MC5
    New York Dolls
    Dolly Parton*
    Rage Against the Machine
    Lionel Richie*
    Carly Simon*
    A Tribe Called Quest*
    Dionne Warwick

(Asterisk indicates a first-time nominee)

Since there is such a big push to induct women, I figure Benatar and Parton will get in at least. I figure Lionel as well. There are a few rock acts actually nominated, and I would love to see New York Dolls get in. I also would like to see Carly Simon get in. Could this finally be Judas Priest's year? lol I guess at this point, the most glaring prog omissions from the Hall would be King Crimson, Moody Blues, ELP, and Jethro Tull. I am in a Trans-Siberian Orchestra fan group and their rabid fanbase is all over this, now that 25 years have passed since their debut album. (I for one, do not think they should get in, since they are more of a touring production than an actual band.)

John Sykes, chairman of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation, was interviewed by Billboard last year. He addressed all of the non-rock artists in the Hall:

Sykes: I have told the board and all our committees that we have an ongoing commitment to honor the artists who really created the sound of youth culture. That means rock and roll as well as hip-hop, R&B and rap. In order to be relevant, the Rock Hall has to evolve with the music that is impacting youth culture. That was the platform that the Hall was built on in the first place.

Just like any artist must evolve in their career, so should the Hall of Fame. Rock and roll was the music for so many years that moved youth culture. It still is part of it, but now you have hip-hop and rap that really is part of that.

The Hall has already inducted artists beyond just the rock and roll genre and this year we continue that with not only with Jay-Z, but also the special committee awards honoring LL Cool J [award for musical excellence] and Gil Scott-Heron [early influence award]. What we’re seeing now is the emergence of rap and hip-hop being recognized not only in the performer category but also in the special committee categories.

What I’m really impressed with proud of is that this year’s class is amazingly diverse. Three out of six performers – The Go-Go’s, Carole King and Tina Turner – are women. You’ve got a first-ballot hip-hop artist, Jay-Z, going in. You’ve got a first-ballot rock band, Foo Fighters, going in. It shows how diverse the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has become. Our mandate, which started out as purely rock and roll, [has become] to honor the artists that have moved and changed the sound of young America.

Billboard: Have you toyed with the idea of changing the name to reflect the Hall’s new broader outlook or is the name too well established?

Sykes: I think because the Hall has naturally evolved because of the nominating committee and the emergence of new forms of music that it kind of evolves into that. There’s no reason to flip a light switch and change the name. Our behavior will define the name. The artists we induct will define the name.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Sykes: There’s no reason to flip a light switch and change the name. Our behavior will define the name. The artists we induct will define the name.
    In other words, "We'll redefine what it means to be Rock Music by our behavior and inductions." AKA "Blah, blah, bullshit."

It’s now officially the Anything That Was Ever Played On The Radio Hall Of Fame. Dolly Parton and Dionne Warwick are great, but come on. Even the “youth culture” excuse doesn’t wash there.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Actually I'm surprised Dionne Warwick and Kate Bush aren't there already. But otherwise I find that a pretty indifferent crop TBH. Maybe I'm a 'rockist', but they call it the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame! And I can't personally see how they justify the likes of Eurythmics (who aren't even critics darlings, that I know of) getting the nod over King Crimson or Jethro Tull.

Obviously there's a few like MC5 that should have been in years ago, but they repeatedly get nominated and don't get any further than that.

I don't own a single album by Eurythmics or either of the principals thereof, so take this with as much salt as you think appropriate; but: I actually think they're one of the better "new wave" bands of the '80s, and deserve to be on that list at least as much as about half the people on there.

While I too regret the absence of more progressive acts, they have a wide spectrum of music to filter through, and no artist is going to please everyone. The name may be inaccurate, but the Hall reasonably represents the range of popular tastes throught several decades and growing. Jethro Tull will never be nominated because Anderson has clearly stated his disdain and disinterest, and they won't waste their time on him; King Crimson has never -- well, for about five minutes in 1969 -- been a popular act.

To be clear: I hold no brief for the R&RHoF, but I think the constant shitting on them is a bit OTT. They do what they do, and, as far as I can tell, they do it well, even if the name is inaccurate.

From that list, I think (read: personal opinion, not trying to set standards here) the following certainly belong in a list of nominees for some kind of music hall of fame: Kate Bush, DEVO, Eminem, Eurythmics, Fela Kuti, MC5, New York Dolls, Dolly Parton, and Dionne Warwick.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    I guess at this point, the most glaring prog omissions from the Hall would be King Crimson, Moody Blues, ELP, and Jethro Tull.
    I'm pretty sure the Moodies are in, I remember the girls from Heart giving an induction speech.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I'm pretty sure the Moodies are in, I remember the girls from Heart giving an induction speech.
    Yes, the Moodies were inducted the year after Yes was which I think was in 2017 iirc.

Unfortunately I don't think any more major prog acts will be inducted anytime soon (not that there are that many left who would even qualify).
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Yes! Forgot that the Moodies had made it! Thanks for the correction.

Pat Benatar, of whom I'm a fan, should be in.
    Judas Priest, whom I never really cared for, should also be in.

Couldn't really care less about the rest, although I wouldn't be upset if Eurythmics, Duran Duran or Kate Bush made it.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Pat Benatar, of whom I'm a fan, should be in.
    Judas Priest, whom I never really cared for, should also be in.

Couldn't really care less about the rest, although I wouldn't be upset if Eurythmics, Duran Duran or Kate Bush made it.
    I agree. JP were one of the most influential hm bands so it's dumb for Metallica to be in and not them. Heck, even Iron Maiden aren't even in. If it wasn't for JP and IM there would be no friggin Metallica to begin with. Whoever decided Metallica should get in before them was going a bit too much by album sales and not looking at the bigger picture when it comes to the heavy metal genre (imo).

Duran Duran is a band I liked when I was younger and still like to a degree. They should have been in a while ago imo. The same thing with Pat Benatar. If Pat gets in I hope they give some credit to her guitarist and husband Neil Giraldo as well.

Kate Bush is kind of an odd one imo. I don't mean her sound or style(which I suppose could be considered odd to some) but the fact that she is being considered since I don't think she's that well known in the US. Don't get me wrong. I'm definitely glad she's nominated because she deserves it. I just don't think most US music fans know much about her and if they are going by fan votes she might not do too well. I suppose you could say the same thing(and then some) about Fela Kuti though.

Devo are probably mostly forgotten these days but very influential in the new wave genre so they should get in (then again not everyone who should get in does obviously).
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Kate Bush is the only artist on that list that I give a rat's ass about. Hopefully she gets in.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    It's been the Hall of Whomever The Hell We Feel Like Inducting for decades. Holds no more importance to me than the random article that pops up on FB.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    One of my favourite albums as a teen was Sad Wings Of Destiny. I hope Judas Priest gets in. Kate for sure.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Banned
    Looking at the original inductee class of 1986, one can see that the "Hall" was heavily weighted with R&B, Soul and Rockabilly:

Chuck Berry
    James Brown
    Ray Charles
    Sam Cooke
    Fats Domino
    Everly Brothers
    Buddy Holly
    Jerry Lee Lewis
    Little Richard
    Elvis Presely

The years that followed kept on this path, so it is obvious that the Hall was built on the "roots" of musical influence on the youth (and no so youth) culture. That also explains why it was (and is) so tough for Hard Rock and Prog Rock artists to get in.

Yeah, and a candidate for induction has to be 25 years into a career before they are eligible, which explains why Dolly Parton is a first time nominee. They've always had Country Rock artists in the Rock Hall, and Dolly would have been nominated much sooner, had her career started before 1996.

Not surprised there's no prog acts included. If I have insomnia, I'll watch the show.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Michael Nesmith dies..so..did the NomCom not get the news to get the The Monkees on the ballot?

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    Michael Nesmith dies..so..did the NomCom not get the news to get the The Monkees on the ballot?
    They're waiting for Mickey to leave us so they can have Taylor Swift do "Last Train To Clarksville" backed by the Foo Fighters and not have to be bothered with any of the old-timer originals on stage. Now get off my lawn.

If Joan Jett can get in for one famous hit that she didn't even write... then Pat Benatar deserves it.

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    If Joan Jett can get in for one famous hit that she didn't even write... then Pat Benatar deserves it.
    +10 million. And I'm not even a Pat Benetar fan.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I am a man of contradictions.

I think the RRHOF is absolute joke of an idea and do not care about it.

I am angry that the MC5 have failed to get in. I grew up in the Detroit area when they were active, playing at the Grande Ballroom or the Easttown Theater (or opening for Hendrix or Blue Cheer). You have no idea what they were like as a live band- absolutely riveting and louder than loud, and angry and astonishing. They were punk before punk, metal before metal.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    In other words, "We'll redefine what it means to be Rock Music by our behavior and inductions." AKA "Blah, blah, bullshit."
    It should be called "The Trophy for Being in a Self Important Critic's Collection"
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    I am a man of contradictions.

I think the RRHOF is absolute joke of an idea and do not care about it.

I am angry that the MC5 have failed to get in. I grew up in the Detroit area when they were active, playing at the Grande Ballroom or the Easttown Theater (or opening for Hendrix or Blue Cheer). You have no idea what they were like as a live band- absolutely riveting and louder than loud, and angry and astonishing. They were punk before punk, metal before metal.
    I find the whole RRHOF annoying really. It is nothing but critics singing praise to their music collections.
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

When a new rrhof nominee list pops up it seems to be loaded w/ generic also rans and stuff that's about as rock as Perry Como. It's as if someone there thinks we're running out of good stuff to pick from. Just put up Can, Captain Beefheart, King Crimson, Blue Cheer, Quicksilver Messenger Service, XTC, Mahavishnu Orchestra and Blue Oyster Cult and i'll gladly stfu and piss and moan about something else.
    Last edited by Bake 2; 05-21-2022 at 12:55 PM.

not that I care at all (I don't like the institution), but....

Kate Bush
    Eminem*
    Judas Priest
    Fela Kuti
    MC5
    Rage Against the Machine

all have (or had) my ears (yes even Marshall Bruce Mathers* - didn't know he was still around, though)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.