Page 40 of 65 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142434450 ... LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 1619

Thread: New YES studio album- Mirror to the Sky

Quote Originally Posted by taliesin View Post
    That was lovely - thanks for posting.
    I agree it was lovely. Though I have to admit that when I saw the two guitarists I was expecting some kind of fancy arrangement of the piece for two guitars, perhaps some added counterpoint or elaborating the bass and melody lines. Instead, they just played the exact same thing in unison. Still looked and sounded great, though.

(FWIW, not long ago I played Mood for a Day on the piano in LA's Union Station and someone actually recognized it and said that's the first time they ever heard it on piano.)
    What we feel we have to solve is why the dregs have not dissolved.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Burning Shed have posted on Instagram that all pre orders have been shipped
    My preorder from Laser's Edge has shipped as well.

Spinning the yellow vinyl copies received from Laser's Edge today. I intentionally didn't listen to any of the pre-released tracks - so this first listen (sides A & B only so far) was better than expected. I'll need to listen to the bonus tracks on sides C & D, but am pleasantly surprised so far.

^ You didn't think the old buggers still had it in 'em, didja?

My copy arrived today; sounds pleasant enough.
    'I would advise stilts for the quagmires"

Great review Sean!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    My preorder from Laser's Edge has shipped as well.
    Hmmmm.... That's odd, mine has not.

My Green vinyl came this morning! Just spinning it now. So far really enjoying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    In that case...

Attachment 16889

No joke! that ORDINAIRES album is extraordinary!!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I’m very excited about this album! I like the Quest, though I feel there are too many slow/mid-tempo songs.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    First impressions…I think this is a fairly credible and enjoyable album. It’s classy in presentation, sound and performance. I don’t like it as much as Fly From Here. I do like it better than H&E and The Quest. The only track that I honestly can’t bear is “Living Out Their Dream”. Why? Just Why? But overall this album conforms much more to my idea of what I would expect from a Steve Howe led Yes record than The Quest does. The tracks mostly make more sense to me. It certainly brings more of the prog factor and it seems like every track has some really tasty guitar work. I really dig that dark, AC/DC sounding riff at the beginning of the title track. They have some firepower on this album and it seems like they are playing really well. I think I’d like to hear more Geoff Downes on Hammond organ.

I still think this is the weakest vocal lineup Yes has ever had, but I do think they’ve gotten the sound and mix of voices nearly as right as they can get it with this combination of singers. I think what I’m missing isn’t necessarily the persons and voices of Anderson and Squire as much I miss their knack for producing these soaring, effortless sounding Beatlesque tunes that get instantly stuck in my head. That’s not to say I don’t think Mirror To The Sky has any decent tunes, but I don’t think it lands any knockout punches in that regard.

Overall I’m pleasantly surprised.
    Last edited by Frumious B; 05-19-2023 at 04:43 AM.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

"I honestly can’t bear is “Living Out Their Dream”

I think it's fun. They squeezed a lot of stuff into that little tune. After two nearly ten minute tracks it's appreciated when it arrives.

1 minute into the title track at the moment and - yipes! This is how Keys to Ascension studio tracks should have sounded
    You have not heard anything like Vostok Lake, nor do you know anyone who has.

"Circles of Time" is really sweet, in a way that the best latter day Anderson tracks (eg "If Only You Knew" or "Show Me") were

Not too fussed by Luminosity or Living Out Their Dream, but I liked "All Connected" more on second listen, so I'll give them another chance.
    You have not heard anything like Vostok Lake, nor do you know anyone who has.

Having a first listen on You tube right now. Not keen on Living Out Their Dream that's for sure, sounds like one of the worst tracks on Heaven & Earth, oh dear. Hopefully the rest will grow me. Too afraid to listen to the bonus b sides so far

I've listened to it 6 times now, and I am sorry to say I like it less the more I listen. The title track is probably the best track, along with Cut From the Stars. But whereas Cut from the Stars is pretty focused and concise, Mirror to the Sky takes some moderately good ideas and stretches them verrry far. It does have some splendid moments, though. I'll spare you the rant I posted on FB, but long story short, I actually think The Quest was a better album than this.

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    First impressions…I think this is a fairly credible and enjoyable album. It’s classy in presentation, sound and performance. I don’t like it as much as Fly From Here. I do like it better than H&E and The Quest. The only track that I honestly can’t bear is “Living Out Their Dream”. Why? Just Why? But overall this album conforms much more to my idea of what I would expect from a Steve Howe led Yes record than The Quest does. The tracks mostly make more sense to me. It certainly brings more of the prog factor and it seems like every track has some really tasty guitar work. I really dig that dark, AC/DC sounding riff at the beginning of the title track. They have some firepower on this album and it seems like they are playing really well. I think I’d like to hear more Geoff Downes on Hammond organ.

I still think this is the weakest vocal lineup Yes has ever had, but I do think they’ve gotten the sound and mix of voices nearly as right as they can get it with this combination of singers. I think what I’m missing isn’t necessarily the persons and voices of Anderson and Squire as much I miss their knack for producing these soaring, effortless sounding Beatlesque tunes that get instantly stuck in my head. That’s not to say I don’t think Mirror To The Sky has any decent tunes, but I don’t think it lands any knockout punches in that regard.

Overall I’m pleasantly surprised.
    First impressions of opening minutes of the title track.. nice to hear some energy from the drum seat..
    Last edited by happytheman; 05-19-2023 at 05:32 AM.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Despite the wordless chant vocals that instantly make me think of the Frozen soundtrack I have to say that “Unknown Place” is my favorite on the whole thing in the early going.

Last edited by Frumious B; 05-19-2023 at 05:38 AM.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    Despite the wordless chant vocals that instantly make me think of the Frozen soundtrack I have to say that “Unknown Place” is my favorite on the whole thing in the early going.
    Just made it thru that track.. I might agree.. gotta go back and listen to Luminosity.. I started with the title track.. Circles of time is lame.. I don't get why Steve is hell bent on using an orchestra..

I've listened to it three or four times this morning while working. When it finishes I'm quite happy to go back to the start and listen again.
    I really like it. Living out their Dream is the track I like least, along with Magic Potion.
    Certainly a huge improvement over The Quest which I like, but felt it runs out of steam after the first four tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Not keen on Living Out Their Dream that's for sure, sounds like one of the worst tracks on Heaven & Earth, oh dear.
    If anything on H&E had half of the energy on Living Out Their Dream, it might be remotely listenable.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

"Living Out Their Dream" is a satirical song. It's kinda like "Money" or ELP's "Jeremy Bender". I think one has to judge it on slightly different terms.
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    If anything on H&E had half of the energy on Living Out Their Dream, it might be remotely listenable.
    Not that anyone was seeking my opinion, but here it is anyway: I think if H&E had been shelved at the time and released later like some sort of "lost" album it would have made more sense. IMHO the album sounds like a set of undercooked tunes that might have been shaped into something more interesting but either budget, enthusiasm, or some mix of both, ran out before that happened.

My copy of the new album should be here later today, looking forward to finally hearing the album for myself (I know it's already on YT...I've waited this long, I'll hold out a bit longer).
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Not that anyone was seeking my opinion, but here it is anyway: I think if H&E had been shelved at the time and released later like some sort of "lost" album it would have made more sense. IMHO the album sounds like a set of undercooked tunes that might have been shaped into something more interesting but either budget, enthusiasm, or some mix of both, ran out before that happened.
    Jon Davison has said it was a set of undercooked tunes that might have been shaped into something more interesting but time ran out before that happened.... or more or less those words. He's said RTB was going through some personal stuff at the time, so the album didn't get produced.
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/