Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Roger Dean knockoff?

Another Roger Dean knockoff?

This Boost Inifinite commercial sure looks “inspired” by Roger Dean’s work.

Nah. It was "inspired" by Avatar... which was "inspired" by Dean. And a judge said it was fair use.

Someone needs to make a commercial with imagery inspired by Paul Whitehead's work! It'd be the first commercial I would willingly watch.
    Last edited by Czyszy; 11-02-2023 at 12:56 AM. Reason: emojis didn't render so I used the forum ersatz
    NG ~ BC ~ PA

Here's one you might like

Photo2263.jpg

I wonder if anyone sued the artist who was inspired by Monet. "No, only I'm allowed to do that blurry thing!"
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    I wonder if anyone sued the artist who was inspired by Monet. "No, only I'm allowed to do that blurry thing!"
    I believe that when Dean sued Cameron, he had alleged that Avatar had copied elements from his paintings. I would allege that this phone company did the same in their ad.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    I believe that when Dean sued Cameron, he had alleged that Avatar had copied elements from his paintings. I would allege that this phone company did the same in their ad.
    Like Dean holds the patent on floating rocks and shapes. That law suit was stupid. Take it as a compliment and move on. Jeeesh.
    Artist formerly known as Phlakaton

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Here's one you might like

Photo2263.jpg
    Well. Nobody has ever been to that magical mythological place called, China. Screenshot 2023-11-02 074059.jpg

Hey George Lucas sued Battlestar Gallactica in the 70's for plagiarism, and lost. Turns out both used spaceship concepts and stories from early sci-fi moves like Flash Gordon & Buck Rogers.

R2D2 was a knock-off of the robot in Silent Running. And even crazier, the special effects guy in Star Wars New Hope was John Dykstra, the guy who worked on Silent Running, and was later hired for Battlestar Gallactica which pissed Lucas off and he didn't hire him back for Empire.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    Hey George Lucas sued Battlestar Gallactica in the 70's for plagiarism, and lost. Turns out both used spaceship concepts and stories from early sci-fi moves like Flash Gordon & Buck Rogers.

R2D2 was a knock-off of the robot in Silent Running. And even crazier, the special effects guy in Star Wars New Hope was John Dykstra, the guy who worked on Silent Running, and was later hired for Battlestar Gallactica which pissed Lucas off and he didn't hire him back for Empire.
    What a riot. Luca$ stole, I mean borrowed from everywhere to cobble Star Wars together. It's literally a patchwork quilt of previously existing concepts and tropes. That he should sue anyone else over anything else is nothing short of ludicrous!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    This Boost Inifinite commercial sure looks “inspired” by Roger Dean’s work.
    Mountains come out of the sky and they stand there!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    This time of year the whole Pugent Sound looks blurry with varying shades of green and grey.

I don't know if it's a knockoff or not, at least not right now, but what I -do- know is that the matter needs to be resolved, and pretty damn soon, or else it might reave havoc on the scene and the potential for the sympho/prog to return in order to avenge its downfall from grace.

Tomorrow I'll might know more of whether ot not it's a knockoff and whether, in that case, it's a true knockoff as opposed to merely a semi-true one or perhaps even only a -false- knockoff.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

So... "Unobtainium," the rare anti-gravity element on Pandora that allows the Floating Mountains to float, this was the whole reason for humans to come to Pandora in the first Avatar movie.

In the second movie, it was nowhere to be seen. Humans were either there to make Pandora safe for human habitation-if you believe Carmela Soprano-or there to harvest the anti-aging serum from the heads of whales-if you believe Cap't Ahab.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I don't know if it's a knockoff [...] knockoff [...] knock
    In this superstar audience-roar film clip, Coverdale lets known how his girlfriend's got "huge knockers" - albeit's hidden underneath that incredibly genuine enthusiasm of flow from onlookers. It was a record-breaking evening at the Budokan, with almost 863,000 folks attending, including the entire chapter of Tokyo's very own, 47-man strong joint Bernard Manning/Benny Hill fanclub.

In fact, they're so popular with audience here that they overtook the entire empire and knocked off the blocks from the toxic cocks. OMG, tha loudness of that crowd must mean that they can't help but rule! Anyway, there's something about knockers in there and the original "Highway Star" features some perverted Bach reference etc., which makes it progressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5XAiF5onpo
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

how about those hundreds of other prog album covers that rip off roger dean too eh?

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    What a riot. Luca$ stole, I mean borrowed from everywhere to cobble Star Wars together. It's literally a patchwork quilt of previously existing concepts and tropes. That he should sue anyone else over anything else is nothing short of ludicrous!
    The Hidden Fortress for example.

Well, the composer of the score has been accused of lifting a few themes himself.

"Mediocre artists borrow. Great artists steal."

NG ~ BC ~ PA

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    This time of year the whole Pugent Sound looks blurry with varying shades of green and grey.
    Not sure if that's one too many n's or one too few.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

I've been having a bit of fun with AI image creators recently

Floating Islands 2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Czyszy View Post
    I believe the Greenslade logo is Dean. Not sure about the other one, but Roger has been known to collaborate with video game companies.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Not sure if that's one too many n's or one too few.
    Named after the Emerald City Madman, Ted Pugent.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    I've been having a bit of fun with AI image creators recently

Floating Islands 2.jpg
    That looks like something from "Castle in the Sky" from Studio Ghibli. Time to sue the AI? Or did Miyazaki steal the idea from Roger Dean?

I've a question. Is every island in a sky automatically a Roger Dean rip-off?
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!