Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R.I.P. Bill Gillham of Cirrus Bay (PE's own 'bill g') :(

R.I.P. Bill Gillham of Cirrus Bay (PE's own 'bill g') :(

How awful. He was such a nice guy, a fellow Tony Banks fanatic, always liked talking to him...

https://shadesofnoirsite.wordpress.c...BZ4Eh3rppC7nr8
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Truly awful... I am so sorry to hear of this. I'd been wondering about him since he hadn't been on here in a while. Had no idea he was ill...

You're right, Bill was a really nice guy and always pleasant to talk to. His love of Tony Banks was second to none. This is heartbreaking news.

Thank you, Lorne, for letting us know. I'm gutted.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

He seemed like a very cool guy. My condolences to his family and friends.

Wow, that is really shocking! I'm so sorry to hear that. My deepest condolences to his family.

I knew Bill to be a very humble and mild-mannered man. Anyone could see that he was unfailingly gracious in every one of his interactions here on PE. He always seemed to radiate positive energy; I cannot recall a time when he didn't.

He was also clearly an accomplished musician. Like that linked article says, each of the Cirrus Bay albums was a step above the one that came before it, and each displayed considerable depth and scope in its own right.

I will be playing Cirrus Bay's music over the next week. I hope many here will do the same. It's the best way we can honor this gentle soul's legacy. R.I.P. Bill Gillham

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Oh damn. Thats terrible news. He was very knowledgeable and amiable and a definite asset to the site.

RIP
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    Wow, that is really shocking! I'm so sorry to hear that. My deepest condolences to his family.

I knew Bill to be a very humble and mild-mannered man. Anyone could see that he was unfailingly gracious in every one of his interactions here on PE. He always seemed to radiate positive energy; I cannot recall a time when he didn't.

He was also clearly an accomplished musician. Like that linked article says, each of the Cirrus Bay albums was a step above the one that came before it, and each displayed considerable depth and scope in its own right.

I will be playing Cirrus Bay's music over the next week. I hope many here will do the same. It's the best way we can honor this gentle soul's legacy. R.I.P. Bill Gillham
    Yes... Thank you for saying this, Bruce. You put it much better than I could have.

I will be listening to Cirrus Bay over the next several days as well, in memory of Bill. A gentle soul for sure.

My condolences to his wife, daughters, and friends. He's going to be missed.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Man, that is truly sad news. a really nice guy gone far too soon.

RIP Bill and condolences to family and friends.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    What everyone else said. RIP to a good guy. Sad news...

Always very sad to lose someone talented, someone who was a part of our little community here. Sincere condolences to his family and friends.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I thought Bill was a high classed individual. Very sorry to hear such tragic news.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 04-27-2022 at 08:37 PM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Very sad news indeed. Bill was an extremely kind, talented, and supportive fellow. I'll really miss him and extend all best wishes to friends and family.

Obituary:

https://everloved.com/life-of/bill-gillham/obituary/

Looking at his 'recent posts', can it really be almost four months since he last posted? It makes sense considering the battle he was facing, but it really doesn't seem like the last time we heard from him was New Year's Eve. It saddens me that I didn't yet realize I hadn't heard from him in a while, I feel I should have noticed that.

His last PM to me was one of our typically in-depth discussions on a Tony Banks CD single with a rare b-side from the Strictly Inc sessions. Like it wasn't enough that we both rambled on about that stuff in the public threads...

This is a piece he wrote for his wife:

Last edited by Progatron; 04-27-2022 at 10:23 AM.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Sad news. I have "the search for joy" somewhere which I'll have to look for and play later. RIP Bill.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

RIP

I will check out his music in his memory.

Very sad - he was a long, long-term member and contributor here.

Although the "Off-Topic (OT) - Music And Arts" is the correct place for RIPs, I'm moving this to the main forum because of his significance to PE.
    Regards,

Duncan

Damn, what terrible news. Such a nice person. I'm glad I had the chance via this forum to tell him how awesome I thought his work with Cirrus Bay was. Truly saddened by his passing. May he continue playing in the warmth of the Summerlands.

Very sad news. RIP.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Damn. I had no idea. RIP.

So sad to hear this. My condolences to his family and friends.

So sad. Rest In Peace Bill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never met Bill, but I have interacted with him on PE. He seemed like a very nice guy. It’s difficult losing anyone in the community, but Bill was the kind of person this community needs to thrive. So it hurts a little more to know that will no longer be.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

So very sad to hear this! Really love the music he gave us.

My sincere condolences to his family.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    I never met Bill, but I have interacted with him on PE. He seemed like a very nice guy. It’s difficult losing anyone in the community, but Bill was the kind of person this community needs to thrive. So it hurts a little more to know that will no longer be.
    Yeah, really. He was posting in the "whatever happened to" thread not that long ago it seems. He might not have posted a whole lot on here but it is difficult when members (especially talented musicians) leave us.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Animal View Post
    So very sad to hear this! Really love the music he gave us.

My sincere condolences to his family.
    I was just listening to "the search for joy" which is the only only Cirrus Bay I currently have and it really is very good. I think I liked it better the second time. I think anyone who likes Renaissance or even symph prog in general should check it out. They have others too.