Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Genesis Wind and Wuthering tour

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I saw the tour in Ottawa, Civic Center. I distinctly remember Steve at right of stage and his delicious playing. The whole band was a joy to see. My first concert was the Trick tour in March of the previous year (or was it two years, not sure).
    I have never seen Steve at the right (on pictures, films or when I saw them in 1977), which is normally the space for Tony, but maybe this time they switched.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    I have never seen Steve at the right (on pictures, films or when I saw them in 1977), which is normally the space for Tony, but maybe this time they switched.
    Sorry - I meant the left!!!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

The other right!

Actually, you were correct the first time. Steve set up on "stage right." Yes, for the audience, that is to their left, but no knowledgeable theatergoer refers to it that way.

Bill

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Hmm, that's interesting. I was sitting on the left side of the band's set up.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Hmm, that's interesting. I was sitting on the left side of the band's set up.
    Correct. You were sitting in seats that were to your left in the theater. If Steve was directly in front of you, he is on "Stage Right" (basically to his right looking out into the audience). Using the stage side is typically how you refer to positions in a theater.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Correct. You were sitting in seats that were to your left in the theater. If Steve was directly in front of you, he is on "Stage Right" (basically to his right looking out into the audience). Using the stage side is typically how you refer to positions in a theater.

Bill
    Never heard of that viewpoint, but maybe that's the way it is said in the US. Basicly we agree where Steve stood though.

Never heard of that viewpoint, but maybe that's the way it is said in the US. Basicly we agree where Steve stood though.
    Rush - Exit Stage Left. Look at where the cover photo is taken from.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Rush - Exit Stage Left. Look at where the cover photo is taken from.
    Good point, especially from the bands point of view, but as a member of the audience I don't look at it that way. But I'll remember your explanation.

Good point, especially from the bands point of view, but as a member of the audience I don't look at it that way. But I'll remember your explanation.
    Stage left and right specifically refers to the performers' point of view. The audience point of view is called house left and right.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

I’d just like to say that I find “You’re own special Way” a lovely song. Far from Genesis’ best but I’ve always enjoyed it and find it fits perfectly on the album.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    I’d just like to say that I find “You’re own special Way” a lovely song. Far from Genesis’ best but I’ve always enjoyed it and find it fits perfectly on the album.

Agree 100%. It's a beautiful pastoral song reminding me of the glow of summers past.

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    We were at the MSG gig when Peter appeared for the encore.
    That was the following year (1978); and I too was at that gig. Fortunately, at that 78 gig I still had film left when Peter came out (hardly anyone knew who he was due to the buzz cut and Mao jacket); in 1977 I ran out of film before the laser cone enveloped Phil. it was a stupendous effect that worked amazingly well, but has rarely been seen properly on film (still or moving).

My NYC Early Post-Gabriel Genesis Summary:

76: Beacon theater for two shows. First time with Phil at the front. The great Bill Bruford drumming.
    77: First MSG show, Steve still with the band. Laser effect. First appearance of Chester
    78: second time at the Garden. No Steve…first time with Daryl. “Mirrors,” and appearance by Pete (at at least one of the shows)

I find I like it better live than on the record. That goes for the 1977 live versions (with synth instead of that electric piano sound) and that Australian one they did with the orchestra.

Somehow I think it might have fit better on the Spot The Pigeon EP and 'Inside And Out' on the album, maybe.

I’d just like to say that I find “Your Own Special Way” a lovely song. Far from Genesis’ best but I’ve always enjoyed it and find it fits perfectly on the album.

I've been saying this for a long time now. Part of the lyrics are based on this poem by Christina Rossetti (1830–1894):

Who Has Seen The Wind?

Who has seen the wind?
    Neither I nor you.
    But when the leaves hang trembling,
    The wind is passing through.
    Who has seen the wind?
    Neither you nor I.
    But when the trees bow down their heads,
    The wind is passing by.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    That was the following year (1978); and I too was at that gig. Fortunately, at that 78 gig I still had film left when Peter came out (hardly anyone knew who he was due to the buzz cut and Mao jacket); in 1977 I ran out of film before the laser cone enveloped Phil. it was a stupendous effect that worked amazingly well, but has rarely been seen properly on film (still or moving).

My NYC Early Post-Gabriel Genesis Summary:

76: Beacon theater for two shows. First time with Phil at the front. The great Bill Bruford drumming.
    77: First MSG show, Steve still with the band. Laser effect. First appearance of Chester
    78: second time at the Garden. No Steve…first time with Daryl. “Mirrors,” and appearance by Pete (at at least one of the shows)
    I was at all of these! (one show at Beacon).

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    I was at all of these! (one show at Beacon).
    Isn’t that fun when you discover something like that? I somehow lucked into that 76 show at the Beacon…I was at a party for my old grammar school pal when I met a fellow who bragged about his ticket connections. I mentioned Genesis and a few days later he called and said he had tickets! He wanted double the value which I thought was excessive but they were 4th row. I bought them! What an amazing show! Just riveting.

And then in 1977 I had purchased tickets for the show (about 40th row) but also entered a contest WNEW-FM was having to win two tix. I got a letter fom Scott Muni with tix! Ninth row. Genesis at the Garden was really something.

And then in 78 I used a connection with my Chemistry study buddy that I met at the U of AZ in fall 77…she had connections so we got 5th row for the 78 show, right in front of Daryl. The mirrors were just beyond amazing…the most impressive staging i have ever seen. I REALLY need to print some of my old slides from all three shows.

But yes, the laser effect in 77 escaped my photographic endeavors.

^^Great stories!

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    I've been saying this for a long time now. Part of the lyrics are based on this poem by Christina Rossetti (1830–1894):

Who Has Seen The Wind?

Who has seen the wind?
    Neither I nor you.
    But when the leaves hang trembling,
    The wind is passing through.
    Who has seen the wind?
    Neither you nor I.
    But when the trees bow down their heads,
    The wind is passing by.
    For you