Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: What surround mix did you listen today?

Which of the Hackett albums from that box set have remixes and which are upmixed?

My memory is the upmixes were the reason I didn’t spring for the box but I’d like to pick up the others if I can.

So it looks like Please Don't Touch and Spectral Mornings are the remixed ones with Voyage and Defector being upmixes so they're now added to my (long) wish list.

Quote Originally Posted by taliesin View Post
    So it looks like Please Don't Touch and Spectral Mornings are the remixed ones with Voyage and Defector being upmixes so they're now added to my (long) wish list.
    Seems you have answered your own question!

The strange thing about the information on the Premonitions-set is that Steven Wilson is credited for the New 5.1 surround sound mixes of Please Don't Touch and Spectral Morning, but that no one is credited for the new pseudo 5.1 surround up-mixes of Voyage Of The Acolyte and Defector. Not on the back-cover nor in the book.

Which of the Hackett albums from that box set have remixes and which are upmixed?

My memory is the upmixes were the reason I didn’t spring for the box but I’d like to pick up the others if I can.
    Forgot that all four albums are available as stand alone with the surround and surround up-mixes.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Forgot that all four albums are available as stand alone with the surround and surround up-mixes.
    Yes but it looks like I've missed out on those as they're out of print. Keeping an eye on Discogs/ebay to see if they come up at a reasonable price.

I was in a Van Der Graaf Generator-mood yesterday and listened to the Stephen W. Tayler 5.1 surround sound mixes of Godbluff and Still Life. The versions of these albums were originally released in a boxset, but I bought these when they became available seperately. I think these two classics show the band at their most elegant state of mind and the gentle surround mixes do justice to this.

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Today I listened to the Thrak 2015 5.1 surround (DTS-HD) mix.

My wife loved it, but I was unsure. I do like the stereo 2015 mix (tho it loses some ballz at the expense of separation) - but the 5.1 didnot "wow me" (if that's allowed on school property.....)

It was fine: highlights +
    Vroom and Vroom Vroom Coda; walking on air, one time and the chamber music section of Dinosaur.
    Finally listened to this Thrak-surround mix. What I like about it is that the double trio-line up is well represented in the 5.1 mix. It is as if this album was made for surround sound. The music itself does not do as much to me as Discipline did though.

I gotta get the XTC sets - dammit!
    Some of them are on offer from Burning Shed right now: https://burningshed.com/store/ape/ape_sale?

Finally listened to this Thrak-surround mix. What I like about it is that the double trio-line up is well represented in the 5.1 mix. It is as if this album was made for surround sound. The music itself does not do as much to me as Discipline did though.
    I agree with every point you raised. Thrak was made for surround.

Bryan Ferry: Boys And Girls. This SACD was released in 2005. It's one of the best sounding 5.1 mixes I heard. So much details, so much musicians. Yeah, you could say Ferry did this one the Steely Dan/Gaucho way.

Bryan Ferry: Boys And Girls. This SACD was released in 2005. It's one of the best sounding 5.1 mixes I heard. So much details, so much musicians. Yeah, you could say Ferry did this one the Steely Dan/Gaucho way.
    Oh man! That is one of my favorite albums (along with “Avalon” by RM). It always impressed me as a recording, as well as th killer compositions. So well-engineered. I’ll have to look for it to see if I can get it for a good price.

Thank you!!

Another classic-album in the player this week: 461 Ocean Boulevard from Eric Clapton. The 2004-SACD edition has a fine surround mix. Most instruments are steady on the five speakers, except the various drum-elements are on all. This suits the bluesy music from Clapton.
    I bought this album mostly because of the track Let It Grow, which I heard for the first time in 1979 when a girlfriend ended our budding relation, saying "let it grow"... The track doesn't really fit on this album though, because of its almost progressive instrumentation with that symphonic ARP synth in the beautiful climax.

I've added two new surround mixes to my collection and listened to them today.

- Gentle Giant: The Missing Piece. The Dolby Atmos-mix by Steven Wilson is quite nice. The music has been discussed in other threads over here, so I can just add that the surround mix isn't as spectacular as previous releases, mainly because Gentle Giant made less effectful music on this album. Not a lot of harmony vocals here. But still a fine album I hadn't bought in 1977, so I only know some of the tracks from live-recordings.

- Air: Moon Safari. The Dolby Atmos-mix is on the Blu-Ray that comes with the 2CD/Blu-Ray set to celebrate the 25th anniversary of this album. The spacy, lounge-pop with great Moog-effects suites the surround mix very well.

[QUOTE=interbellum;1238325]I've added two new surround mixes to my collection and listened to them today.

- Gentle Giant: The Missing Piece. The Dolby Atmos-mix by Steven Wilson is quite nice. The music has been discussed in other threads over here, so I can just add that the surround mix isn't as spectacular as previous releases, mainly because Gentle Giant made less effectful music on this album. Not a lot of harmony vocals here. But still a fine album I hadn't bought in 1977, so I only know some of the tracks from live-recordings.

I finally had my first listen to the Missing Piece last night - I liked it a lot. There's still enough interplay between voices and (particularly) between guitar and keyboards that have been placed around you that as usual there are parts I'd never noticed before.

And finally being able to hear the bass (in both the 5.1 and stereo mixes) gives the whole album so much more muscle and punch.

I played Bruford's One Of A Kind, the Jakko Jakszyk 5.1 mix that came in the boxset Seems Like A Lifetime Ago, although it's also available seperate.

Great album, but I still have some trouble listening to this mix. Jakko made some strange choices, which make it all a bit unbalanced at times. In some cases he starts a Holdsworth-solo left-behind to continue it in the front-left speaker. I guess it would have been better to mix this album without to many surround-tricks. I must say though that the mix sounds better when you play it loud. When I played it softer it sounded even weirder.

I played Bruford's One Of A Kind, the Jakko Jakszyk 5.1 mix that came in the boxset Seems Like A Lifetime Ago, although it's also available seperate.

Great album, but I still have some trouble listening to this mix. Jakko made some strange choices, which make it all a bit unbalanced at times. In some cases he starts a Holdsworth-solo left-behind to continue it in the front-left speaker. I guess it would have been better to mix this album without to many surround-tricks. I must say though that the mix sounds better when you play it loud. When I played it softer it sounded even weirder.
    Hmm…I don’t remember that, so I will check my copy by listening.

The eons are closing

This is one of my top 20 albums all time; played this up thread and did not like it that much; but the surround is better than the stereo remix/master.

Edit: while I did say up thread that I was gonna play it (and I did) - i guess I never posted my dislike - but it was better than my experience of the stereo rejiggering.

Sent from my NE2217 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MudShark22; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:01 PM.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

This is one of my top 20 albums all time; played this up thread and did not like it that much; but the surround is better than the stereo remix/master.

Edit: while I did say up thread that I was gonna play it (and I did) - i guess I never posted my dislike - but it was better than my experience of the stereo rejiggering.
    I guess I have to play it more often to really get into this mix. I'm so used to the original, which I bought on release in 1979.

Wish I had had the opportunity to make a new mix of that album in surround - I feel that remix missed the point. SWTx

KC's Power to Believe was on the playlist last night - the mix works well to be able to hear the individual guitar and stick parts more clearly.

Looks like David Singleton did the mix - it's a bit more conservative than some but still works.

The eons are closing
    KC's Power to Believe was on the playlist last night - the mix works well to be able to hear the individual guitar and stick parts more clearly.

Looks like David Singleton did the mix - it's a bit more conservative than some but still works.
    I have this but did not listen yet...
    Thanks for reminder

Sent from my NE2217 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

I must admit I haven't got any 5.1-KC-albums after Three Of A Perfect Pair apart from Thrak. I guess my favorite period is the Discipline-era + the Wettom/Bruford-period. Although I do have Power To Believe and some other later albums on "normal" CD's.

If I had to pick I'd agree that the 80's and Wetton/Bruford stuff would be my favourites from KC but I like Power the most of anything they've done since Discipline/Beat. It has some really strong stuff on it.

Just listened to the 5.1 surround mix from Duke. Although Wind & Wuthering has always been my favorite Genesis-album, the last couple of years Duke has become my most played one. I guess that's partly because I love Phil Collins' almost desperate vocals on most of the songs, the powerful drums, the wonderful return of themes in Duke's End and the emotional melodies in some songs. But I must admit I mostly played it with my headphones on, so I'm not very familiar with this surround mix. I like it though.