Page 55 of 60 FirstFirst ... 545515253545556575859 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,375 of 1487

Thread: The 2023 NFL Discussion Thread

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Does Campbell have money on SF? I've seen players choke in big games and now I've seen a coach choke away a big game.

What a shame. And the difference is 3 points. 3 points. 3 fucking points. Sorry Steve. You guys had a great season, and a great playoff run.

I don't think anyone gave the Lions a chance tonight but to lose it this way really sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I'll try to remember to look on YouTube for the PI play. I remember the encroachment call. Gotta agree with you on that, but I'll have to see how important to the game it turned out to be.
    It may not have changed the game, but we will never know. Just look at the momentum swing in the second game.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I don't think anyone gave the Lions a chance tonight but to lose it this way really sucks.
    Like the Ravens, the Lions made too many mistakes and beat themselves. There were some lucky bounces too. God hates underdogs.
    When you're ahead 24-7, that's a lead you should be able to hold.

Like the Ravens, the Lions made too many mistakes and beat themselves. There were some lucky bounces too. God hates underdogs.
    When you're ahead 24-7, that's a lead you should be able to hold.
    This is all on Campbell. I know of a lot of people are going to say the Lions were in it this far because of Campbell but those were some mind numbing 4th down decisions.

Calling Dan Campbell an asshole and idiot and to be fired complete nonsense. Did he make some dumb decisions tonight? Yes, he did. But Campbell is also the reason the Lions are where they are right now in the first place. I have been a Lions fan for 62 years and this is still the greatest season of my lifetime. They were playing with house money tonight having already exceeded all expectations for the 2023 season. Just making the playoffs was a HUGE step up from where they had been. Winning 2 playoff games was more than anyone expected before the season began. No, they are not going to the Superbowl this year, but they are the closest they have ever been to being a Superbowl level team in the Superbowl era. Campbell is still early in his coaching career and will learn from this. The team is remarkably close to being great. Maybe only true Lions fans understand. Restore The Fucking Roar!

Does Campbell have money on SF? I've seen players choke in big games and now I've seen a coach choke away a big game.
    I offer you the spectacle of Dennis Green in the 1998 NFC Championship. The way I see it, the biggest failure was the Lions' D letting them score all those unanswered points.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I offer you the spectacle of Dennis Green in the 1998 NFC Championship. The way I see it, the biggest failure was the Lions' D letting them score all those unanswered points.
    The Lions secondary has been their Achilles heal all season long. Along with re-signing Jerod Goff this needs to be their priority in the off season.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Calling Dan Campbell an asshole and idiot and to be fired complete nonsense. Did he make some dumb decisions tonight? Yes, he did. But Campbell is also the reason the Lions are where they are right now in the first place. I have been a Lions fan for 62 years and this is still the greatest season of my lifetime. They were playing with house money tonight having already exceeded all expectations for the 2023 season. Just making the playoffs was a HUGE step up from where they had been. Winning 2 playoff games was more than anyone expected before the season began. No, they are not going to the Superbowl this year, but they are the closest they have ever been to being a Superbowl level team in the Superbowl era. Campbell is still early in his coaching career and will learn from this. The team is remarkably close to being great. Maybe only true Lions fans understand. Restore The Fucking Roar!
    Dan Campbell is the guy at the blackjack table hitting on 18. You have to wonder how long it's going to be before his gambler's fever in pressure situations starts to lose the locker room. Sure, this season is more than any Lions fan could have expected and hopefully this season is an indicator of more good things to come. Going on 4th down when you could have been up 3 scores on a team you had against the ropes was a gamble that swung the game. Going for it on 4th down the second time when he could have tied the game in the 4th quarter was a complete morale killer. That's a 6 point swing in a 3 point loss. Worthy of the scrutiny he's going to be getting in the coming days by football pundits, football fans and I'm sure "true Lions fans" alike. Maybe Dan Campbell is the reason the Lions made it this far but he's damn sure the reason they lost. Once again he let his ego override common sense and made the game about him. Let's hope they get a good OC to replace the one that's leaving, maybe one that will whisper in Dan's ear and say, "are you sure that's a good idea?"
    Last edited by 3LockBox; 01-29-2024 at 07:49 AM.

Well, Campbell won't/shouldn't get fired, but I see the same stubbornness in Dan that I see in McDaniel. That's why I overreacted last night after that heartbreaking loss. There's a fine line between being aggressive, and having a little common sense. You take the points on the road.

I can’t say I’m really excited about a SF/KC Super Bowl. I’ll root for SF, as I would say they are the underdog now. Plus I still like the Purdy story and am a fan of McCaffrey.

While Dallas losing along the way was frustrating (even if expected), the Bills losing that game last week really took the remaining wind out of my sails. It will likely be one of those games I tune in and out on.

On a side note, looks like I will win the Pick’ems this season.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Well, Campbell won't/shouldn't get fired, but I see the same stubbornness in Dan that I see in McDaniel. That's why I overreacted last night after that heartbreaking loss. There's a fine line between being aggressive, and having a little common sense. You take the points on the road.
    No Detroit won't and shouldn't fire Campbell; they've seen and put up with worse. He's an emotional leader ala Pete Carroll and as we've seen with Pete that's a double-edged sword. Both great motivators but purveyors of emotions and emotional gamblers take big swings and make big misses. It's a completely recoverable situation as long as they never lose their GM, Brad Holmes, who's probably the real mastermind in Detroit the way Schneider has been in Seattle.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    I can’t say I’m really excited about a SF/KC Super Bowl. I’ll root for SF, as I would say they are the underdog now. Plus I still like the Purdy story and am a fan of *McCaffrey.

While Dallas losing along the way was frustrating (even if expected), the Bills losing that game last week really took the remaining wind out of my sails. It will likely be one of those games I tune in and out on.
    I am now in the same boat. This was an intriguing matchup a few years back but now, not so much.

*I have a buddy who is from N Carolina who is rather salty regarding CMC. He said he wonders how much CMC sandbagged in Carolina because he was often hurt and unavailable when he was with the Panthers and he's been healthy as a horse in SF. I can't say I blame him. Or CMC either.

The 4th down decisions were disastrous, as it turned out, and I thought poor decisions in real time. If you're an underdog on the road, you cannot leave points off the board.

The 4th down decisions were disastrous, as it turned out, and I thought poor decisions in real time. If you're an underdog on the road, you cannot leave points off the board.
    They are who we thought they were.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Dan Campbell is the guy at the blackjack table hitting on 18. You have to wonder how long it's going to be before his gambler's fever in pressure situations starts to lose the locker room. Sure, this season is more than any Lions fan could have expected and hopefully this season is an indicator of more good things to come. Going on 4th down when you could have been up 3 scores on a team you had against the ropes was a gamble that swung the game. Going for it on 4th down the second time when he could have tied the game in the 4th quarter was a complete morale killer. That's a 6 point swing in a 3 point loss. Worthy of the scrutiny he's going to be getting in the coming days by football pundits, football fans and I'm sure "true Lions fans" alike. Maybe Dan Campbell is the reason the Lions made it this far but he's damn sure the reason they lost. Once again he let his ego override common sense and made the game about him. Let's hope they get a good OC to replace the one that's leaving, maybe one that will whisper in Dan's ear and say, "are you sure that's a good idea?"
    One thing to keep in mind that almost no one seems to be talking about is the Lions kicker situation. The Lions have gone through 3 kickers this year. The days of Eddie Murrey, Jason Hanson & even Matt Prater having golden legs are long gone. Kicker Michael Bagley was not even signed to the active roster until a month ago. Both of those field goals were not chip shots and there was no guarantee that Bagley would have made them. I think the Lions should make signing a top-notch kicker one of their priorities in the off season.

As a fan of the Chiefs since the Len Dawson days, I couldn't be happier. A stat they mentioned during the KC - Bills game: since going pro, Mahomes has never not played in the AFC championship game. And now he's helped the Chiefs go to the SB – again. I just hope we don't get a half dozen shots of Taylor Swift in her suite cheering on Kelce.

As for who won or lost the game for either team, I'd say the MVPs were Steve Spagnuolo and Kelce, who bailed them out a few times, passing Jerry Rice's record in the process.

I was watching the Lions - Niners game and fell asleep when it was 21-7. Woke up and it was 24-24. You know, back in Janary of '93, I saw Houston blowing out Buffalo, gave up on the game toward the end of the 2nd quarter, and went upstairs. Later, my brother kept calling out to me, "you're missing it!" I went back down at the start of the 4th quarter and the score was 35-31. Maybe I should sleep through games more often.

I wouldn't have minded a Lions win but I wasn't rooting for them... not with Bosa and Young (both former Buckeyes) on the D line.

A Chiefs - Niners SB will be fun, imo. I'm a pretty big fan of the Niners offense but ultimately I'm almost a Mahomes fanboy.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

You guys are jumping all over Dan Cambell when this is what he's done all year. Not to mention both of those 4th down plays were there...receiver dropped the ball on one and on the other, the dude was wide open and Goff threw a bad pass. Should have very easily gone the other way.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

I can’t say I’m really excited about a SF/KC Super Bowl. I’ll root for SF, as I would say they are the underdog now. Plus I still like the Purdy story and am a fan of McCaffrey.
    Pretty much how I feel as well. Now it's all about appetizers, beer and box numbers. Oh and Usher, who isn't looking forward to Usher?
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

The Ravens choked hard, and The Lions just fell apart in the second half. I was disappointed to see both.

I do have love for C-Mac, though...so go 49ers!!

I just hope we don't get a half dozen shots of Taylor Swift in her suite cheering on Kelce.
    I am betting we're going to see a half dozen shots in the first quarter. If it's a blow out, they'll go PiP with a camera in her suite.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Pretty much how I feel as well. Now it's all about appetizers, beer and box numbers. Oh and Usher, who isn't looking forward to Usher?
    yeah [emoji106]
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Purdy will sleep well knowing he doesn't have to face the Ravens again.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar

On a side note, looks like I will win the Pick’ems this season.
    Vegas disagrees with your underdog assessment, as do I. San Fran has been the best team in the NFC certainly, and arguably the NFL all year long.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.