Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Geddy Lee Says He and Alex Lifeson Could Perform as Rush Again

Geddy Lee Says He and Alex Lifeson Could Perform as Rush Again

From UltimateClassicBands.com-

Singer and bassist Lee and guitarist Lifeson said they wouldn't continue following the death of Peart, who joined the Canadian trio in 1974. But now Lee, in a new interview with The Washington Post, said he'd consider working with Lifeson again under the Rush name.

"It had been a taboo subject, and playing those songs again with a third person was the elephant in the room, and that kind of disappeared," Lee explained. "It was nice to know that if we decide to go out, Alex and I, whether we went out as part of a new thing, or whether we just wanted to go out and play Rush as Rush, we could do that now."

The idea was planted in Lee's head by Paul McCartney, who congratulated Lee and Lifeson at the Hawkins tribute after-party and said they should go back on the road.

Following their September 2022 stage reunion, Lee noted that he and Lifeson got together in the studio for the first time in years and jammed.

Lee, who's about to start a book tour for his new memoir, My Effin' Life, said Lifeson was "excited as offers rolled in after the Hawkins shows," but the guitarist had surgery in July for stomach problems.

"He needs to feel good and feel healthy and strong," Lee said of any plans for the pair. "And then maybe we have a discussion."

The two former bandmates played together for the first time onstage since the death of Peart at the two Hawkins tribute shows. They performed three Rush songs: "2112: Overture," "Working Man" and "YYZ."

Since Rush broke up, Lifeson started a new band, Envy of None, while Lee has kept busy on his book as well as with other projects. Rush also released a pinball game last year.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    ^^^ Saw Rush for the 1st time in Ottawa in 1976! Small crowd and 2112 was the focus of the show.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Says McCartney, who hasn't gone out with a partial Beatles reunion.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Says McCartney, who hasn't gone out with a partial Beatles reunion.
    He put out a new Beatles single, playing the part of "George" in addition to himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    He put out a new Beatles single, playing the part of "George" in addition to himself.
    If you read what Geddy says in the quote, he sounds more like he's talking about playing live under the Rush name. The Beatles single is weak sauce, as far as reunion tours go.

Way to re-ignite all the "If Rush went out with a different drummer..." chatter Ged! Oh well, gotta sell those books.

I'm seriously wondering if we'll get any more music from Mr. Lee. Not that he owes us anything, but he's on his second round of "well, I have to finish all this book business".

You know, almost everybody is focusing on if they think this is a good idea, and who could possibly fill Neil's shoes...and deservedly so. But, although I'm sure that he still has the bass chops, I can't help wondering how many Rush tunes that Geddy can still do justice to vocally, any more.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    You know, almost everybody is focusing on if they think this is a good idea, and who could possibly fill Neil's shoes...and deservedly so. But, although I'm sure that he still has the bass chops, I can't help wondering how many Rush tunes that Geddy can still do justice to vocally, any more.
    Certainly a valid consideration. Geddy strained and yelped his way through the final few tours IMO.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I'm fully with you re: the vocals in their latter years. To be fair, it would be unreasonable to think that he could be in his 60s and still sing like he did when he was in his 20s. However, if they did choose to perform under the Rush moniker again, I would guess they'd want to approach their material differently. All of this is conjecture, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    If you read what Geddy says in the quote, he sounds more like he's talking about playing live under the Rush name. The Beatles single is weak sauce, as far as reunion tours go.
    The Beatles stopped touring in 1966.

Anyhoo, yeah, Geddy's vocals. I love the guy, and Rush was my very first concert (AFtK tour), but he's really hard to listen to.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Although I have mixed feelings about all of this, if they toured together with a drummer I would be first in line to get a ticket no matter what they called it.

I think they should just make things different enough to try to avoid some direct comparisons to the past. Record new material, maybe bring in a keyboard player and a vocalist. Maybe a horn section, lol.
    I'd still go see that.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I think they should just make things different enough to try to avoid some direct comparisons to the past. Record new material, maybe bring in a keyboard player and a vocalist. Maybe a horn section, lol.
    I'd still go see that.
    Ya know, I get it was a joke, but I think horns would be kind of cool with a bunch of their stuff if done well. Not happening, but not crazy, IMO.

I'd still go see that.
    Agreed.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Mstove View Post
    Ya know, I get it was a joke, but I think horns would be kind of cool with a bunch of their stuff if done well. Not happening, but not crazy, IMO.
    It was a joke, but also I think it would be very fun to see for at least part of a show and on certain tunes.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    The Beatles stopped touring in 1966.
    No way. I saw the Beatles live in 1977. Paul (who was not dead,) preened and pranced like Mick Jagger. John and George seemed annoyed.

he's just saying this to sell more books.
    the key word is 'could'

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    he's just saying this to sell more books.
    the key word is 'could'
    What a cynical take. I don't think he needs to say this to sell books. How does him saying that make a fan want to buy a book about his life?

I'd still go see that.
    The Who went out with a horn section in 1989, the Tommy Tour. I remember some fans I knew thought it was lame, but personally I loved it, loved the big sound of the tour. Especially with Pete playing 95% acoustic guitar at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    The Who went out with a horn section in 1989, the Tommy Tour. I remember some fans I knew thought it was lame, but personally I loved it, loved the big sound of the tour. Especially with Pete playing 95% acoustic guitar at that time.
    I have the live DVD / album from that tour and think it is fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    I loved that show, as well.

It's hard for aging rockers and sports figures to put it on the shelf. They always yearn for past glories.

^^I'd say it is also often a need to continue creating and continue doing what they love to do in life. Unlike many, who are thrilled to leave their day job behind and enjoy retirement away from it.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    It's hard for aging rockers and sports figures to put it on the shelf. They always yearn for past glories.
    I don't see that applying to Rush so much but it seems to sum up Yes pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I don't see that applying to Rush so much but it seems to sum up Yes pretty well.
    I don't think Yes is "yearning for past glories." From all accounts, Steve Howe is happier than ever with the current lineup, they're creating new music, able to tour - why not carry on?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally