Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Saw The Lamb by The Musical Box last night

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar

Saw The Lamb by The Musical Box last night

I rarely have an opportunity to pen my thoughts on a live Prog concert, having lived my life on Vancouver Island off the west coast of British Columbia. Fortunately for me, The Musical Box came to the island for two concerts, and my wife gave me tickets for my birthday in January. We attended the second show which took place last evening. A few thoughts to share....

The Venue

The concert took place in the Charlie White Theatre at the Mary Winspear Centre in Sidney, a 30 minute drive from Victoria, where I call home. Capacity is 310, and I'd estimate it was a at least 2/3 full. While there were a few younger attendees, most would have been in their fifties and sixties (I'm 60). A lovely theatre with tiered plush seating, all with unobstructed views. A bar was available and you were welcome to take your drink into the theatre, but we did not avail. The stage was big enough to allow the band to spread out, but without having empty space to reduce the intimacy.

The Concert

In two words, excellent, and professional. I have experienced a grand total of one Genesis song in a live setting before this concert, and that was at Calprog 2005 when Bubblemath performed "The Knife"as their requisite offering of a 70's era Big Five (or whatever number) piece. I hadn't spun my Lamb records in years, but had enough playtime with it in my younger years to have the melodies firmly in my head. If I was honest, I wouldn't place The Lamb in my top 3 70's Genesis albums, and would have been tickled pink to hear a different album(s) from TMB. But, I like it enough, and since beggars can't be choosers, I was delighted to go! The band was great. The lead vocal played the part very well, donning the various wardrobes and taking the changing positions on the stage just as you would expect. At times he even sounded like Peter Gabriel. The rest of the band members were excellent and looked, for the most part, like they were enjoying the experience too. The visuals added to the concert, even if a few were on the edge. Does The Musical Box replicate this aspect of Genesis's concerts as well as the music? The sound level was absolutely perfect. Loud enough that you'd expect at a concert but not so loud to leave your ears ringing afterward. Perfect!

A personal highlight for me were the two encore songs, The Musical Box and Watcher of the Skies. I wasn't expecting these (probably should have if I had spent any time online investigating what I was in for) and was very pleasantly surprised. These two pieces emphasized to me how, at least instrumentally, The Lamb lacks some of the fullness and dynamics of their recordings prior to the Lamb. I was enraptured! All in all, a wonderful experience, made even better sharing it with my wife.

Final Thought

One worry I had going into the concert is the use of phones, and many people's penchant for feeling a need to record the concert, at the expense of others' sightlines. You know what? I didn't notice a single phone raised in the air to record the concert. Not one. I didn't even notice flashes from picture taking. That just helped to make the experience all the better.

Nice review.

Don, the encores were what they were because TMB isn't just playing an album, but replicating a tour presentation. They played those songs because that's what Genesis had done in 1974/75.

I'll be catching this tour next month. I haven't seen them do The Lamb, so I'm very much looking forward to it.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I saw the Lamb show when it premiered in Montreal about 21 years ago! I'm glad they made it out your way Don. The snow only melted about a month ago so I'm not lucky like you are with no winter! That might be worth missing a few shows.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Nice review.
    Thanks, Steve. I have a ways to go to match your concert review output, though.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Don, the encores were what they were because TMB isn't just playing an album, but replicating a tour presentation. They played those songs because that's what Genesis had done in 1974/75.

I'll be catching this tour next month. I haven't seen them do The Lamb, so I'm very much looking forward to it.
    Oh, I didn't know that. So it's a complete replication. Thanks for that information.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I saw the Lamb show when it premiered in Montreal about 21 years ago! I'm glad they made it out your way Don. The snow only melted about a month ago so I'm not lucky like you are with no winter! That might be worth missing a few shows.
    There's a happy medium there! I'd give up some portion of our mild winters for the opportunity to see a few more Prog performances on the island. It's not surprising bands don't venture across the waters, with the cost of a ferry - twice - and a smaller population than typical concert destinations.

If you can afford it, make sure you get floor seats. The show is a bit more mesmerizing, shall we say, from the floor. In particular The Waiting Room, and to a lesser extent, Watcher Of The Skies, are different experiences on the floor, from up in the balcony.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Nice review.
    I enjoyed it, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    If you can afford it, make sure you get floor seats. The show is a bit more mesmerizing, shall we say, from the floor. In particular The Waiting Room, and to a lesser extent, Watcher Of The Skies, are different experiences on the floor, from up in the balcony.
    As near as I can tell, I'm on the Floor, Right Side, about 12th row, close to the inner aisle.

I've seen the Lamb show 3 times I think but wouldn't bother again. Not a double album I usually do in one sitting.

Should SEBTP or earlier show come round, I'm there.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Arnold View Post

Oh, I didn't know that. So it's a complete replication. Thanks for that information.
    Even the between songs banter is a replication of the original show's.

Ember
    It’s always seemed to me more of a stage show than a tribute band. The “cast” has turned over, except for “Mike,” more than once, and in some cases several times. The dedication to authenticity and complete immersion in the era — yet with the benefits of modern sound quality and lighting — have the same effect that any excellent staging of great theater does. They allow you to transport yourself into the world of the show in a way that a standard concert normally doesn’t.

Musical Box is a unique thing in the world, IMO, and should be experienced in venues similar to those where Genesis played during the era.
    "I have not yet begun to procrastinate."

They do The Lamb on December 8 in Utrecht in a big location 1717 seats. Looks nice, but I'm not sure I'm willing to pay the price.

Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    It’s always seemed to me more of a stage show than a tribute band. The “cast” has turned over, except for “Mike,” more than once, and in some cases several times. The dedication to authenticity and complete immersion in the era — yet with the benefits of modern sound quality and lighting — have the same effect that any excellent staging of great theater does. They allow you to transport yourself into the world of the show in a way that a standard concert normally doesn’t.

Musical Box is a unique thing in the world, IMO, and should be experienced in venues similar to those where Genesis played during the era.
    I'm glad it isn't a stage show a la Broadway where they feel the need to add to the story or make the music more modern or whatever. Just show me what I missed by not seeing Genesis in 1974 and I'm happy.

I saw the production in late 2005 and it was excellent.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

I've probably seen them pushing 10 times. They have never been anything less than excellent.

I saw them at this venue on May 5, and will see the show again tonight in Vancouver. I did see Genesis perform it at Maple Leaf Gardens, Toronto, in 1974. In Toronto, I thought the show was underlit as we were about 40 yards from stage, from a closer vantage in this small theatre the lighting worked better. My impressions of the show were that it was a theatrical concert presentation. All of the replication of stage wear and costumes, props, Gabriel movements, even the accents in the spoken bits between songs seemed in my memories to be true to the original. In 74 I really enjoyed Collins drumming and it was again a highlight for me. With the clean sound as Don wrote, all of the different voicings and some of the difficult to sing passages really stood out for me. My first major concert in two years and my soul was nourished.
    I remember tomorrow

As near as I can tell, I'm on the Floor, Right Side, about 12th row, close to the inner aisle.
    (putting fingers together in Evil-Doers Finger Pyramid Of Thought) Good! Good!

There's a very old school lighting trick they use when they do Watcher Of The Skies in this context, specifically towards the end of the intro, but it only works for the floor seats. So you should be in a good position to get the full effect.

Don, the encores were what they were because TMB isn't just playing an album, but replicating a tour presentation.
    Kinda-sorta, even mostly, what with the costumes, props, and slide show... but: they don't play the music the way it was actually played on stage. They play it straight from the album, with breaks for "Peter Gabriel"'s Rael story (word for word from one show -- that varied too.) Or at least, that is what I saw about twenty years ago in Los Angeles. Anyone who is familiar with a good-quality Lamb bootleg will be familiar with the little variations they made from the album.

It is a hell of a good show. I think of it as a revival (like of a Broadway musical) rather than a "tribute band". You just have to set your expectations right.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Ten Thumbs View Post
    I saw them at this venue on May 5, and will see the show again tonight in Vancouver. I did see Genesis perform it at Maple Leaf Gardens, Toronto, in 1974. In Toronto, I thought the show was underlit as we were about 40 yards from stage, from a closer vantage in this small theatre the lighting worked better. My impressions of the show were that it was a theatrical concert presentation. All of the replication of stage wear and costumes, props, Gabriel movements, even the accents in the spoken bits between songs seemed in my memories to be true to the original. In 74 I really enjoyed Collins drumming and it was again a highlight for me. With the clean sound as Don wrote, all of the different voicings and some of the difficult to sing passages really stood out for me. My first major concert in two years and my soul was nourished.
    How many would you say attended the Thursday show? I echo your thoughts on the drummer. Next to "Gabriel" he was the most animated and "into it", in my opinion.

How many would you say attended the Thursday show? I echo your thoughts on the drummer. Next to "Gabriel" he was the most animated and "into it", in my opinion.
    Antoine Baril drummed when we saw them perform about two months ago, you can see why he'd be into it after watching the following, no?

I've seen TNB do The Lamb before, but I'll definitely go again if/when they come back to Boston. I recently saw them perform the Trick/Wind material, plus a wonderful selection of other songs. It was jaw-droppingly excellent, best I've ever seen them of the three/four times I've caught them.

Bill

My guesstimate is 125 > 150 attended for the first Sidney show, As far as the band looking 'into it', Genesis instrumentalists were never really animated, they were mostly sitting when playing and they stuck to their positions for the lighting scheme. One other minor but cool detail that kept it 1974, was the audible guitar tuning moment, something that modern gear has now either saved us from or deprived us of.
    I remember tomorrow

I'm both intrigued and frustrated by these comments! As I live in East Asia, there is zero chance that I will ever be able to see this show live in my neck of the woods, and it is one of a handful of live shows I'd ever be interested in checking out at this point in my life. This summer in July and August, I'm going to be back in northeast Ohio visiting for a month, but it appears that TMB isn't performing at all between mid-June and mid-September.

No doubt this has been asked before, but I'll ask again: would this band be able to release a DVD/Blu-Ray of any of their Genesis shows, or is this just not possible legally? It seems that they were on the verge of doing so a number of years ago, but the release got squelched (presumably by Genesis management/the record label). I do have an official release of a Lamb show from the tribute band ReGenesis (I think that's what it was... I need to check), so clearly THEY were able to do it. Someone enlighten me on this if you can!
    Last edited by Koreabruce; 05-09-2022 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    No doubt this has been asked before, but I'll ask again: would this band be able to release a DVD/Blu-Ray of any of their Genesis shows, or is this just not possible legally? It seems that they were on the verge of doing so a number of years ago, but the release got squelched (presumably by Genesis management/the record label). I do have an official release of a Lamb show from the tribute band ReGenesis (I think that's what it was... I need to check), so clearly THEY were able to do it. Someone enlighten me on this if you can!
    Sync licenses in the USA (and maybe Canada too? I don’t know) where music is sync’d to moving footage, are EXTREMELY difficult and problematic to get.

I assume that if they have not done it, there is a good reason (probably the above)
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Thanks, Steve. I'd assumed it was something along those lines.

Great review -- thanks much for sharing.

I bought a ticket for this exact show and then realized the next morning that my passport was expired (I live south of Seattle). Quite disappointing. Not a super expensive show but The Lamb is my favorite Genesis album and in my all-time top-five for any band. I have friends who live in Scotland and might try to see the date there in February 2023, but lots of ifs between here and there.