Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: What surround mix did you listen today?

Tonight I listened to two quite different classics.

First Rush' Moving Pictures, released in 2011 as deluxe edition with a DVD with a fine surround mix. Not spectacular though; I expected the drums to be more often in all five speakers. But there are some fine surround effects, especially from the keyboards.

Then Some Great Reward from Depeche Mode, released in 2006 in a Collectors Edition, featuring a DVD with a great 5.1 surround mix. The synthipop of Depeche Mode had become full grown with this album and all those wonderful effects come to life very well in the surround mix.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Tonight I listened to two quite different classics.

First Rush' Moving Pictures, released in 2011 as deluxe edition with a DVD with a fine surround mix. Not spectacular though; I expected the drums to be more often in all five speakers. But there are some fine surround effects, especially from the keyboards.

Then Some Great Reward from Depeche Mode, released in 2006 in a Collectors Edition, featuring a DVD with a great 5.1 surround mix. The synthipop of Depeche Mode had become full grown with this album and all those wonderful effects come to life very well in the surround mix.
    Ooh…Rush. i have not ever heard Rush in Surround…I think that amongst my standard Rush CDs I might have a special package or two, so perhaps some Surround Rush is waiting for me.

Thanks for the push!

I do have the Snakes & Arrows-CD/DVD (https://www.discogs.com/release/2604...-Snakes-Arrows)
    There are 3 "Sector" boxsets, which includes 5.1 surround mixes of a couple of their albums:

https://www.discogs.com/master/444353-Rush-Sector-1

While reading Themes For Great Cities by Graeme Thomson, which describes the first years of Simple Minds, I listen to those first album since a long time. I didn't even have the debut Life In A Day, but found a nice boxset with the first three CD's. This weekend I was reading the chapter on New Gold Dream (81, 82, 83, 84), while listening to the fine 5.1 surround mix which can be found in the boxset, released in 2016. Lots of details in the back-speakers. The only thing I don't like is the inclusion of the song In Every Heaven which wasn't on the original LP. That song doesn't have the same quality as the previous tracks.

Inspired by the blu-ray of Peter Gabriel's latest i/o I listened to his previous studio-recording: the SACD from UP (2003). Some wonderful surround-mixing on tracks like Darkness and Signal To Noise. It's been years since I lisened to this one. But I must say: I wish Gabriel would have released surround mixes from his third and fourth soloalbum; for me that are the best things he did. (I have PGIV/Security and Passion on SACD too, but both are stereo-only ).

This weekend I found a copy of the Fugazi-boxset from Marillion. This includes a full blu-ray, including a 5.1 surround mix. I know this album from the moment it was released, so this it was a nice adventure listening to this mix. I must say they did a good job. In the beginning it's a bit strange to hear the lead vocals from the centre speaker, but after a while it becomes clear this is done to give all the other vocals and vocal-effects all their space in the other speakers.

The eons are closing
    Would love to hear Clutching... in 5.1
    Will have to grab that box set at some pt
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Been on a bit of a Genesis surround binge - Foxtrot, Trick, W&W and Duke.

I know the stereo mixes aren't popular but I like the 5.1 mixes quite a bit - they're on the conservative side but but especially on Trick and W&W there are instrumental layers that are spread around so you can hear them more clearly.

Don't know if the double disc sets are available any more but for me they're worth picking up if they are.

Quote Originally Posted by taliesin View Post
    Been on a bit of a Genesis surround binge - Foxtrot, Trick, W&W and Duke.

I know the stereo mixes aren't popular but I like the 5.1 mixes quite a bit - they're on the conservative side but but especially on Trick and W&W there are instrumental layers that are spread around so you can hear them more clearly.

Don't know if the double disc sets are available any more but for me they're worth picking up if they are.
    I'm happy to have all those double disc sets in the boxsets; the individual double discs are available but pricy.
    That being said: I have to listen more to those albums in surround.

I'm happy to have all those double disc sets in the boxsets; the individual double discs are available but pricy.
    That being said: I have to listen more to those albums in surround.
    Yes I got the SACD versions of the first two boxes and picked up the later albums box for cheap when they had a pricing issue on Amazon.

The two boxes that go up to Abacab were nobrainers, but I'm happy I jumped on the last one as well - hearing those in surround has definitely helped me enjoy them more. I've developed a real fondness for Calling All Stations and the job that Ray Wilson did on that one.

Just listened to another classic: Close To The Edge from Yes in the 2013 Steven Wilson 5.1 surround mix (released in the CD/DVDA-set). Although I was never a big Yes-fan, I always enjoyed this album, plus Yessongs and especially Going For The One. Listening to CTTE now after so many years is a fine experience, but not as nostalgic as listening to for instance Foxtrot. Wilson made a fine mix though with a good seperation of the many vocals in all speakers.
    Well, who knows with mentioning Yes this thread will reach some more readers than the current 30

Just listened to another classic: Close To The Edge from Yes in the 2013 Steven Wilson 5.1 surround mix (released in the CD/DVDA-set). Although I was never a big Yes-fan, I always enjoyed this album, plus Yessongs and especially Going For The One. Listening to CTTE now after so many years is a fine experience, but not as nostalgic as listening to for instance Foxtrot. Wilson made a fine mix though with a good seperation of the many vocals in all speakers.
    Well, who knows with mentioning Yes this thread will reach some more readers than the current 30
    Yes this one is good - I actually like all the Yes albums he did from Yes Album to Relayer. It would be nice to get the next few done as well - from Going for the One through 90125. Not sure if they don't think there's an audience for those or if the multi-tracks are missing.

Yesterday I listened to two albums released by Windham Hill, China, featuring a.o. Shadowfax, Philip Aaberg and Will Ackerman, and Mark Isham's score for Tibet. Both are not only released on CD, but on Laserdisk and DVD too. I heard the surroundversions of the DVD.

China has most of the music from the front-speakers and some "echo" on the back-speakers. Nothing spectacular, which is a pitty, especially on the Shadowfax-tracks. Although the music of that band was far away from the progressive jazz-rock on their debut, the CD's they released on Windham Hill (and other labels) contain fine music. https://www.discogs.com/release/1464...ham-Hill-China

Mark Isham had a lot of musicians playing on the Tibet-score, like David Torn. Most of the music is in the somewhat New Age-like cinematic sphere, although there are also some band-moments with loud bass and cloud-guitar. Here the surround-mix is more effective, using all speakers. https://www.discogs.com/release/1044...ham-Hill-Tibet

In 2009 Esoteric Recordings released a fine surround-mix of Tony Banks' A Curious Feeling, which I listened to yesterday. I've always had an emotional connection with this album, since I bought the LP in 1979. The sad story reflected some of the emotions I went through in that early period in my life and listening to it now in this warm mix, using all speakers in a gentle way, still brings back those feelings.

Today I heard for the first time the new sensational Dolby Atmos/5.1 surround mix of No Parlez, the solo-debut from Paul Young, originally released in 1983. When I bought the LP back than I was already impressed by the great sound and production. In surround it's even more fun to listen to. At times it's almost as if The Art Of Noise is the backing band. The blu-ray is released by Super Deluxe Edition and also contains instrumental versions, the original LP-version and the original CD-version (which had extended versions of a lot of tracks plus one extra song.
    More information on https://superdeluxeedition.com/news/...blu-ray-audio/

As a tribute to Jim Beard, who passed away March 2nd, I played his SACD Revolutions Wit Vince Mendoza & The Metropole Orchestra, released in 2008. The warm and quiet surround mix gives you the idea to be sitting in the middle of the orchestra. The ten tracks, originally from four solo-albums by Beard, sound like a big band, with a lot of interplay and solo's on piano, horns, guitar and synths.

As a tribute to Jim Beard, who passed away March 2nd, I played his SACD Revolutions Wit Vince Mendoza & The Metropole Orchestra, released in 2008. The warm and quiet surround mix gives you the idea to be sitting in the middle of the orchestra. The ten tracks, originally from four solo-albums by Beard, sound like a big band, with a lot of interplay and solo's on piano, horns, guitar and synths.
    I know nothing of him, but if you like it that means I must check it out.
    Thank you for always having such great feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    I know nothing of him, but if you like it that means I must check it out.
    Thank you for always having such great feedback!
    Jim Beard released some solo-albums, but I think he was especially known for his work with other musicians in the jazzrock/fusion/jazz-world.
    His website is still active, so if you want to read some more... http://www.jimbeard.com/
    See https://www.discogs.com/artist/25377...26+Performance for his session-work.

Two Virgin-related albums in surround sound the last two days:

First Genesis: We Can't Dance on SACD from the boxset. I bought my CD-player in 1987, so when this album was released in 1991 it would have been the first Genesis-album I would have only on CD. But I didn't buy it, partly because I was financially not in a good shape back than, CD's were very expensive AND I was disappointed by a lot of songs on the last two Genesis-albums (which I bought in my pre-CD-period). After I bought the boxset in 2007 I heard the album for the first time and, yes, there are some fine tracks on it, but no, it's not my favourite The surround-mix is oké, not very special, maybe with the exception of great tracks like Fading Lights.

Then Drums And Wires by XTC, released as a CD/DVD-A in 2014 with Steven Wilson-mixes. I'm not really into this band, but admire what they do and the admiration is even greater when listening to this wonderful, playful surround-mix. Very cleaver, with vocals from all speakers and a lot of effects running from one speaker to another.
    I also have the Nonsuch-set.

The eons are closing
    I gotta get the XTC sets - dammit!
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    I gotta get the XTC sets - dammit!
    I think the latest one is The Big Express. This set has a Blu-Ray, not a DVD: https://burningshed.com/xtc_the-big-..._category=true

List at Burning Shed with all 5.1 mixes: https://burningshed.com/index.php?ro..._category=true

Listened to Renaissance's Scheherezade the other night.

It's an upmix from stereo to the surround - it's okay but not great. I find it - mushier than the stereo mix is the best way to describe it.

The hi-res stereo mix on the set is very good so that looks like the go to version for me.

It's the first upmix that I've bought and can't say it gets me too interested in getting any others.

Thanks for your review. I have a few upmixes, but can't say I have really paid attention to the difference with "normal" surround mixes. I guess I should listen to one of those upmixes from Steve Hackett.

I listened to the DVD-Audio Disc A Night At The Opera, the classic album from Queen. This is an album that suits the surround mix very much with all those vocals coming from everywhere and the wonderful guitar-playing. I'm not really a Queen-fan, but this one is still great fun.

There are many multi-channel-versions of this recording, some very expensive. I bought mine for about $ 5
    https://www.discogs.com/master/5863-...t=Multichannel

Something new for me: Cyan’s recent “Pictures From the Other Side.” My first go at the music is in full surround. I like doing that because it allows for an impactful first spin. It is rolling as I type.

This comes across VERY Happy the Man at the beginning, both in vocal style and arrangement. Of course, Robert Reed can compose and play anything in any style. The guy is an underrated genius. He is prolific too, so he can explore all of his influences in these projects. The amazing thing is that he does the stereo and Surround mixes himself. Cyan was his first real band; it morphed or changed into Magenta. Robert has gone back to the band which is fun to see.

Very good stuff. You can frame the way he wears his influences on his sleeve in a negative way, but I say he is brilliantly refining the styles of the bands he loved growing up. I really enjoy spotting the influences to the many bands and artists—especially Mike Oldfield—that he has internalized. I actually find his compositions more adventurous and complex. Just check out his “Kompendium” project. That might be my favorite Surround mix.

I would give this one a recommendation. But being a huge fan of RR and Steve Reeds lyrics, I am completely biased.

^^I only know the original Cyan-albums For King And Country (1993) and Pictures From The Other Side (1994) as they were released by SI Music. I wasn't that much impressed, although I heard Reed's talent. The new, full band editions get very good reviews, so who knows, I might get me one of those with a surround mix. Completely agree with Kompendium though.

Back to the upmixes: just listened to Steve Hackett's Defector-DVD as can be found in the Premonitions boxset (funny sidenote: been listening to Jane Getter Premonition's latest, Division World lately.) I think it's a decent surround-mix, although especially The Steppes has a slightly metalic, muffled sound. But all in all wel done. But playing Please Don't Touch in 5.1 surround mix right after that, it's clear that the latter is much more sparkling.