Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Songs You're Sick Of

Never really been a fan of "all right now" and now I hear it on tv commercials. An awkward song with no catchy melody that somehow became a classic rock staple. I don't get it. I can probably come up with others that don't deserve to be classics also but for some reason that one stands out for me (possibly because it's now on the tv commercials).
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Sat down at the pub and I'm hearing.....Deacon Blues. I won't say I'm sick of it, but Aja is the Dan album I like the least. This is when they became slick, yacht rock ..
    I agree although I actually think Gaucho is worse. Aja kind of put them in smooth jazz (although that term probably wasn't around yet) territory also.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I agree although I actually think Gaucho is worse. Aja kind of put them in smooth jazz (although that term probably wasn't around yet) territory also.
    Gaucho is worse, I agree. Only a couple memorable songs, Hey Nineteen, Babylon Sisters, that's it.

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by taliesin View Post
    We finished our gig on Friday with Sweet Caroline - much to our drummer's chagrin. Every single person still there at 1 am was dancing and singing including the bar staff.

I'm okay with that.
    Gigging bands at bars for drunk patrons/staff have holy dispensation ad infinitum world without end.

Be at peace
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

I don't get the whole "Sweet Caroline" thing. Nothing to do with sports or competition, and it's not terribly anthemic. Not the worst thing you're likely to hear at a sporting event, but it sets my teeth on edge.

I get sick from this song, which makes me turn of the radio as soon as it starts.

But I have to admit, I never liked this song, or other songs in the same style. It's just a kind of music I can't stand.

Anything by Billie Eilish. Unintelligible baby-talk singing by someone perpetually depressed. Worst part is you're not allowed NOT to like her otherwise the fans go nutsoid.
    Last edited by Splicer; 03-11-2024 at 02:41 PM.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I don't get the whole "Sweet Caroline" thing. Nothing to do with sports or competition, and it's not terribly anthemic. Not the worst thing you're likely to hear at a sporting event, but it sets my teeth on edge.
    The reason football fans sing ‘Sweet Caroline’ in particular stems from the song becoming a victory anthem for a Boston baseball team who played it during a match in the 1990s for a colleague who had named her baby Caroline. It became their good luck tune which they played every week and teams across the pond began to adopt the ritual too.

‘Sweet Caroline’ was first linked to football teams over here when Arsenal played it after their 2017 FA Cup semi-final win. The song’s also been adopted by Aston Villa, the England cricket team and even Tyson Fury.

Diamond changed it to ‘Caroline’ after recalling seeing a photo of Caroline Kennedy, the daughter of US President John F Kennedy, in a magazine.

Somewhat makes sense, doesn't bother me too much as some other songs might.

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    Anything by Billie Eilish. Unintelligible baby-talk singing by someone perpetually depressed. Worst part is your not allowed NOT to like her otherwise the fans go nutsoid.
    Pretty hilarious.

I really love Aja. The songcraft is still there. They kind of got obsessed with "production/musicianship over good tunes" on the overcooked Gaucho. Agree that "Hey Nineteen" and "Babylon Sisters" are still first-rate, but the rest of the album's a snooze. Don's The Nightfly is so much better!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I really love Aja. The songcraft is still there. They kind of got obsessed with "production/musicianship over good tunes" on the overcooked Gaucho. Agree that "Hey Nineteen" and "Babylon Sisters" are still first-rate, but the rest of the album's a snooze. Don's The Nightfly is so much better!
    People keep singling out those two songs but I think "time out of mind" is good too and even the title track isn't too bad but I agree with the rest being boring. Yes, the Nightfly is better but I find it lacks a certain energy or something that SD had.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    The reason football fans sing ‘Sweet Caroline’ in particular stems from the song becoming a victory anthem for a Boston baseball team who played it during a match in the 1990s for a colleague who had named her baby Caroline. It became their good luck tune which they played every week and teams across the pond began to adopt the ritual too.
    Is this when the habit arose among stinking drunks to chant, "So good. So good. So good"?
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Not only drunks, but the so-called "pink hat" fans.

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Gigging bands at bars for drunk patrons/staff have holy dispensation ad infinitum world without end.

Be at peace
    Thanks - as long as we get paid at the end of the night I seem to sleep okay.

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    Most live versions of Roundabout .
    For me it's the studio version that I'm personally burnt out on, if anything, mainly because it's the one I've heard the most.

For me it's the studio version that I'm personally burnt out on, if anything, mainly because it's the one I've heard the most.
    I hear Roundabout in bars frequently. I'm tired of it the same I'm tired of Stairway, and Bohemian Rhapsody. Great songs, but I can go 20 or more years without hearing those songs again.

I hear Roundabout in bars frequently. I'm tired of it the same I'm tired of Stairway, and Bohemian Rhapsody. Great songs, but I can go 20 or more years without hearing those songs again.
    Well I wouldn't know since I really don't go to bars anymore (or very rarely if at all). I do remember someone once playing "yours is no disgrace" on a jukebox in a bar a long time ago. Do bars still have jukeboxes? I would guess not.

Well I wouldn't know since I really don't go to bars anymore (or very rarely if at all). I do remember someone once playing "yours is no disgrace" on a jukebox in a bar a long time ago. Do bars still have jukeboxes? I would guess not.
    I've heard Yours Is No Disgrace in grocery stores.
    The first time I heard Yes' cover of Every Little Thing was in a sports bar. Truth.

Roundabout
    All Good People
    Make Me Smile
    Saturday in the Park
    25 or 6 to 4
    come on Irene
    walk 500 miles
    anything from Queen Swifty
    whatever this song is - oo oo-oo oo oo-oo oo-oo oo oo (Kill Bill Vol 1)
    Last edited by UnephenStephen; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:44 AM.
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

I've heard Yours Is No Disgrace in grocery stores.
    The first time I heard Yes' cover of Every Little Thing was in a sports bar. Truth.
    I haven't heard ANY Yes songs on the radio except for "Owner" since the 90s.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I haven't heard ANY Yes songs on the radio except for "Owner" since the 90s.
    As big as Yes apparently was (and maybe to some degree still is) in the Philadelphia area just about the only thing by them still play on the Philly classic rock station (wmgk) is "owner of a lonely heart." I check their playlist every so often and it seems that the only thing they stil play. They might still ocassionally play "roundabout" but I think it's rare. "Roundabout" still shows up as the highest ranked song on their countdowns though and I think "starship trooper" still pops up on that but other than that Yes is all but forgotten it seems as far as radio program directors are concerned.

Not really sick of, but the last couple of days I might have heard I don't know how to love him by Yvonne Elliman a bit to often

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    That Taylor Swift song playing right now, that one.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Here we go again. Someone put Sweet Caroline on the jukebox. And everyone is singing it. Screw me.