Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: BIG BIG TRAIN - THE LIKES OF US MARCH 1st 2024

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    What? It DID come today! The tracking info was all wrong.

Ember
    One focused listen to the Atmos mix, not nearly enough. It's the same band. It's a different band. Either way, it's pretty great.

More emotional. Less British. Less history. More impressionist. Harder. Softer. Spectacular vocals, both as an ensemble and from Alberto, who is a very, very fine singer.

There is one member left from when I started listening to BBT (Spawton, of course). While he provides the obvious through-line, there is no denying that few brand-new listeners experiencing, say, "Underfall" and this album would identify them as by the same band. Yet the same appeal is there, the same heart, the same level of musicianship, the same degree of difficulty. And even without a full brass section and so many new people (and so few former members) I'm sure they will pull off the repertoire with the same impact and effect when we see them in a couple of days.

I can't wait, even more.

(PS: The Atmos mix is very well done. Immersive, not gimmicky, focuses on blend rather than separation but makes full use of the "spatialness." Extremely well-recorded. Need to try the 5.1 next, and then stereo on the headphones.)
    "I have not yet begun to procrastinate."

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ^ Do you have Atmos-specific equipment?

I just had one listen - to the CD. I can't say from that how much I'll like the album, but there were definitely parts I liked. I think with so many multi-instrumentalists and backing-vocalists in the band, it will be good to SEE the band performing some of these songs in order to see who's doing what. There were some nice, though for my taste too-short, keyboard and guitar solos, but there are a lot of keyboard and guitar players in the band at this point!

Now that I have and have listened to this album, I feel like the post-Longdon period of the band has actually begun. I know when I finished listening to it I let out a sigh of relief.

Ember
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    ^ Do you have Atmos-specific equipment?
    I do, yes. It's not high-end, but it's quite adequate (Denon/Definitive/Monolith) and I believe it does multichannel music justice.

I understand the feeling of relief. I like this band on its own merits -- there were some truly thrilling moments on the new album -- while at the same time wondering if I will begin to miss the band I fell in love with. Saturday will go a long way towards answering that question, hearing them play the "classic" BBT material.

I just now listened to the stereo mix on the pair of good but modest speakers I use with my PC, and it really held up. And now I have it on my phone!
    "I have not yet begun to procrastinate."

Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    One focused listen to the Atmos mix, not nearly enough. It's the same band. It's a different band. Either way, it's pretty great.
    5.1 for me. Didn't love it; didn't hate it - which is about where I usually land after a single listen to any prog album.

Having a first listen online right now, sounds very promising. I don't like Oblivion (an NDV song?) so I'll be skipping that but the rest sounds beautiful. Hopefully my cd will arrive tomorrow...

^^^ It is a Dave Foster and NDV co-write I believe. Not my favourite of the new bunch either, prefer the progressive to the rocky-regressive

Given that it's March 1st, I was hoping a DL would be available on Bandcamp, so I could listen on the way to Ft. Wayne, but alas, no such luck.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Given that it's March 1st, I was hoping a DL would be available on Bandcamp, so I could listen on the way to Ft. Wayne, but alas, no such luck.
    https://insideoutmusic.bandcamp.com/...h5ceOHvwDYK0Is
    <sig out of order>

Thanks, but that's a 1.4 Gig file. Not gonna play in the car, I don't think.

^ I purchased the download. After downloading the FLACs, I downloaded the WAVs, which are supposedly 2.4 gigabytes. However, when burning to CDR, it fits on 1 disc at ~74 minutes.

Shows how well I understand the technology.

And thank you, sir!

^ I purchased the download. After downloading the FLACs, I downloaded the WAVs, which are supposedly 2.4 gigabytes. However, when burning to CDR, it fits on 1 disc at ~74 minutes.

Shows how well I understand the technology.

And thank you, sir!
    You're welcome! Sounds like you figured it out in the end.
    <sig out of order>

It is up on Spotify and Apple Music too, so is very easy to stream if anybody is still waiting for the postman.

I want to see the show first. I'll buy the blu-ray there.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

As I said in another comment, Big Big Train has never clicked with me for a variety of reasons. I rather like this record. It makes me notice in parts in a way that some of their other music has not - the moment when I'm doing something else and something happens in the music that makes me notice. It's got melodies I like when I'm listening. It's got a good amount of soft/loud/soft moments. It's got nice instrumental sections I enjoy. Most of all, I like the new singer. I don't want to be a heretic or insulting, but I will say that the enjoyment of music is subjective. Some singers work for me and some don't. The kind that don't are the ones who sound somewhat stuffed up or nasal. That twang kind of hurts my ear (for example, the singer of Unitopia is very nasal). I don't want this to be thought of as speaking ill of the dead, just that my ear has preferences.

So far I enjoy this album more than I have previous BBT albums I've tried to connect with.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    As I said in another comment, Big Big Train has never clicked with me for a variety of reasons. I rather like this record. It makes me notice in parts in a way that some of their other music has not - the moment when I'm doing something else and something happens in the music that makes me notice. It's got melodies I like when I'm listening. It's got a good amount of soft/loud/soft moments. It's got nice instrumental sections I enjoy. Most of all, I like the new singer. I don't want to be a heretic or insulting, but I will say that the enjoyment of music is subjective. Some singers work for me and some don't. The kind that don't are the ones who sound somewhat stuffed up or nasal. That twang kind of hurts my ear (for example, the singer of Unitopia is very nasal). I don't want this to be thought of as speaking ill of the dead, just that my ear has preferences.

So far I enjoy this album more than I have previous BBT albums I've tried to connect with.
    You have every right to prefer Bravin to Longdon and should feel free to say so. If this album should be the one to make BBT finally click for you, it's fine.
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

This long interview with Greg was linked in the band's newsletter sent yesterday and is well worth a read of you want to understand all the sentiments behind the songs. I got the cd today and sat down for an hour for a first proper listen and really enjoyed it. David Longdon did not contribute to any of these songs but I still feel his presence in the words and music.

https://www.bigbigtrain.com/yes-this...e-likes-of-us/

No spoilers here I don't think. The show in Ft.Wayne last night before an enthusiastic crowd was very good. I'll post some pics after I get home. The show was a tiny tick over 2 hours long. Those who wanted to get the new CD to familiarize themselves with the songs before seeing the tour may be a little disappointed. Lots of energy, strong playing, a decent cross section of recent-ish material (I think.)

Merch was plentiful. Tour t-shirt, tote bag, the best tour program I've ever seen. Coffee cups, pint glasses, ball caps, beanies and other do-dads. They were also selling their Cruise To The Edge shirts already. Those on the cruise may want to be quick, so as not to miss out.

Now to decide if I want to double dip in Buffalo...

Those on the cruise may want to be quick, so as not to miss out.
    That's always good advice on CTTE as artists are limited with what they can bring. Generally, a lot of people hit the merch table as soon as stuff is up.

Great to hear the show was really good. I say, double dip!

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Picked this up yesterday in preparation for Tuesday's show. Two spins in, really liking this release. Was surprised to see David Lord's engineering credit, last I heard of him was his arrest for running a house of ill repute in Bath.

^ A bath house?
    Sorry, someone had to do it.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    PE roll call for the Regent? Karen and I will be about sixth row center.

Sorry I won't be there, Rick. I'm having two kidney stones removed that day.
    Its been too long since I went to the Regent! (Great venue)

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    Was surprised to see David Lord's engineering credit, last I heard of him was his arrest for running a house of ill repute in Bath.
    I was inclined to believe it can't be him but it pretty much looks like it is indeed him seeing that studio is now called Inner State: http://www.dlord.co.uk/

Not sure anyone's interested, but as promised a few pics from the opening gig of the tour in Ft. Wayne.

20240301_194309.jpg

20240301_200821.jpg

And one for Frankie:

20240301_212854.jpg

You will need to expand by clicking on the thumbnails.