Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paul Kantner's "Blows Against The Empire"

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Spencer Dryden was one of rock's better drummers. It was JA's misfortune losing him, and the New Riders gained a superb timekeeper.
    Hard to believe it's the same guy, though. After all the creative drumming with JA, to hear nothing but straight 4/4 with NRPS - not that they needed anything more than that, but also compare with the Grateful Dead's drummers.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    One tribute after his death ends with: "Lather was 30 years old today, they took away all of his toys." – Grace Slick (January 13, 2005)
    Ah yes, the only song I know of to feature a nose solo.
    What we feel we have to solve is why the dregs have not dissolved.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar

NRPS had a few good jams, although this one is more of a showcase for Buddy Cage than for Spencer.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Last edited by Trane; 08-23-2023 at 05:05 PM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Today would have been Paul's 83rd birthday.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Count me in as a huge fan of Blows Against the Empire, in fact of all three of the pre-Jefferson Starship Kantner-Slick albums, with my favourite probably being Baron von Tollbooth. They were certainly a step above the rather insipid albums release by the Airplane post-Volunteers. I'm also a big fan of the mid-70s Jefferson Starship releases, too, and really see them as a natural progression from K-S trio of albums, though with an added stadium rock dimension that reflected changing musical tastes in the 70s. The only one of 74-79 series of albums that really strikes me as poor is Earth, which in my opinion suffered from an excess of outside writers and a consequent lack of cohesiveness. The albums up to then, and Freedom at Point Zero that followed are great, imho, and I actually rather like the fact that they're so musically diverse.

Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
    Count me in as a huge fan of Blows Against the Empire, in fact of all three of the pre-Jefferson Starship Kantner-Slick albums, with my favourite probably being Baron von Tollbooth. They were certainly a step above the rather insipid albums release by the Airplane post-Volunteers. I'm also a big fan of the mid-70s Jefferson Starship releases, too, and really see them as a natural progression from K-S trio of albums, though with an added stadium rock dimension that reflected changing musical tastes in the 70s. The only one of 74-79 series of albums that really strikes me as poor is Earth, which in my opinion suffered from an excess of outside writers and a consequent lack of cohesiveness. The albums up to then, and Freedom at Point Zero that followed are great, imho, and I actually rather like the fact that they're so musically diverse.
    I do think Sunfighter would've deserved a better (read more Sci-Fi) artwork that it merited, but I do think those three "solo/duo/trio" albums are
    very great, as is even more Grace's Manhole (easily topping them, IMHO). (see post a couple just above)

Indeed, all 4 are much better than Bark & LJS, as if Paul & Grace saved their better ideas for their side-projects. Of course, too many songwriters in the Airplane must've not been easy to deal with.

However, I'm really not a JS fan, and each new album slid down one or two notches from the previous one.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
    i agree about the first three Slick/Kantner albums being better than Bark or LJS. Disagree about the JS 70's albums Dragonfly and Red Octopus, which I found excessively slick (no pun intended) and musically bland.
    What we feel we have to solve is why the dregs have not dissolved.