Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Queensryche with LaTorre

I don't understand how any singers smoke.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    From what I have read, other than smoking, the guy is a health nut. He keeps himself in good shape and does not drink.
    Todd's a big boy, but "smoking health nut" does sound...oxymoronic?

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Todd's a big boy, but "smoking health nut" does sound...oxymoronic?
    Agree, but from what I have read I think he still does.

Actually, Promised Land was my exit album with Queensryche. I like it well enough, but after that one they just lost me.

I am a big fan of the LaTorre era albums. "Condition Human" is my favorite, but all 3 are good, and they are light years better than the last Tate era album "Dedicated To Chaos" which was a terrible record IMO. I do think the most recent album "The Verdict" suffered a bit from the departure of Scott Rockenfield, but it is still a good album.
    a shame really - right when i was starting to appreciate him as a drummer he pulls this disappearing act.
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

LaTorre definitely got QR back on track as a progressive-leaning hard rock band, rather than whatever it is they'd become during the later Tate years.

What I've read is that Tate wasn't that into heavier music generally and increasingly stopped wanting to work up the material that Michael Wilton brought in, basically from Empire forward. The atmosphere in the band became poisonous, which is why DeGarmo left. It's a shame, because QR at their peak was an awesome band.

All kinds of rumors going around on what's up with Scott Rockenfield. It's a shame, too, because he's arguably the most distinctive instrumentalist in the band. I've never heard any other drummer who sounds like that.

Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    LaTorre definitely got QR back on track as a progressive-leaning hard rock band, rather than whatever it is they'd become during the later Tate years.

What I've read is that Tate wasn't that into heavier music generally and increasingly stopped wanting to work up the material that Michael Wilton brought in, basically from Empire forward. The atmosphere in the band became poisonous, which is why DeGarmo left. It's a shame, because QR at their peak was an awesome band.

All kinds of rumors going around on what's up with Scott Rockenfield. It's a shame, too, because he's arguably the most distinctive instrumentalist in the band. I've never heard any other drummer who sounds like that.
    Agree about Rockenfield. He definitely had his own style. As to what the true story is, we may never know as all he ever posts publicly are cryptic messages with no real substance and the band just seems to want to distance themselves from the whole thing.

Queensryche just announced today, new album coming in October entitled "Digital Noise Alliance".

What would be the best 4-5 songs from the newer incarnation of QR? I was a fan of the band up until Hear in the Now Frontier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Boceephus View Post
    What would be the best 4-5 songs from the newer incarnation of QR? I was a fan of the band up until Hear in the Now Frontier.

My personal favorites with Todd includes Open Road, Spore, Eye9, Bulletproof, Launder the Conscience

Quote Originally Posted by Freeze View Post
    My personal favorites with Todd includes Open Road, Spore, Eye9, Bulletproof, Launder the Conscience
    Agree, those are all good ones. I think this one, which was a single, is a great rocker:

just heard this on Youtube..

"She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

Thanks for the recommendations! I will check ‘em out.

Todays playlist.

Agree about Rockenfield. He definitely had his own style. As to what the true story is, we may never know as all he ever posts publicly are cryptic messages with no real substance and the band just seems to want to distance themselves from the whole thing.
    The latest: Scott is suing Michael and Eddie for QR-related income he hasn't received since late 2018 or so. Their court date is set for January.

The latest: Scott is suing Michael and Eddie for QR-related income he hasn't received since late 2018 or so. Their court date is set for January.
    Yes, I have seen some articles and quotes from both sides. Sounds like it is going to be a mess. From what I have read I think Scott is going to loose, but in front of a jury it could go either way.

The bottom line is it is too bad they just can't get their shit together and get along.

The band went to shit in 2000. There might be 5 songs since then that are worthy of the Queensryche name.

Quote Originally Posted by IncogNeato View Post
    The band went to shit in 2000. There might be 5 songs since then that are worthy of the Queensryche name.
    I disagree. I love all of the LaTorre albums. Just saw them live about a month ago too and it was a great show.

I disagree. I love all of the LaTorre albums. Just saw them live about a month ago too and it was a great show.
    I hear that a lot. The band is a shell of itself, IMO.

I hear that a lot. The band is a shell of itself, IMO.
    Give the second ToddRyche album, Condition Human, a whirl. That's the last one Rock plays on.

Give the second ToddRyche album, Condition Human, a whirl. That's the last one Rock plays on.
    I gave it a couple spins when it came out. Sounds like a band trying to sound like Queensryche but lacking the chemistry.

I gave it a couple spins when it came out. Sounds like a band trying to sound like Queensryche but lacking the chemistry.
    But it is Queensryche. Just not with Geoff Tate.

But it is Queensryche. Just not with Geoff Tate.
    I will disagree with that.

Agree it is the best of the LaTorre albums.