Thread: In Memeory Of Elizibeth Reed

In Memeory Of Elizibeth Reed

Tired after a hard day, asked Alexa to shuffle my songs and she leads off with this Live From The Fillmore. I'm not so tired now, ready to do at least half my life over again...........tonight!

I'd wake up for that too, its my favorite Allman Bros song.

+1
    Tough song to beat.
    RIP Duane....50yrs gone.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Just listened to it the other day. You simply cannot beat that groove in the first part.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

My Allman Brothers tribute band rehearsed this evening for a gig this Sunday. Idlewild West.
    No American band better than the original six.

So good.
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    My Allman Brothers tribute band rehearsed this evening for a gig this Sunday. Idlewild West.
    No American band better than the original six.
    Good luck with the show on Sunday. I wish I could transport myself to California. I agree with your assessment, but I think Hittin The Note is amazingly strong later day effort.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

We are going to the Allman Family Revival concert in Ann Arbor in December featuring the Allman / Betts band and a bunch of special guests. I think it is going to be really cool: https://www.allmanfamilyrevival.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    We are going to the Allman Family Revival concert in Ann Arbor in December featuring the Allman / Betts band and a bunch of special guests. I think it is going to be really cool: https://www.allmanfamilyrevival.com/
    Looks great! I noted Lamar Williams Jr. on the bill…..amazing how many performing offspring this group has had.

I've jammed over this one myself. As with "Whipping Post", "Dreams" or "Don't Keep Me Wondering" you don't really want to stop playing once you're in. I never experienced that with playing covers on "Les Brers" or "Jessica", although "Blue Sky" is tricky to quit when recalling Betts' initial solo.

Damn, they were great back then. Even the original (and purportedly somewhat abbreviated) studio renditions of "Whipping" and "Elizabeth" are stupendous.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

When I was in Sedona a few months back, I saw a local band of young musicians (in their 20's) playing in a restaurant and they were playing only old 70's songs. They performed Elizabeth Reed, Reeling in the Years, even Spain by Chick Corea... I stayed the whole night. I could not believe these guys were playing songs that were already old before they were born. It gave me hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    When I was in Sedona a few months back, I saw a local band of young musicians (in their 20's) playing in a restaurant and they were playing only old 70's songs. They performed Elizabeth Reed, Reeling in the Years, even Spain by Chick Corea... I stayed the whole night. I could not believe these guys were playing songs that were already old before they were born. It gave me hope.
    I've come to the opinion that vintage music is still going strong with younger people because the same things that tickled our ears in these old chestnuts all those years ago are just super durable. A good hook is a good hook. A good groove is a good groove. And there's not much of either of these in what passes for modern pop music. I honestly feel a lot of what passes as "good pop music" today, is simply there because it's new and different. Not necessarily based on any sense of quality.

You kids get off my lawn!
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.