Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Rush, "Moving Pictures" 40th Anniversary Edition (April 2022)

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Is it a digipak? Are the original front and back cover art reproduced inside, on two full pages? Does it like to travel and enjoy fine food and wine?

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    It's certainly listenable but I'm wondering what it would sound like if it was mixed by someone else? It just seems to lack some clarity and punch, which was the initial problem of Exit Stage Left. I need to do a proper headphone spin of the whole thing though.
    Agreed. I got a sneak preview and it's a bit muddy, as expected. I don't have ESL and I bet it sounds better. But I guess they're just stuck with a flawed source tape. You'd think they'd be able to bring some separation to let it breathe a bit, since there was only three of them. The guitar could be brought forward a bit more, too.

Nonetheless, it's still a great show. It's nice to hear the band at their peak (I saw the same tour on my birthday in Philly) with Geddy hitting all the notes.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    The guitar could be brought forward a bit more, too.
    You really think so? A friend played me his copy (i didn't buy it so just going by his set-up) and the guitar just dominates the whole left channel from what i heard. Just as the bass is mixed Very loudly in the right channel. Sounds like it was mixed/mastered by someone with (severe) hearing loss. The whole thing is severely compressed with the bass/guitar mixed too loudly causing serious ear-fatigue. It reminded me of those highly compressed FM broadcasts from years passed: a real shame imo.
    (And the one instrument that suffers the most in the mix are the drums which are just drowned out by the guitar/bass--maybe because the drummer isn't around to suggest: "make me louder in the mix"? or the mixer/(re)masterer trying to please him(?)
    But IT does sound like you are at THE show with the instruments/vocal so in your face--probably a good thing for those who saw these guys back then/and are also experiencing hearing loss from too many shows!

^^Yes, I do think so. The guitar may dominate the left channel, but it's overpowered by the bass and drums. I agree with the rest of your assessment. Well, except the guitar being mixed too loudly.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    That's what they get for not getting Steven The Redeemer to do the job

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    That's what they get for not getting Steven The Redeemer to do the job

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    I bought the download and I think the concert is instantly the best official Rush live release ever. It’s everything I love about Exit…Stage Left, but without all of the fixes and the clinical, cleaned up sound.
    Last edited by Frumious B; 04-17-2022 at 09:13 AM.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    I bought the download and I think the concert is instantly the best official Rush live release ever. It’s everything I love about Exit…Stage Left, but without all of the fixes and the clinical, cleaned up sound.
    It would be great if they could release something like this live album to sort of replace "A Show of Fans." I guess there are some decent bootlegs from then, but they could do something better. I like A Show of Fans, but it's awfully clinical.

It would be great if they could release something like this live album to sort of replace "A Show of Fans." I guess there are some decent bootlegs from then, but they could do something better. I like A Show of Fans, but it's awfully clinical.
    You mean A Show of Hands? I get what you're saying, but I've liked it since its release.

I'm not sure you'll find much that's not clinical at that stage of their career or, especially, later. What's great about the earlier ones is that they were either still hungry or just making it to the top of the world.

A lot on PE were critical of Rush in Rio but I think that one had a nice raw, seat-of-our-pants feel to it.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Listened to the live show yesterday ….. sounds OK. Not great, but not terrible. I still find the mix a bit congested and muddy. My favorite Rush tour though.

Quote Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
    Listened to the live show yesterday ….. sounds OK. Not great, but not terrible. I still find the mix a bit congested and muddy. My favorite Rush tour though.
    Is it my imagination, or does the mix seem to get better later in the set?

My favorite Rush is roughly Permanent Waves through Hold Your Fire so anything new that helps to fill in those years is going to have my undivided attention. I assume we are going to get anniversary editions of the remaining Mercury albums so it will be interesting to see what they unearth. Maybe the entire show that is excerpted on the single disc Grace Under Pressure Tour?

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    Where at? Interested in a download too.
    Artist formerly known as Phlakaton

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    No thanks! I wonder how much they charged for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchentootz View Post
    Where at? Interested in a download too.
    It’s on Qobuz.

HDtracks also has the download, with a coupon code available.

Well, Amazon managed to get my Mega Super Deluxe version here without destroying it on the second try. The first one showed up with the shipping box looking perfect but everything inside was crushed on one corner (including all of the materials in the boxed set). The second one showed up with the shipping boxed utterly destroyed and just barely holding onto its contents but the set itself looks to be in perfect condition. I know better than to order anything I care about the condition it arrives in from Amazon. I end up returning about 50% of the books I order because they are damaged in shipping (or packing or both). Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse than UPS or Fedex Amazon gets into the shipping business. I'm not sure why I didn't just order it directly from the Rush store... next time.

Quote Originally Posted by syncopatico View Post
    You really think so? A friend played me his copy (i didn't buy it so just going by his set-up) and the guitar just dominates the whole left channel from what i heard. Just as the bass is mixed Very loudly in the right channel. Sounds like it was mixed/mastered by someone with (severe) hearing loss. The whole thing is severely compressed with the bass/guitar mixed too loudly causing serious ear-fatigue. It reminded me of those highly compressed FM broadcasts from years passed: a real shame imo.
    (And the one instrument that suffers the most in the mix are the drums which are just drowned out by the guitar/bass--maybe because the drummer isn't around to suggest: "make me louder in the mix"? or the mixer/(re)masterer trying to please him(?)
    But IT does sound like you are at THE show with the instruments/vocal so in your face--probably a good thing for those who saw these guys back then/and are also experiencing hearing loss from too many shows!
    Recorded live at Maple Leaf Gardens, Toronto, ON by Guy Charbonneau using Le Mobile Remote Recording March 24 & 25, 1981
    Mixed by Terry Brown at Blue Sound & Music. Toronto, ON - December 2020 - February 2021
    Technical Assistance: Russ Mackay
    Mastered by Peter Moore - 2021

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    A Show of Fans was a fanzine. Anyway, I ripped the DVD audio for ASOH. It's a much more pleasing experience than the CD release.
    Chad

I don't know why they had to cram the guitar into the left channel. I did a quick check on other live releases and there's guitar coming out of the right as well. Reminds of those first few Van Halen albums where Eddie was mixed all to one side. It drives me nuts listening to something like that on headphones.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I don't know why they had to cram the guitar into the left channel. I did a quick check on other live releases and there's guitar coming out of the right as well. Reminds of those first few Van Halen albums where Eddie was mixed all to one side. It drives me nuts listening to something like that on headphones.
    Two words:

Terry Brown

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Back when Different Stages, which has a similar wide stereo separation between guitar and bass, came out I specifically recall an interview where it was stated that they mixed it that way as a tip of the hat to The Who-Live At Leeds.