Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Genesis Wind and Wuthering tour

Genesis Wind and Wuthering tour

Years ago I saw Genesis during it's tour of "Wind and Wuthering". I remember they had a fabulous laser show with that tour. Was there any video or film at all from that tour with the lasers? If not, does anyone know of any still photography? I've searched for both but have never found any. I suspect the lasers were dropped from the show because of the dangers of the light hurting peoples eyes. If anyone has any examples video or still photo from those shows I would love to see them.
    Welcome to PE. If you want to watch old men argue about old musicians, you've come to the right place!

jamesmanzi

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Sorry but I can't help you. I was at the show and have fond memories. Steve's performance really stood out. I have a autographed (Hackett/Gallo) Lithograph from the tour (framed) next to my den. It's really nice.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Cover and inside photos from 'Seconds Out' ???
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

Banned
    That was a GREAT tour. I saw them at the Merriweather Post Pavilion in Columbia, MD. It was the first concert I recall where I got punched in the stomach with bass pedals. It was glorious.

Quote Originally Posted by Quantum Cat View Post
    That was a GREAT tour. I saw them at the Merriweather Post Pavilion in Columbia, MD. It was the first concert I recall where I got punched in the stomach with bass pedals. It was glorious.
    I saw what I THINK was the W&W tour at Baltimore Civic Center. Do you remember your date? I will look up my date tomorrow.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

At 17:40 there are some still shots with lasers.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbassdrum View Post
    Cover and inside photos from 'Seconds Out' ???
    Cover.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I saw what I THINK was the W&W tour at Baltimore Civic Center. Do you remember your date? I will look up my date tomorrow.
    Hmm..Chester on drums? He is from Baltimore, so I bet Phil would have said something about that.

I know Led Zep used lasers in their 1977 tour (starting a bit later than W&W, April to July), not positive about Genesis.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    We were at the MSG gig when Peter appeared for the encore.

After looking at those stills, I do remember seeing Phil singing at the front mic with a green-ish bluei-sh laser cone surrounding him - from the Dallas show in March of 1977.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    Hmm..Chester on drums? He is from Baltimore, so I bet Phil would have said something about that.

I know Led Zep used lasers in their 1977 tour (starting a bit later than W&W, April to July), not positive about Genesis.
    Yes, with Chester.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    Is this documented? I've never heard of this happening.

Genesis used lasers in 76 and 77. Not sure if they used them in 78 or not.

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    That was 1978. I was in the third row.

Quote Originally Posted by marblesmike View Post
    Is this documented? I've never heard of this happening.
    Very well documented. Tapes exist of the show.

Peter came out with the stage crew for the set up of the encore of “I Know What I Like”. Sitting in the audience we thought he was part of the crew and didn’r understand why he wasn’t leaving the stage and then it dawned on everyone what was going down.

The story goes that Peter was backstage at the show. MSG was going wild. Someone (might have been Gail Colson) asked him what it would take to get him out on stage. Peter said “I always wanted to fly on the Concorde”. The response was “Done”. He went out and performed. True story? Dunno but he went out there.

EDIT: Nevermind

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    Very well documented. Tapes exist of the show.
    The And Then There Was Gabriel bootleg LP comes from an audience recording of the gig.

https://www.discogs.com/release/6394...re-Was-Gabriel

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    The And Then There Was Gabriel bootleg LP comes from an audience recording of the gig.

https://www.discogs.com/release/6394...re-Was-Gabriel
    I believe it was recorded with a Nakamichi 550 and a pair of Nakamichi CM700 mikes.

Here you can see some of it … from 78

Los endos, min 18:40

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    For the Mirrors tour? Yes, they did. There's a pretty cool remastered super 8 video of about an hour's worth of footage from Columbus OH 1978; it's on the Genesis Movement torrent site. You get to see the laser effects several times, especially during Los Endos and The Cinema Show, as I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    '78 tour I saw at Merriweather Post Pavillion they used lasers as well as mirrors

There are some pictures by Amando Gallo in his Genesis - The Evolution Of A Rock Band. In the first edition there are some on page 76/77 with the remark "The lasers cost £ 60,000 to build, and their unique visual effect was patented by Genesis. The laser on the pictures was the one while performing Apocalypse In 9/8 in Suppers Ready and the finale of that song.
    Correct me when I'm wrong, but I believe the front-cover of Seconds Out doesn't show the lasers but the Boeing 747 landing lights (also in Gallo's book). The inside of the sleeve does have some pics with the lasers.
    B.t.w. I was at the show in Rotterdam.

So a band can patent a visual effect? Interesting.

Don't know, was just quoting Gallo, but it's also mentioned on the W&W-Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_%26_Wuthering

The band concentrated their stage set with an elaborate lighting display,[4] and their own patented computer-controlled laser light system.

Vari-lights. Genesis invested in the Showco invention. It's in Wikipedia.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga