Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spock's Beard - Brief Nocturnes And Dreamless Sleep now in stock

Spock's Beard - Brief Nocturnes And Dreamless Sleep now in stock

Easily their best album in years...

https://www.lasercd.com/node/9681

Speaking as someone's who's already played "Waiting For Me" three times today... I advise people thusly:

GET.

They are going back to their beginings, which is definetly the right direction.

I'm also very pleased with Ted's contribution to the album (I'm an Enchant fan).

I would agree. Ted Leonard is a great addition on vocals. Now I'm ready for that new Enchant album!
    Don Cassidy
    President, Interviewer, DJ, Artist Promo contact
    Delicious Agony Progressive Rock Radio
    www.deliciousagony.com

The Man You're Afraid You Are is so friggin' cool and the ultimate tribute to Gentle Giant of all time. The whole album blows away anything this band has done since V. Having said that, I think that this new one is way better than V. X was a great stepping stone to BN&DS,but they went all out on this. Ryo is playing Organ solos,Minimoog solos and Mellotron type sounds all over the place. Alan Morse is playing the best guitar of his career imho. If anyone is sitting on the fence about buying this,you are cheating yourselves out of some incredible music. This is their masterpiece of 11 albums since 1995.

It's another very good Spock's Beard album, like most of the others. No hyperbole needed for me.

Whilst I don't think it is quite on a par with X, it's better than most other SB albums, and sufficiently different to its predecessor whilst remaining distinctively Beard. Ted does a great job on vocals and the whole band seem energised by the new songs. Definitely a must-buy!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    The Man You're Afraid You Are is so friggin' cool and the ultimate tribute to Gentle Giant of all time. The whole album blows away anything this band has done since V. Having said that, I think that this new one is way better than V. X was a great stepping stone to BN&DS,but they went all out on this. Ryo is playing Organ solos,Minimoog solos and Mellotron type sounds all over the place. Alan Morse is playing the best guitar of his career imho. If anyone is sitting on the fence about buying this,you are cheating yourselves out of some incredible music. This is their masterpiece of 11 albums since 1995.
    Did Ryo play keyboard solos on any of the Nick-led albums? Also, does Ryo play an ARP Soloist on the new one?

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Did Ryo play keyboard solos on any of the Nick-led albums?
    Yes. "A Guy Named Sid" from 'Feel Euphoria' and "The Ballet of the Impact" from 'Octane' instantly spring to mind without even thinking about it, and I'm sure there are quite a few others too.

John Boegehold
    The Man You're Afraid You Are is so friggin' cool and the ultimate tribute to Gentle Giant of all time.
    Funny, I though I was alone thinking that. From the first time I heard that middle instrumental section, it seemed like the band was channeling GG. Knowing how that section came about though, it definitely wasn't a intentional tribute haha!

Quote Originally Posted by Brainforest View Post
    Funny, I though I was alone thinking that. From the first time I heard that middle instrumental section, it seemed like the band was channeling GG. Knowing how that section came about though, it definitely wasn't a intentional tribute haha!
    And not meaning to sound schmoozly -- well, all right, I DO mean to --- your material on that album is excellent. Keep up the great work!

The Man You're Afraid You Are is so friggin' cool and the ultimate tribute to Gentle Giant of all time.
    I like that one bit for sure, but the George Harrison-esque guitar solo towards the end lays me out on the floor like a dopamine rush.

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    Easily their best album in years...
    Absolutely. The addition of Ted has turned out to be a great thing for the band. I really like this album. It's perfect for spring time and likeley year round, as well.

Listened to this one again at quite a loud volume.

It's a great album to listen to LOUDLY.

Again, any fan of post-Neal Spock's needs to get this.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Listened to this one again at quite a loud volume.

It's a great album to listen to LOUDLY.

Again, any fan of post-Neal Spock's needs to get this.
    What about any of fan of Neal Spock, or of Spock's Beard in general?

Just buy the CD, JIF!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Henry View Post
    Just buy the CD, JIF!

It's not even out yet. Also, will Bestbuy have it?

...will Bestbuy have it?
    I don't know if it will, but I'm sure that you'll really like like this album. I got my copy from Spock's Beard's website. There are plenty of places to purchase a copy.

We have been friends on this message board for some time now. I wouldn't tell that it was great, if it wasn't.

Seriously.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Henry View Post
    I don't know if it will, but I'm sure that you'll really like like this album. I got my copy from Spock's Beard's website. There are plenty of places to purchase a copy.

We have been friends on this message board for some time now. I wouldn't tell that it was great, if it wasn't.

Seriously.
    I actually have heard the whole thing on YouTube, and I agree with you. Btw, it's nice to you called us friends. I didn't think that you liked me.

Just because we don't agree all of the time, doesn't mean that I don't like you. You have good taste in music and I appreciate many of the threads that you start here.

What about any of fan of Neal Spock, or of Spock's Beard in general?
    Well, IMO, Neal's band and that which came after sound completely different, so that's hard to say. If you're a fan "in general," then it shouldn't be an issue.

It's not even out yet. Also, will Bestbuy have it?
    It was available for download from the band - no idea if it's still available. I always try to buy from the band rather than Best Buy whenever possible.

I actually have heard the whole thing on YouTube, and I agree with you.
    If you've heard the whole thing, then why all the questions?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Banned
    I ask questions, because people on her seem to know more about music than I due. Some are even musicians themselves.

There is a hi-res download available for 20.00. http://bandcamp.com/download?cart_id...&from=checkout
    Just be careful to use the drop down to select the format you want BEFORE downloading. The default is MP3, which in no manner of speaking should be considered a hires format, even if it is ripped at 320K.

For me this is the most enjoyable-all-the-way-through SB album since Snow. I was not a fan of Nick's vocals and even my wife is loving this album due to Ted's work. This album feels more inspired than the last few, with a few moments of exception...pretty minor stuff that bugs me, but I'll get over it.

Bought it yesterday in HMV ...nice to see it in the main display of new releases as you immediatly walk in the store !

I would say for those, who like me, never quite warmed up to the Nick-era Spock's Beard - that, this new one with Ted Leonard goes down very well. They seem to found a solid "sound & direction" that was lost on previous releases with the hodgepodge of ideas (with the exception of X, but this may be even better). Much like Hogarth took Marillion and gave them a new sound, I'm getting the same sense from Leonard. The opening track Hiding Out, credited to Leonard, is an instant classic in the Beard catalog that firmly has you liking what you're hearing right away off the new album.

The only thing puzzling to me is why the bonus tracks, are bonus tracks? Every one of them is extremely solid, totally rocking, and among my favorites on the release. There also was enough room for them on the main disc. That's a minor gripe though, because regardless we have all the tracks.