mike Trout for Andrew Painter trade.
    Don't really want Trout, at this point in his career, and Painter is coming off of injury, so the Phillies would have go give up more than just him. I think the asking price would be too much.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Mets shortstop Bud Harrelson has died. Mets fans of a certain age (and I may be the only one here) remember him fondly as the spark plug of the '69 World Championship team, a slick fielding shortstop, and the guy who got into it with Pete Rose in the '73 NLCS.

Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    Mets shortstop Bud Harrelson has died. Mets fans of a certain age (and I may be the only one here) remember him fondly as the spark plug of the '69 World Championship team, a slick fielding shortstop, and the guy who got into it with Pete Rose in the '73 NLCS.
    Back in the day when elite fielding, light hitting defensive shortstops roamed MLB infields. RIP Bud.

one month, boys

I’m in.

On a related note, R.I.P. Sports Illustrated.

On a related note, R.I.P. Sports Illustrated.
    Sad news. I was a subscriber for years.

Bud Harrelson, a respected figure in the New York Mets’ history, died on Thursday in East Northport, New York at the age of 79, following a prolonged battle with Alzheimer’s disease.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

^ Posted a week ago, Ed.

Looks like the Angelos family is finally selling the Orioles. Seems like an odd time to get out. But, then again, the value is high right now.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    My brother was tearing out the wall between the kitchen and dining room and found a Joe Tinker card behind the sheetrock that was the size of the old cigarette pack cards, smaller than the normal, more modern baseball cards. The hope that it might be worth $$$ or even $$$$ were dashed when a sports memorabilia expert said that they're not all that uncommon and are reprints from circa 1960 or thereabouts.

Wow, looks like Theo Epstein is headed back to Boston.. They need the help after three past-place finishes in the last four seasons.

The eons are closing
    The Vegas mayor finally says the right thing about the As.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...-plan-bay-area
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Let's get things in gear with last year's (2023) Fangraph Projections

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Cool - I'm in.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Two days until pitchers and catchers report for my boys
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart