Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: New Marillion Album on the Way

New Marillion Album on the Way

Here are the guys talking about the new record they're currently working on:

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    Here are the guys talking about the new record they're currently working on:

Not until 2022 judging by their usual speed and the fact that they are just about to enter Real World Studios where they usually record the drum backing tracks.

I think it's great Marillion is still writing/recording new material, and touring(when they can again).
    I've been a fan for decades including the Fish era, and have loved what Hogarth has added to the band.
    But for me, everything after Marbles has been pretty much the same formula, and I didn't even bother picking up FEAR.
    I bought the Live at Royal Albert Hall, and it's wonderful to see them reach that peak in their career, but if I grab a Marillion Live DVD, it's usually one of the older Weekend DVD set.

It's similar to how I feel about Dreamtheater, I bought every new release, but after awhile, even towards the end when Portnoy was still with them, it all sounds recycled and same-o, to the point, you might as well put on one of the older albums.
    Same for me with Marillion.
    They would have to do something radically different musically to catch my attention again.

Not a knock on anyone else's feelings about Marillion, just my own POV for myself and what I like to hear from them.

Thanks for posting this Koreabruce.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

^ I think F.E.A.R. was a step up in quality from their previous several albums, but it was not "new and different," so I would generally agree with your assessment.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Yes, I saw that last night and was going to start a thread. Thanks for doing this important announcement. Marillion rulz!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

They may have settled into a style after Marbles, although IMO Somewhere Else was a little bit different and that's probably why it felt a bit jarring to me at the time. I've grown to like it a lot more though.

Happiness Is The Road is by far my favorite Marillion album of the past 15 years -- which might not be saying much, judging by the frequency at which they release music. But I felt that HitR surpassed even Marbles. It's up there with Brave and AoS for me.

Although I can see how they've somewhat settled into a general 'sound' since Marbles, every album still has several excellent tracks for my tastes, so I've continued to buy and enjoy them. Somewhere Else is probably their most overlooked album IMO. It got a bit lost in the shuffle after the towering double albums on either side of it, and also was just a simple release compared to the massive campaign editions of the others. It also has no big epics, but it does happen to have some very strong songs that never get a fair shake. And it led to the finest live release of their catalogue for me: Somewhere In London.

Happiness Is The Road is a unique release, with one concept disc and one disc of unrelated songs. Both have many great moments throughout, and the aforementioned campaign edition is probably the most beautiful of them all, with stunning artwork and photos in the huge accompanying book. Sounds That Can't Be Made has some divisive epics. Some feel the 'stitched-together' aspect makes the songs lack cohesion, but the parts that work for me really hit hard, especially on tracks like Gaza and Montréal (the latter of which holds a special place for me, as I've always been at those conventions and relate to the lyrics). FEAR took longer for me to appreciate as a whole, but I immediately loved The New Kings, and much of the rest grew on me over time.

From what they're saying, this new one is to be more energetic than FEAR. I expect I'll like it, as they've never really done a 'bad' album IMO, just an occasional one with fewer great songs for my tastes.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post

From what they're saying, this new one is to be more energetic than FEAR.
    Right. More upbeat in tempo and in tone, and it sounds like shorter songs. I can see them trying to create a more uplifting album after the year we've all had.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Right. More upbeat in tempo and in tone, and it sounds like shorter songs. I can see them trying to create a more uplifting album after the year we've all had.
    Just echoing what you are saying. Despite being huge fan, the slow tempos are getting tiring. Upbeat in tempo is welcome from me.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

The last album I bought was Sounds, and it's been a long time since I've listened, but I may revisit the cd this weekend.
    I think the comments about more uptempo shorter songs may peak my interest, because for me the long, serious-woes of the world songs just became tiring for me personally.
    But as Progatron mentioned, there were always gems on each release.

A bit off topic, but I was in the mood for some early Hogarth Marillion last weekend, and for some reason the driving intro to Splintering Heart kept playing in my head.
    I went to pull out the Holidays In Eden cd and found my long lost rarely played live Marillion cd, Made Again. WOW!! what a wonderful setlist of live Marillion with Hogarth.
    I had become so used to watching video concerts, I'd forgotten all about this live double cd .
    If you've got it in your collection, check it out, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

On a separate note, I finally broke down and ordered my favorite Fish era Marillion album, Clutching At Straws, the 2018 remix on vinyl. It arrived yesterday, it WILL be on the turntable tonight!
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

The eons are closing
    Re: Made Again
    Will revisit but I recall really not liking the 'sound' and as such have rarely played it.

For live H-era - I always reach for Anorak in the UK

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Will revisit but I recall really not liking the 'sound' and as such have rarely played it.

Interesting. I think "Anorak in the UK" is by far their worst-sounding live release. Way too compressed and clipped.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post

If there was a bad sound to it, I fixed that with a couple of adult beverages, and it sounds fine. lol
    For me personally, there is something magical about the first couple of albums when Hogarth joined. I remember driving 35 miles in a Michigan snowstorm on a Friday Night to Ann Arbor's Schoolkid's Record shop to pick up Holidays in Eden.
    We got home after a white knuckles on the steering wheel drive home in the snow, and put the cd on and it was like gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    If there was a bad sound to it, I fixed that with a couple of adult beverages, and it sounds fine. lol
    For me personally, there is something magical about the first couple of albums when Hogarth joined. I remember driving 35 miles in a Michigan snowstorm on a Friday Night to Ann Arbor's Schoolkid's Record shop to pick up Holidays in Eden.
    We got home after a white knuckles on the steering wheel drive home in the snow, and put the cd on and it was like gold.
    Great story! Thanks for sharing that.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Despite being huge fan, the slow tempos are getting tiring. Upbeat in tempo is welcome from me.
    It's why I used to refer to them as Maudlin. I barely made it through F.E.A.R. I like about half of HitR. Sounds had a couple of decent tunes on it. I usually reach for an amended version of Marbles that I have on my phone. Some of my favorite songs ever are Marillion songs. But most of their albums I find are a bit tedious to me.

FEAR had some good moments but it’s rare I revisit that album more than 2 times a year. Not as strong as what came before it. Looking forward to the new album !

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    For early h-era I like De Montford Hall, Liecester - 1990 show, which is on the Stoke Row to Ipanema DVD. That must be the earliest official Hogarth-era video, right?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    For early h-era I like De Montford Hall, Liecester - 1990 show, which is on the Stoke Row to Ipanema DVD. That must be the earliest official Hogarth-era video, right?
    Yep other than bootlegs that’s the first official with Hogarth I think.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I bought the Live at Royal Albert Hall, and it's wonderful to see them reach that peak in their career
    Same here. Marillion released many live albums to date, but it’s "All One Tonight" (Live at Royal Albert Hall) DVD / video that is their best live material, in my humble opinion. A really impressive blend of wonderful music and an enchanting visual experience with lightshow and projections.

The eons are closing
    Interesting. I think "Anorak in the UK" is by far their worst-sounding live release. Way too compressed and clipped.
    Made Again is three different shows over three tours and there are audible differences in energy and sonics btwn the shows IMO.

Any FRC show from these three tours are better than the official release.

Anorak at least is from the same leg on three consecutive nights, lending a better overall feel (loudness wars notwithstanding).

Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Lucy (Ian's wife and their manager) mentioned that it was more upbeat 'from the band's perspective' on her Friday questions live stream this week. So probably not euphoric dance numbers then...

they have been posting regular videos on Youtube the last few months, which is refreshing. The new album I wouldn't expect until next year sometime, but they already have some dates lined up in November which is encouraging.

Quote Originally Posted by DrGoon View Post
    Lucy (Ian's wife and their manager)
    I knew she was their manager but had no idea that she's Ian's wife. Makes sense that he's their financial guy, then.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I knew she was their manager but had no idea that she's Ian's wife. Makes sense that he's their financial guy, then.
    He was the financial guy long before he and Lucy were married. Apparently, he’s the responsible one.

It was news to me too, and a tad surprising.