Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Trevor Rabin's New Solo CD Rio

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    It is a very good album. However...

This is not remotely true!
    Whatever became of the whole “progressive vs prog/mindset vs distinct genre of music” thing anyway?
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

It is a very good album. However...

This is not remotely true!
    Not being disrespectful, but I think we have to remind ourselves, these are opinions.
    I appreciate what Sean brings to the table when I read his thoughts or views on a song or album.
    I also appreciate your thoughts and reviews on songs and albums.
    I kind of know what both of you enjoy and how you approach listening to new material.
    So, when I listen to something new, I will often look for those points to see if I agree or not with them.
    Often, I form my own opinion on what I like, and they can be different than what you both like.
    The wheel just keeps on turning.

Thank you both for your contributions here.
    Last edited by Top Cat; 08-10-2023 at 07:35 AM.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Is he releasing a new single every time there is a full moon?

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Not being disrespectful, but I think we have to remind ourselves, these are opinions.
    I appreciate what Sean brings to the table when I read his thoughts or views on a song or album.
    I kind of know what both of you enjoy and how you approach listening to new material.
    So, when I listen to something new, I will often look for those points to see if I agree or not with them.
    Often, I form my own opinion on what I like, and they can be different than what you both like.

NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO that's not how we roll round these parts!! We rip to shreds the satin sheets that drape across the sacred cows of others and use the tattered fabric to build our rage nest upon the tree of self-righteousness

Holy crap, I just wrote a new Jon Anderson lyric

If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    Is he releasing a new single every time there is a full moon?
    No. He releases new single when he eats at Chez Nous.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Meanwhile, in the land of less snarky responses...

I'm happy to hear the balance of the album has a bit more adventurousness than Big Mistake, and am looking forward to hearing it all in due time. Jacaranda was a wonderful showcase for Rabin and his many strengths.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO that's not how we roll round these parts!! We rip to shreds the satin sheets that drape across the sacred cows of others and use the tattered fabric to build our rage nest upon the tree of self-righteousness

Holy crap, I just wrote a new Jon Anderson lyric [emoji38]

Naaaah. More like Sinfield.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    .....ok yeah, well played

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I heard the whole album today and it's REALLY good. Imagine the level of sophistication Jacaranda had, but with vocals. That level of detail and often dense layering. This first tune is an obvious single and pretty simple compared to the rest of the record. I'd venture to say that this album has his best guitar playing yet. All those little flourishes and intricate intros are here. Imagine the beginning of Miracle of Life, but densely layered with counterpoint and such. We heard some of that on Jacaranda. It's really to the fore here though in a number of tunes. "Push" (w/Vinnie Colaiuta on drums) is one, "Paradise" is another. There's four or five tunes that are more progressive than anything on the recent Yes album. Certainly moreso than anything on Can't Look Away. His soundtrack work informs a lot of this too. The symph ballad "Oklahoma" is a good example. There's a sort of rootin', tootin' bluegrass tune too called "Goodbye". Not unlike the token country tune on a Steve Morse album. Rabin's work since Jacaranda has been in that ballpark at times. Not just the country tune either. A couple tunes have a jazz inspiration too, though it's through a twisted lens. "Tumbleweed" has harmony vocals stacked like the Manhattan Transfer. Then it boils down into sort of a Rundgren style ballad. The closer, "Toxic", sounds like the Transfer lost at blues rave. You know all those little shreddy flourishes on Yes albums? Think of the acoustic solo in "Shoot High, Aim Low". There's more of that here than ever before. Everything you dig about his playing is here but MORE of it. His vocals sound untouched by time and are often really high. I can't imagine them ever being nailed live, but in the studio you can do anything.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Being a big fan of Trevor's Can't Look Away I look forward to this new one (warts and all as they say). Judging just by this it does sound (at least to me) like a continuation of CLA but in my book that's not a bad thing.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post

I have nothing but love for Sean. Of course these are all opinions.*

* Except on this, where I'm right.
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    Damn…and now we have to wait two agonizing months.
    It may turn out to be the hardest thing I've ever done. I'll probably need some combination of yoga, meditation, and lemon water. If that doesn't work, there's always sedatives.

We rip to shreds the satin sheets that drape across the sacred cows of others and use the tattered fabric to build our rage nest upon the tree of self-righteousness

I was going to ask you if I can borrow this..lol more like Fish than Jon I'm afraid.

I have nothing but love for Sean. Of course these are all opinions.*

* Except on this, where I'm right.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Sounds quite promising! Maybe I learn to tolerate Rabin's way of producing vocals...
    I'm sure that's his goal!

Quote Originally Posted by Mstove View Post
    I'm sure that's his goal!
    So happy to hear that!
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    So happy to hear that!

I will add that I don't think he looked to write anything particularly progressive. Sometimes it's the way he layers the instruments on top of the songs that take it closer to that ideal.

Well I just pre-ordered it on blue vinyl from Lasers Edge.

I'm torn between the blue and yellow vinyl editions myself.

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Good track and catchy but kind of simplistic, I'd want to hear a few more tracks. Can't Look Away was a pretty decent album, so this could have some potential.

After spending a week with the album my thoughts have shifted some. Here's a few thoughts on each tune...

Big Mistakes- The big, pop opener. The simplistic two chord progression seemed sort of lazy at first, but now I'm on board. It's a big hook, really. This one sort of reminds me of "Walls" off Talk. There's some great bass playing from Trevor on this one that more than makes up for the rather simple guitar. That opening drum full is badass, btw. Who is that? The outro solo is great and reminds me of the outro solo on "The Calling".

Push- This is the big "proggy" one. Complete with Vinnie Colaiuta killing it on drums. I wonder if this was tracked back when Vinnie did tracks for Trevor's Jacaranda album. It's sort of kin to "Market Street" off that one. The last couple minutes offer up some dazzling guitar playing. Reminds me of something Steve Morse would do, they way the guitars are orchestrated.

Oklahoma- No, not a cover from the musical. Thankfully! This is a big ballad with epic qualities and a lot of soundtrack influence. Sweeping orchestral strings and such in the background. Beautiful guitar solo on this one. Sort of slows the pace of the album this far up front though, I am sometimes tempted to skip to the next track instead.

Paradise- This is easily the other symph pop tune and offers a HUGE EARWORM with it's chorus. This is super happy and rather commercial. In other hands it could be pretty banal, but Trevor's production and playing elevates it beyond that. Super tasty guitar solo with that slightly distorted acoustic tone, ala "Where Will You Be". There's some proggy window dressing on this one. Could have worked as a Yes tune.

Thandi- This is one of the weirdest tunes on the album. Not sure what it's about. It starts with some Indian rhythmic singing and then goes into guitar overdrive. The last couple minutes are the hottest, most shreddy solo I've heard TR commit to tape on any album I've heard. It echoes a bit of his McLaughlin inspired solo spot during "Yours Is No Disgrace" as well. Absolutely rippin' and pretty darn proggy.

Goodbye- This is a shreddy country tune. The verse is almost a country cliche, but the chorus is pure arena rock. With a beat that reminds me of "Born In The USA", of all things. The solo on this is super slick. Think of the country licks on "The Calling" on steroids. There's even a barroom piano solo in there...

Tumbleweed- This one is unlike anything on a prior Rabin album. It starts with a acapella jazz harmony vocal. Sounds like he's been listening to Jacob Collier to me. This gives way to a moody mid tempo tune that wouldn't be out of place on a Todd Rundgren album.

These Tears- Another ballad that is along the lines of "Where Will You Be", sorta.

Egoli- Remember "Sorrow" from Can't Look Away? The tune with the South African influences? This seems like a kin to that tune. More of that influence. This is the alternative, Zulu name for Johannesburg, South Africa. So that makes sense.

Toxic- This one starts with one of his beautiful multi-layered guitar intros and gives way to a sort of almost ZZ Top blues boogie groove. With tons of great bluesy playing. Some of those stacked, jazzy harmony vocals pop up here too. "Break out, break in. Break all you need to win..."

I take back the comment that this is more prog on it than the new Yes album. Only three or so tunes here seem in that vein. Though proggy touches abound all over. If you like/love Trevor, this one is a no brainer.
    Last edited by Sean; 08-16-2023 at 11:36 PM.

....and Henry for the win!

All kidding aside, I really appreciate that you took the time to detail all the songs here. This is looking more and more tempting!

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    So no atonal accordion music over Trent Reznor beats?
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    So no atonal accordion music over Trent Reznor beats?
    That would be the hidden track that happens 90125 milliseconds after the end of Toxic... Just gotta be patient ;-)
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Thanks for the added insights Sean! I'm really looking forward to hearing the whole thing.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021