Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Funny/wild concert anecdotes

Funny/wild concert anecdotes

Though I'm not a rowdy dude at concerts or looking to create problems, I must say I hve a few amusing anecdotes of the concerts I've seen though the three decades I've been too.

Like smuggling in booze bottles, being searched by security, thumping balls on the fuckhead stewarts, barfing in the hood of the coat of the guy before you, or generally making a fool of himself

So I thought we'd share some of them here... (oughta be good for a laugh or two)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I'll strat with a copy paste of some SRV concert anecdote that I posted on that thread over a month ago.

Second show I saw of him at Massey Hall (great f..ing show)... a bunch of buddies we were, including this very tall cute blonde, with the bad idea of wearing a huge white hat (unisex)... Some body's pissed off behind her, grabs the hat and throws it far away on stage... While the buddies are pounding the arsehole's face, Tommy Shannon (ex-J Winter) picks it up and throws his own hat backstage and wears it for fun for half the concert... After the concert, the blonde and I try to recuperate the hat... Shannon comes to the entrance, and I speak to him about Winter albums I love... We get in backstage... A plate with something like 3 dozens line of snow passes in front of us direction SRV... I pass, so does the blonde... SRV Snorts two or three in row and coughs right into the plate at the fourth snort, creating a white cloud around him... Three guys hurry around him and are trying laughingly to snort the cloud's air...

Ten minutes later, SRV is busy trying to get into the blonde's pants, which in turn has her finding refuge in my arms (SRV was sweaty, too high and too blunt for her to ever say yes)... SRV gives up fairly quickly, since he thinks we're together, and we walk out a few minutes later with the hat, with its owner hung at my arm, kissing the hell out of my mouth... Spent the night together... Thanks SRV and Tommy...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Ten minutes later, SRV is busy trying to get into the blonde's pants, which in turn has her finding refuge in my arms (SRV was sweaty, too high and too blunt for her to ever say yes)... SRV gives up fairly quickly, since he thinks we're together, and we walk out a few minutes later with the hat, with its owner hung at my arm, kissing the hell out of my mouth... Spent the night together... Thanks SRV and Tommy...
    OK, you win.

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo View Post
    OK, you win.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo View Post
    OK, you win.
    Not so sure.... the blonde (not exactly a brain too) actually scribbled on my Could Stand The Weather Lp (signed by SRV, Chris and Tommy) the "hat" circumstances of the autographs... kind of ruined the effect...

Can't even remember whether she was a good lay or not... I guess if she'd been a good one, I'd have remembered it

Banned
    Can't even remember whether she was a good lay or not... I guess if she'd been a good one, I'd have remembered it
    Well, you remember Tommy Shannon wearin' the chick's hat.

Tommy Shannon (ex-J Winter) ... Shannon comes to the entrance, and I speak to him about Winter albums I love...
    Thanks for not forgetting Johnny.

Greatest blues player ever, IMO.

May, 1994. My wife is 8 months pregnant with our first child. We're doing all the right things, prepping the house, taking Lamaze classes, etc.

It's late May and the night of our final Lamaze class. Not for me, though. I ducked out to see Pink Floyd that night just down the road at Three Rivers Stadium. Once of the best shows I've ever seen.

Long story short, my daughter was delivered by emergency C-section, so I never needed the Lamaza, anyway.

WHEW!

Oh man. Mine is worth mentioning even though I'm kind of ashamed to mention it but wtf. Here it goes. Back in the summer of 2008 I went to see Jethro Tull by myself(let me say that after this event I sort of stopped going to concerts by myself for the most part. I later went back to seeing shows by myself but to be honest after this one not as much as I used to and if possible I do try to go with someone).

So anyway, I'm sitting(in the upper deck of the venue; this was the Mann center in Philly) talking to the guy next to me before the opening act, Peter Frampton, comes on stage. I did talk to the guy and his wife a little bit but mostly stopped after Peter took the stage. However, there was about at least six women behind us and they wouldn't stop talking. I might have glanced at them but past experience told me that saying something to them would be mostly futile and just entice them to talk more or be quiet for a few seconds only to start up again. I know from movie going that the shhhh thing rarely works also. So anyway five minutes in and these women are still yapping non stop. I talked to a female security guard at one point and sort of told her about it but she didn't really do much. I don't remember the specifics about what I asked her or when exactly I first talked to her. Anyway, I went to get her but like I said I don't think she did much. The women behind me, especially the young twenty something were kind of pissed off. I think it might have worked for a little bit but then things took an ugly turn. I looked back and the 20 something chick just looked at me and said "can I clap is that ok?" in a really obnoxious sarcastic manner. I looked back and put my finger to my mouth(the shhh thing)to which she gave me the middle finger. At this point I leaned in to her and said "you wish." The woman sitting next to her apparently was her mother and thought I said "you bitch"(I found this out later) and grabbed me by the back of my t shirt. I tried to swat her hand away and a slap boxing match between myself and mother and daughter(and maybe one or two other women) ensued and lasted maybe thirty seconds to a minute. I shit you not folks. I was careful not to hit a woman in public and didn't close my fist and neither did they. Pure slapping. The same female security guard returned and removed me saying she thought she saw me swing at them. I did swing but it wasn't a punch or a thrust. It was more of a blocking motion. So anyway, I wound up being "demoted" after being obtained by a black male security guard who seemed to take the women's side without knowing the full story. In hindsight I did handle things in a passive aggressive manner but sometimes we find our selfs in "damned if we do damned if we don't" situations. Also there's people that you just can't win with. I wound up getting a seat in a "box" sitting with people I didn't know on the ground floor. Some big boobed blonde woman was standing up obstructing my view but of course myself and nobody else would try to get her to sit down. Small price to pay I guess. I diddn't really enjoy the rest of PF's set and could barely enjoy the JT show although it was very very good.

Before the show started I saw two attractive forty something women parked near me. One smiled at me. I waited for them after the show. Maybe half an hour later they finally arrived(I'm guessing they weren't able to get with the band and finally came back). I wound up hugging an attractive brunette(not the one who smiled at me but her friend) for about two to three minutes after only talking to her for about five minutes. For some weird reason I didn't think of taking things further. I know pretty much for a fact I could have kissed her. She was a bit hammered but probably not totally drunk(not yet anyway). I had to find a way to have a positive experience with a woman after such a negative one. In that sense I succeeded(to a degree anyway). If it was men I probably would have decked one of them or gotten my ass beat but I was just defending myself here and kept the "violence" if you can calll it that to a minimum. They later continued to insult me and one of them called me a coward(the initial batch not the one I hugged obviously).

After this show I still had tickets to see Manuel Gottsching (of Ash Ra Tempel fame)and Return to Forever so I went to those. Nothing out of the ordinary there. Still this JT thing really made me hesitant to go back to concerts to some degree. Maybe not quite like a swimmer not wanting to go back into the water after getting bit by a shark but something like that.

Not that I'm proud of my story but I can't see many other stories topping that one.
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 04-01-2013 at 03:05 PM.

Not so sure.... the blonde (not exactly a brain too) actually scribbled on my Could Stand The Weather Lp (signed by SRV, Chris and Tommy) the "hat" circumstances of the autographs... kind of ruined the effect...

Oh you lucky guy. There's been so many that you can't even remember one of them? I mean even a bad lay is still a lay right(well to most of us anyway). Or maybe you don't remember because the both of you were just too drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Thanks for not forgetting Johnny.

Greatest blues player ever, IMO.
    Well, I knew that the only chance I'd get to go backstage was to find a hook into him (and could only think of Winter)... We spent some five or six mintes discussing hios days with Johnny and then Johnny's works without him

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Oh you lucky guy. There's been so many that you can't even remember one of them? I mean even a bad lay is still a lay right(well to most of us anyway). Or maybe you don't remember because the both of you were just too drunk.
    well, I do remember what she looked like naked (dynomite) and I do remember us fooling around (yes, we were zonked out), but I couldn't possibly rank or rate her as a top 5 or a top 15 lay... like the dude does in High Fidelity
    Don't get me wrong, I don't have a big enough a sexography to be able to make a top 50, but yeah, including one night-stands(like that SRV night), I've been around... but probably no more than the average dude my age and generation

But we're digressing from the concert anecdote, here

Speaking of getting laid and concerts, I've posted this anecdote here as well (but can't remember where, so I can't copy-paste it)

Daevid Allen's University of Errors gigs in Verviers... A wild gig where Daevid is dressed in a pastor or priest robe (and totally naked under it, as we'd find out later)... and his lead guitarist Josh Pollock is dressed in a kid pyjama and playing killer un-restrung right-handed guitar as a left hander (so he's playing it backwards >>> really impressive)... Daevid the priest is sometimes molesting the pyjama kid guitarist... the crowd is having a ball... Next to me is a sumptous brunette that I'd never seen before (the Spirit of 66 has more or less the same crowd over the years, so we kind of know each other all) ... or unfortunately since...

At one point, Daevid starts playing almost solo (I remember the stage being almost empty except for him) an acoustic version of Oh Caroline and while doing so, he's eyeing the babe next to me... and I mean staring!!! And the stunning brunette next to me is melting away, her legs going soft... At one point, my jacket slips from my shoulder onto the floor, so I bend to down to pick it up, but taking my bloody time on the way down and back up, to get an eyeful of the chick's sculptural ... her stone-washed extremely tght light-blue jeans are dark-blue in the crotch area (I mean almost dripping wet)... By the end of the song, I'm wondering if I can exploit the situation, but before I get a chance to think up a plan, she turns around, grabs the guy behind her (hadn't noticed that fuckhead before) and heads to the female bathromm (I did follow her with my eyes)... Didn't wonder a second what happened in the female loo for a second, but I wasn't about to try to snoop an eye, becausze I was upfront in the cfrowd with no way of returning if I left my spot.. I did see her around the end of the concert again (alone)

Anywayµ, just around the set's closure (there would be three encores that night), Darvid lifted his priest robe to show everyone his full frontal nudity... I'm sure the brunette got an eyeful of the culprit of her arousal

I might have glanced at them but past experience told me that saying something to them would be mostly futile and just entice them to talk more or be quiet for a few seconds only to start up again.
    And this is why it's best just to grin and bear it (especially if you're by yourself). I've never had any hangups about going to see films or concerts by myself. But I've found that it's best not be confrontational with strangers over something like talking too loud. It's just the way it is today. We think that everyone should have "common courtesy" (which is no longer common) so we get this idea that we can confront people and they'll just "get it." Forget it, it's almost a guarantee that your evening is gonna be ruined either way. I haven't gone to a movie or a concert in years. I just don't feel like deeling with it anymore. When you get a few friends together and the beer consumption kicks in, then all the bravado kicks in. It's just not worth the hassle.

I don't have any funny stories about concerts and stuff. I think I've been to 15 rock concerts in my entire life. I've had a few one night stands in my day though .

I'm not very rowdy at concerts, no puking stories and such.

One of my funniest/wildest was in the mid-80s, Peter Gabriel sitting next to me for a couple of numbers during his opening act Youssou D'dour (not sure of the spelling.) He just wandered down the aisle (University of Buffalo's Alumni Arena) and spotted an empty aisle seat and sat down. Meanwhile, my friends and I are all furiously nudging each other and making gestures towards my esteemed seat neighbor.

We didn't bother him, but after a couple of tunes he turned to me and said something about "aren't they great?" referring to his opening act. I agreed, he nodded and smiled and moved on to another unoccupied seat further down the aisle.

I guess he wanted to guage the audience reaction to his hand-picked openers. Actually, N'dour and his band joined PG on stage too during that tour.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Quote Originally Posted by ItalProgRules View Post
    Peter Gabriel sitting next to me
    Similarly....

Peter Hammill, London 1973: Sitting directly behind us, one Robert Fripp. No exchanges then, but we managed to get backstage where we talked with both; the Venal One was quite pleasant and Hammill couldn't believe that any Americans even knew who he was, let alone attend his concert.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Don't know if you'd call this either funny or wild, but I attended the 1994 Playboy Jazz Festival at the Hollywood Bowl, and met and talked to Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, James Worthy, Dan Rather, Richards Gere & Dreyfuss, and even shared some of my herbage with Jeff Goldblum & Laura Dern!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Don't know if you'd call this either funny or wild, but I attended the 1994 Playboy Jazz Festival at the Hollywood Bowl, and met and talked to Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, James Worthy, Dan Rather, Richards Gere & Dreyfuss, and even shared some of my herbage with Jeff Goldblum & Laura Dern!

I just realized today is April first so it is possible that this is an April Fool's joke. However, it seems pretty believable too. What do you guys think?

Not an April Fool's joke. Until I read your post I had completely forgotten any implications of today.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I just realized today is April first so it is possible that this is an April Fool's joke. However, it seems pretty believable too. What do you guys think?

and it just so happens, it's also the St Hugues catholic thing...

How about projectile vomiting at a Marillion concert 20 years ago at Toad's Place in New Haven, CT? (No, not me) I remember standing pretty close to the stage and there being a horrendous smell. Everybody around me kind of backed away from each other and there was a fairly large space with a puddle of puke in the middle of the floor. Steve H was understandably annoyed that no one was paying attention to him and jumped off the stage to see what the commotion was. He nearly went sliding into the puddle of puke face first! He made a quick jump back onto the stage. Several people were covered with vomit and it was so foul smelling in that club until the end of the show. Pretty gross, but I remember Mark Kelly bringing up the topic in an old issue of The Web USA magazine many years back!

I didn't think so Steve(progeezer)but just wanted to make sure.

Sneaking booze in...

- Gilmour at Massey Hall concert in 83 or 84... had three mickeys of rye cut 50% with ginger ale on me, one being almost empty, One I emptied before the cops, before putting it in the "confiscated bin" in front of them
    the second (mostly ginger ale) hidden in my rear jeans pocket that was obviously confiscated as well (it was intended it would be caught)
    the third one was in my boot-cut jeans at boot level, except that it wasn't a full-height boot I was wearing >> I got in with no further search once they wre content that they'd found the goat mickey

The Who at CNE grandstand on their last tour (83 I think): wearing a long full-leather coat down to my knees (thewind is bloody cold in November, so it's logical that its fully buttoned-up)... the full big rye bottle is hanging between (or just behind) my legs, inside a cloth bag, itself attached to the back of my belt..; The search is sloppy and not throrough (as was usual at the CNE back then)... I get by the cop control and the ticket control, but the vrtical tourniquet is in front of me... the lower bar bangs rather hard the bottle through my my coat and the cloth bag... Making a noise I swore they heard downtown... Fortunately a buddy is making a huge raucous by purposely stumbling on the ticket contriol table, thus drawing all attention to him... I hurry through and get lost in the crowd, while mybuddy appologizes for his clumsiness, but apparently they (security and management) believe something's foul, and he gets searched quasi-thouroughly.
    He missed the first 20 minutes of Joe Jackson's opening act set.

We always had our girlfriends sneak the booze in in their purses. Security used to pat down the guys but they just took a l'il peep into the girls' purses.

Not that we didn't hold up our end...the guys always smuggled in the
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Doing Whippets at a Rush concert.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ItalProgRules View Post
    We always had our girlfriends sneak the booze in in their purses. Security used to pat down the guys but they just took a l'il peep into the girls' purses.

Not that we didn't hold up our end...the guys always smuggled in the
    I had a friend who would sneak in a pretty sophisticated tape deck strapped around his shoulder under a coat. He would put a few beers in his pockets, which of course was the first thing the security Nazis found. My friend would just say "Oh, you got me! Can't blame a guy for trying!", and in he went.

My story is not necessarily funny or wild, but it is unique. When I saw Marillion at the University Of Rhode Island on Fish's last tour, I wore a blue sweatshirt with the old Capitol Records logo on the front, not knowing of course that the band was engaged in some discourse with their manager and EMI (we didn't have internet back then). Anyway, I was sitting on an aisle seat about halfway up. During a particurly edgy song (can't remember which, because they're all edgy), Fish walked up the steps and sat down right next to me while continuing the song. He was wearing that flame suit - that, I remember. The fucker is huge, btw. Then he patted me on the shoulder and headed back down.