Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Any Word On ProgDay 2022?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    How was Nektar? Haven't heard anything.
    I think if Nektar came on before ShwizZ, I would have enjoyed them more. It was nice to see the band.
    Last edited by Firth; 09-05-2022 at 09:06 PM.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Nektar were ok. Nice enough.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Enjoyed my first ProgDay! I was only there for the second day.

Jon Stickley Trio - A nice acoustic start to the day, I thought. I've seen them before, and the drummer (Hunter Deacon) plays jazz (from standards to out, free stuff) around Knoxville fairly regularly. The fiddle and guitar occasionally used pedals to play bass parts, but unfortunately, they were often inaudible (likely not the band's fault...). Also, only the lowest floor tom came booming through the PA. The other 3 toms didn't really come through the PA at all.

Aziola Cry - Pretty darn tight. While they stayed in the metal sphere mostly, it morphed around enough to keep my interest. There were two very long pieces that they executed quite well.

CHEER-ACCIDENT - I'm a pretty big fan... this was my 8th time seeing them this year. I can't really be objective about this one, but I'm glad to see that people seemed to have enjoyed their set. After the long (40 minutes?) delay due to sound issues (not the band's fault), I was too zapped from the heat to fully enjoy the set. Of course, if I'd have known it would take so long, I would have stayed in the shade until they started. There was a lot of cloud cover all day before this set, but the sun came out hotly for CH-AX. I think they played pretty much all the material they've been touring lately (at any given show, they usually play about 2/3 of their total repertoire - and they usually improvise for a few minutes).

Mike Keneally - So glad I finally got to see him live. Of course, I'd love to see him with a band, but I appreciated the intimate and casual nature of this. There were rumors all day about a jam session with some specific performers from the festival. Unfortunately, Keneally invited "anyone" to come up. So, besides some CHEER-ACCIDENT members, some random people from the audience got on stage... There was a vocalist improvising a song about ProgDay - that was amusing for a moment, but glad that she was whisked away. I wish someone would have whisked away the bro who went up and played keyboard. He just jammed the same basic chord progression over, and over, and over.... and over - not listening or relating to anything anyone else was trying to do. The other players just kind of gave up. That said, it still seems like the awkward kind of thing that CH-AX might do. They're all good sports and just roll with whatever happens. But I know it would have been an epic moment if keyboard guy wasn't there. If keyboard guy happens to be on this forum - I'm sorry - they might be a very nice person - but they were very out of place and basically prevented a proper improvisation from happening. And in keyboard bro's defense, Keneally made it sound like anyone was welcome. Anyway, besides that, I was very grateful for Keneally's set.

As an audio engineer myself, there were some big disappointments with the sound. The equipment seemed great - capable of clear, undistorted sound. However, it was often used poorly and incorrectly (they managed to distort vocals in a system that makes doing so difficult). It quickly became obvious that they didn't fully understand their gear. The delay before CHEER-ACCIDENT was 100% the sound crew's fault (they switched out a keyboard, but that wasn't the problem). Having seen so many CH-AX shows this year, the balance was way off (vocals way too hot, some parts inaudible). I acknowledge that their large band is a challenge (8 people moving around, changing mics, etc.). But still, a decent sound guy should be able to handle it. Even Keneally's solo stuff was riddled with issues (spent minutes trying to get a simple acoustic guitar and vocal set up - the acoustic guitar never came through [just instant feedback]). Audience members who don't pay attention to that kind of thing probably didn't think so much of it (I mean, the sound wasn't completely horrible - some instruments were pretty loud and clear... most of the time, at least), but it was a significant let down for me, obviously.

Sorry for all the negative criticism, but I think it needed to be said. Besides the Keneally improv situation and the sound issues, everything else was great. The performers, location, vibe, audience - all very very awesome! I saw a few people I'd met before, and met a few great folks for the first time. I'm so glad this festival exists, and I hope to go back.

Ultimately, my favorite aspect was the variety of music - acoustic/bluegrassy, metallic, CH-AX, and Keneally. All very different. Some people think prog rock all sounds like the bands of the 70s - but what I saw yesterday was fresh music that continues to push the boundaries.
    Last edited by ergalthema; 09-05-2022 at 07:08 PM.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Was the guy who wears all black and sits at the edge of the gazebo by the garbage can, reading a large tome, there? I forget his name.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Was the guy who wears all black and sits at the edge of the gazebo by the garbage can, reading a large tome, there? I forget his name.
    He was not.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Such a great time at the event. Aside from the music!!!!!! The Beer Snob sessions were awesome!!! Big heads up to old & new !!!!!Hotel was perfect, I personally love all U can Eat Bacon and Waffles!!!...Music wise. Just a quick one, the 1st bands on each day were my favorites! till 2023..!!!

That's the Grim Reaper. Nobody died, so I assume he wasn't there.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ergalthema View Post
    As an audio engineer myself, there were some big disappointments with the sound. The equipment seemed great - capable of clear, undistorted sound. .
    I wasn’t paying attention to what was going on during Cheer Accident’s setup and am not sure what the issues were. The number of musicians on stage was very large and the setup process had many degrees of freedom. On the previous day, the monitor mix person wasn’t available and that resulted in imbalance in multiple ways for Infinien’s sound. I discussed the new speaker system with the engineer and I was impressed with his emphasis on how coherent this system was described as compared to the multiple QSC array which had 3 units which were not aligned in time and amplitude. On the new system, not only was it clear, but imaging was the best I have heard at Progday. Since this was a stereo mix, if one was seated close and to the sides, it’s possible that imbalance would be perceived. Some were sitting very close to the stage and no center fill speaker for the audience was there like one sees on some system. I sat next to the sound board. IMO Nektar was too loud IMO, likely because the band insisted on too much on stage volume which had to be overcome by the PA.

Banned
    There was however the Grand Musketeer in black stretch pants with electric blue fanny pack covering the forward private parts, and of course wearing the consistent three point hat covering the more than shoulder length black hair.

I was naive to think that anyone joining us onstage would be hip to the nature of that sort of improv - I think I was hoping that the Cheer Accident folks (who are unbelievably great) would exert so much sway that their level of creativity merged with mine would rule the day. I eagerly anticipate doing something more focused with them sometime - amazing band and lovely people.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mkeneally View Post
    I was naive to think that anyone joining us onstage would be hip to the nature of that sort of improv - I think I was hoping that the Cheer Accident folks (who are unbelievably great) would exert so much sway that their level of creativity merged with mine would rule the day. I eagerly anticipate doing something more focused with them sometime - amazing band and lovely people.
    So a strange accident merged with Cheer Accident and held many aghast, especially Deb Byrd whose face expressions said much. While this wasn’t great musical entertainment, it definitely was entertaining and conversation generating. It reminded me of an SNL comedy skit involving Jimmy Fallon:

The keyboards of the strange accident, if made even more Mickey Mouse could have turned it into more of a comedy.

And then Cheer Accident and Mike separated from the strange accident and put together a good performance.

…. amazing band and lovely people.
    Glad to hear that you got to enjoy their set; their current live lineup is great (as were the last 8-10 before this one; before that is before I was paying proper attention)…
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    There was however the Grand Musketeer in black stretch pants with electric blue fanny pack covering the forward private parts, and of course wearing the consistent three point hat covering the more than shoulder length black hair.
    Yeah, I have no idea what that was about, but I'm sure there's an explanation.

Mike, the look on your face that first 10-15 minutes was priceless, and told the story.

Imo, performing solo, you were up against it. After the improv bit, you must have felt ambushed, but not maliciously so. It was actually funny in a madhouse sort of way, which I'm sure was not the intent. You recovered nicely,.

Having seen you with BFD and Progject, I'd come see you anytime. Thank you so much for coming to Progday.

I eagerly anticipate doing something more focused with them sometime - amazing band and lovely people.
    Just have to say I REALLY hope that works out.

You are a true pro and it showed throughout the set.
    Hat was a treat. Not something to expect to see.
    And Inca Roads, heck yeah!

A Cheer Accident/ Keneally melange could be one for the ages.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

I think if Nektar came on after ShwizZ, I would have enjoyed them more. It was nice to see the band.
    You mean Nektar weren't headliners? That's interesting.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

I think that was a typo by Firth, Nektar were headlining and followed ShwizZ
    Ian

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    You mean Nektar weren't headliners? That's interesting.
    Corrected. Nektar was after, but if they were before, the pace would have worked better.

The eons are closing
    MK - sorry I was not there or I would have attempted Help Slip I'm a Rock ;-)

It seems like fun was generally and genuinely had!
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

As Ian said, no Steve wasn't there. He and I talk regularly though; he's doing well but wasn't able to make it this year.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

We are only halfway home tonight but wanted to say a few quick words. It was a fantastic weekend as always, and just great to be back on the farm meeting up with old friends and new. Since most people on this board do not use their real names, I am still not always sure who is who, but it was great seeing many of you. Michael and the rest of the crew put on a fantastic weekend and although I know there were some headaches behind the scenes, for the most part it was smooth sailing from an audience perspective. I will try to write up a more comprehensive review when I get time later in the week.

Quote Originally Posted by ergalthema View Post
    Enjoyed my first ProgDay! I was only there for the second day.

Jon Stickley Trio - A nice acoustic start to the day, I thought. I've seen them before, and the drummer (Hunter Deacon) plays jazz (from standards to out, free stuff) around Knoxville fairly regularly. The fiddle and guitar occasionally used pedals to play bass parts, but unfortunately, they were often inaudible (likely not the band's fault...). Also, only the lowest floor tom came booming through the PA. The other 3 toms didn't really come through the PA at all.

Aziola Cry - Pretty darn tight. While they stayed in the metal sphere mostly, it morphed around enough to keep my interest. There were two very long pieces that they executed quite well.

CHEER-ACCIDENT - I'm a pretty big fan... this was my 8th time seeing them this year. I can't really be objective about this one, but I'm glad to see that people seemed to have enjoyed their set. After the long (40 minutes?) delay due to sound issues (not the band's fault), I was too zapped from the heat to fully enjoy the set. Of course, if I'd have known it would take so long, I would have stayed in the shade until they started. There was a lot of cloud cover all day before this set, but the sun came out hotly for CH-AX. I think they played pretty much all the material they've been touring lately (at any given show, they usually play about 2/3 of their total repertoire - and they usually improvise for a few minutes).

Mike Keneally - So glad I finally got to see him live. Of course, I'd love to see him with a band, but I appreciated the intimate and casual nature of this. There were rumors all day about a jam session with some specific performers from the festival. Unfortunately, Keneally invited "anyone" to come up. So, besides some CHEER-ACCIDENT members, some random people from the audience got on stage... There was a vocalist improvising a song about ProgDay - that was amusing for a moment, but glad that she was whisked away. I wish someone would have whisked away the bro who went up and played keyboard. He just jammed the same basic chord progression over, and over, and over.... and over - not listening or relating to anything anyone else was trying to do. The other players just kind of gave up. That said, it still seems like the awkward kind of thing that CH-AX might do. They're all good sports and just roll with whatever happens. But I know it would have been an epic moment if keyboard guy wasn't there. If keyboard guy happens to be on this forum - I'm sorry - they might be a very nice person - but they were very out of place and basically prevented a proper improvisation from happening. And in keyboard bro's defense, Keneally made it sound like anyone was welcome. Anyway, besides that, I was very grateful for Keneally's set.

As an audio engineer myself, there were some big disappointments with the sound. The equipment seemed great - capable of clear, undistorted sound. However, it was often used poorly and incorrectly (they managed to distort vocals in a system that makes doing so difficult). It quickly became obvious that they didn't fully understand their gear. The delay before CHEER-ACCIDENT was 100% the sound crew's fault (they switched out a keyboard, but that wasn't the problem). Having seen so many CH-AX shows this year, the balance was way off (vocals way too hot, some parts inaudible). I acknowledge that their large band is a challenge (8 people moving around, changing mics, etc.). But still, a decent sound guy should be able to handle it. Even Keneally's solo stuff was riddled with issues (spent minutes trying to get a simple acoustic guitar and vocal set up - the acoustic guitar never came through [just instant feedback]). Audience members who don't pay attention to that kind of thing probably didn't think so much of it (I mean, the sound wasn't completely horrible - some instruments were pretty loud and clear... most of the time, at least), but it was a significant let down for me, obviously.

Sorry for all the negative criticism, but I think it needed to be said. Besides the Keneally improv situation and the sound issues, everything else was great. The performers, location, vibe, audience - all very very awesome! I saw a few people I'd met before, and met a few great folks for the first time. I'm so glad this festival exists, and I hope to go back.

Ultimately, my favorite aspect was the variety of music - acoustic/bluegrassy, metallic, CH-AX, and Keneally. All very different. Some people think prog rock all sounds like the bands of the 70s - but what I saw yesterday was fresh music that continues to push the boundaries.
    Just for the record the keyboard guy during that jam is ProgDay's longtime keyboard tech Todd, so was not just a random audience member.

My only comment on the sound would be that I think the tragic loss of long time ProgDay stage / sound / equipment guru Roger Brady loomed large this year.
    Last edited by SteveSly; 09-05-2022 at 11:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by beano View Post
    Such a great time at the event. Aside from the music!!!!!! The Beer Snob sessions were awesome!!! Big heads up to old & new !!!!!Hotel was perfect, I personally love all U can Eat Bacon and Waffles!!!...Music wise. Just a quick one, the 1st bands on each day were my favorites! till 2023..!!!
    The past few years I was always working the ticket table when the gathering took place, so it was great to be able to participate this year.

That was Jeff Blanks who I think is a member of this board, although I am not sure what name he goes under.
    Last edited by SteveSly; 09-05-2022 at 11:32 PM.