Thread: Science fiction movie about vegetation going wild

Science fiction movie about vegetation going wild

Looking for the name for a science fiction film from the 1990's or 2000's about a group of scientists that travel in time and accidentally bring back a small piece of dirt in the sole of one's shoe, a particle that alters the balance of nature and produces a catastrophic and out of control growth of vegetation on earth, swallowing everything gradually. It's not Day of the Triffids, though, and it includes space/time travel.

A Distant Sound Of Thunder. This is the rather poor Peter Hyams directed version of Ray Bradbury famous short story. It revolves around the 'butterfly effect' principle, if you went back in time and accidentally killed a butterfly, the knock on effect of such a small event could disrupt the whole ecosystem and alter the future drastically.

There was a far superior TV version of this from one of the old anthology shows, but dammed if I can remember which one.

^ Not thinking of the original Star Trek, where the woman's life is saved, resulting in her leading a pacifist movement that delays US entry into World War Ii, allowing Germany to finish it's experiments with heavy water..?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ Not thinking of the original Star Trek, where the woman's life is saved, resulting in her leading a pacifist movement that delays US entry into World War Ii, allowing Germany to finish it's experiments with heavy water..?
    City On The Edge Of Forever, and no, that was written by Harlan Ellison, though he apparently was really upset about the changes Roddenberry made to the script.

Thanks. I remember liking the movie, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    A Distant Sound Of Thunder. This is the rather poor Peter Hyams directed version of Ray Bradbury famous short story. It revolves around the 'butterfly effect' principle, if you went back in time and accidentally killed a butterfly, the knock on effect of such a small event could disrupt the whole ecosystem and alter the future drastically.

There was a far superior TV version of this from one of the old anthology shows, but dammed if I can remember which one.
    Thanks. I remember liking the movie.

i remember a movie with this plot, a company takes tourists back to prehistoric times.
    one of the tourist steps on a butterfly and changes the course of history.
    after they return, there are 'temporal' waves that keep changing NYC into a primevil forest.
    can't think of the name.... does this sound familiar?

ok i looked it up... A Sound Of Thunder, right!. good movie.
    Last edited by BravadoNJ; 02-20-2021 at 08:35 AM.

I was initially picturing the movie Habitat with Alice Krige, but that movie has nothing to do with Time Travel.

Matango/ Attack of the Mushroom People? Japanese film, sort of SF, sort of horror.

Actually, the TV version I was thinking of is a segment of the Ray Bradbury Anthology series.

It's available on YouTube, but the quality is pretty ropey.

The Return of the Giant Hogweed???

"Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

The Simpsons - Treehouse of Horror V

"Time and Punishment"

Homer breaks the toaster after getting his hand stuck in it twice. While trying to fix it, he accidentally turns it into a time machine. While testing the toaster, he transports himself to prehistoric times, where he remembers Grampa Simpson's advice to be careful not to change anything should one travel back in time. Homer fails to heed this and swats a mosquito, turning the present into a dystopia where Ned Flanders rules the world.

Homer time-travels again to set things right, but he accidentally kills a walking fish. Returning to the present, he finds Bart and Lisa are giants and narrowly avoids being crushed by them. Homer sneezes during his next trip and infects a Tyrannosaurus with the common cold, which causes the dinosaurs' extinction. At first he is pleased when he returns to the present — the Simpsons are now extremely wealthy and about to drive their Lexus to Patty and Selma's funeral — but he is horrified to find no one knows what donuts are. He flees this reality, where donuts soon start raining from the sky.

In another realm, Groundskeeper Willie tries to help Homer but is again struck in the back with an axe by Maggie. On his next trip back, Homer destroys everything in sight. He arrives in a present where everything appears normal. When he finds the rest of his family eating a meal with amphibian tongues, he decides this reality is "close enough".
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    I was initially picturing the movie Habitat with Alice Krige, but that movie has nothing to do with Time Travel.
    Based on the title of this thread I was thinking of Silent Running, but that movie is of course a lot older and has also nothing to do with traveling through time.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Based on the title of this thread I was thinking of Silent Running, but that movie is of course a lot older and has also nothing to do with traveling through time.
    ANd it's also not about "vegetation running wild".