Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Defending the Indefensible: Rush - Hold Your Fire

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The eons are closing

Defending the Indefensible: Rush - Hold Your Fire

Admittedly a sensationalized topic header - but I truly think this album is the bottom of their catalog.

However, I did enjoy this attempt

https://www.spin.com/2023/08/band-ju...old-your-fire/
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

I would place Presto, Counterparts, Test for Echo, Vapor Trails, and Snakes and Arrows all below HYF personally. It's far from perfect (especially the 80s production), but there are some killer moments and playing.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I would place Presto, Counterparts, Test for Echo, Vapor Trails, and Snakes and Arrows all below HYF personally. It's far from perfect (especially the 80s production), but there are some killer moments and playing.
    Totally. Just listen to the HYF songs live and you can hear it very clearly.

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    I bought this when it came out and mostly still love it (despite the 80s production and Alex's guitar tone). It's a solid album.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bytor View Post
    Totally. Just listen to the HYF songs live and you can hear it very clearly.
    Agreed, HYF has some excellent Rush songs on it. I'm a big fan of that one.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Add Roll the Bones for me. When HYF came out, I felt like it was Power Windows Junior. I've always skipped Tai Shan and High Water, and in more recent years, Second Nature has joined that list. But when it's good, it's good, and Neil absolutely smokes on this one.

Add Roll The Bones to that list and I'm in.
    <sig out of order>

I take off Test for Echo and replace it with Roll the Bones. T4E is far from great but I like it and actively listen to it from time to time. I like over half the material on it whereas I dislike 80% of the material on the other albums mentioned.

I don't listen to HYF much because having heard some of the songs live, it shows how tame the production is. But the songs are mostly great with Mission a standout. Mission might be the last song to feature one of their signature wacky instrumental breakdowns, until you get to Clockwork Angels. Things got a lot less proggy after HYF.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post

I take off Test for Echo and replace it with Roll the Bones. T4E is far from great but I like it and actively listen to it from time to time. I like over half the material on it whereas I dislike 80% of the material on the other albums mentioned.
    I’ve always thought that half of Test for Echo is great. Not “great for its time.” I mean just great.

It’s also the first Rush album I bought when it was released, so that likely influences my perspective.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    I’ve always thought that half of Test for Echo is great. Not “great for its time.” I mean just great.

It’s also the first Rush album I bought when it was released, so that likely influences my perspective.
    Test for Echo is a good candidate for "defending the indefensible" because it usually comes in last in fan polls. In a guitar magazine, Alex said T4E achieved what they were trying to do with Counterparts, but otherwise the band doesn't refer to it much. The final R40 tour didn't have any tunes from T4E. Its detractors have called it tired and uninspired, but I don't hear it. Yes, there are some cringey lyrics but Neil actually took drum lessons and changed his grip for the album, hardly what a tired, uninspired drummer would do.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

I bought this when it came out and mostly still love it (despite the 80s production and Alex's guitar tone). It's a solid album.

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Admittedly a sensationalized topic header - but I truly think this album is the bottom of their catalog.

However, I did enjoy this attempt

https://www.spin.com/2023/08/band-ju...old-your-fire/
    The bottom?? No way. That honor goes to Roll the Bones.

One of the best songs Rush ever did is on this album in Turn The Page. Too bed it was only played live on that tour & never done again. I seem to remember Geddy stating in an interview that it made him dizzy to play this song, due to the complex vocal, bass & keyboard arrangements.

Quote Originally Posted by dgtlman View Post
    One of the best songs Rush ever did is on this album in Turn The Page.
    F Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by dgtlman View Post
    One of the best songs Rush ever did is on this album in Turn The Page. Too bed it was only played live on that tour & never done again. I seem to remember Geddy stating in an interview that it made him dizzy to play this song, due to the complex vocal, bass & keyboard arrangements.
    "Turn the Page" and "Open Secrets" are my favorites. The rest of the album could suck and I'd still own it for those two!

Nope, Hold Your Fire is one of my many fave Rush albums. It rocks all the way through with only Tai Shan being skipped. It has light and shade and high drama on The Manhattan Project. Mission and Time Stand Still amongst others are fantastic. I saw them twice in London on this tour which was a blast and the Show of Hands VHS/DVD is probably my most played live music video ever - absolutely love it.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Nope, Hold Your Fire is one of my many fave Rush albums. It rocks all the way through with only Tai Shan being skipped. It has light and shade and high drama on The Manhattan Project. Mission and Time Stand Still amongst others are fantastic. I saw them twice in London on this tour which was a blast and the Show of Hands VHS/DVD is probably my most played live music video ever - absolutely love it.
    I even like Tai Shan. Manhattan Project is on Power Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I even like Tai Shan. Manhattan Project is on Power Windows.
    Correct! I do think that PW and HYF make a perfect pair, both sounding very sonically similar. Love em both.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Correct! I do think that PW and HYF make a perfect pair, both sounding very sonically similar. Love em both.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk
    Agree!

Mission and Time Stand Still amongst others are fantastic.
    Mission live is just glorious. Alex solo is one of his finest. Neil drum parts on Time Stand Still is a masterclass in drum writing.

Not being a Rush follower, I didn't even notice the release of this at the time even though I had enjoyed the previous Power Windows a lot. When I noticed the next one, Presto, I picked it up because I had enjoyed PW. Not being a huge Rush fan, still haven't heard this one, HYF, more than a few times, it was years ago. Definitely coming back to it in the future, not only because it's 80s Rush but also because it gave 4 songs to the great live album A Show of Hands; Signals is sort of in the same category for me as HYF, from that perspective of not being not too familiar but having much obvious potential, and, so, looking forward to hours of listening to HYF and Signals and other 80s Rush releases in the future.

Oh no Hold Your Fire is ok. Medium level Rush.

1. Signals ****½
    2. Moving Pictures ****½
    3. Grace Under Pressure ****½
    4. Permanent Waves ****
    5. Clockwork Angels ***½
    6. Hemispheres ***½
    7. Presto ***½
    8. Power Windows ***
    9. Roll The Bones ***
    10. A Farewell To Kings ***
    11. Hold Your Fire ***
    12. 2112 ***
    13. Test For Echo ***
    14. Caress Of Steel **½
    15. Counterparts **½
    16. Snakes & Arrows **
    17. Feedback **
    18. Fly By Night **
    19. Vapor Trails **
    20. Rush **
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Oh no Hold Your Fire is ok. Medium level Rush.

1. Signals ****½
    2. Moving Pictures ****½
    3. Grace Under Pressure ****½
    4. Permanent Waves ****
    5. Clockwork Angels ***½
    6. Hemispheres ***½
    7. Presto ***½
    8. Power Windows ***
    9. Roll The Bones ***
    10. A Farewell To Kings ***
    11. Hold Your Fire ***
    12. 2112 ***
    13. Test For Echo ***
    14. Caress Of Steel **½
    15. Counterparts **½
    16. Snakes & Arrows **
    17. Feedback **
    18. Fly By Night **
    19. Vapor Trails **
    20. Rush **
    OK, as my back is playing up and I can't concentrate on work...

Great Rush
    1. Power Windows (I know I just said HYF was my favourite, but I've changed my mind)
    2. Hold Your Fire
    3. Moving Pictures
    4. Permanent Waves
    5. A Farewell to Kings

Good Rush
    6. Presto
    7. Signals
    8. Grace Under Pressure
    9. Roll The Bones
    10. Hemispheres

OK Rush
    11. 2112
    12. Fly by Night
    13. Rush

Who cares? Well, some of you, but I don't!
    In no particular order: Test for Echo, Caress of Steel, Counterparts, Snakes & Arrows, Feedback, Vapor Trails, Clockwork Angels
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

^He puts Feedback above Vapor Trails. That's just wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    ^He puts Feedback above Vapor Trails. That's just wrong.
    And higher than Fly By Night too

And Test For Echo over Caress Of Steel

And Roll The Bones higher than Farewell To Kings

Quote Originally Posted by Bytor View Post
    And higher than Fly By Night too

And Test For Echo over Caress Of Steel

And Roll The Bones higher than Farewell To Kings