Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Uriah Heep: High And Mighty

I said 'after' the 'Wonderworld' album and specified that the US lost interest- not anywhere else. Not sure I could have put it any clearer.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I said 'after' the 'Wonderworld' album and specified that the US lost interest- not anywhere else. Not sure I could have put it any clearer.
    Again disagree, they where still an headline act in the USA, playing the same venues as other msjor acts on the 'Return to Fantasy' tour. They maintained their 'pulling' power as a live act & there's no evidence that it waned until they toured 'High & Mighty'.

The RtF tour was their most successful grossing tour. Playing to over a milliion people & a fair chunk of that was on the USA leg. No evidence at all that the USA had lost interest!
    Last edited by Rufus; 08-14-2014 at 03:13 PM.

I think we're talking at cross-purposes here...I'm thinking of US album sales rather than live concerts after 'Wonderworld', though I could definitely have expressed that better. They kept their status as a concert draw, yes. The next album to attract good sales in the US was 'Abominog'...they were touring America heavily at that time as a support act for various groups, weren't they?

'Sweet Freedom' has its moments like 'Stealin' and the title track...I've always felt 'If I Had The Time' was very underrated, 'Circus' came across well in that 'Acoustically Driven' project. But the rest hasn't stuck with me. I'm aware that my fondness for at least the first side of 'High and Mighty' puts me in a minority among Heep fans!

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I think we're talking at cross-purposes here...I'm thinking of US album sales rather than live concerts after 'Wonderworld', though I could definitely have expressed that better. They kept their status as a concert draw, yes. The next album to attract good sales in the US was 'Abominog'...they were touring America heavily at that time as a support act for various groups, weren't they?

'Sweet Freedom' has its moments like 'Stealin' and the title track...I've always felt 'If I Had The Time' was very underrated, 'Circus' came across well in that 'Acoustically Driven' project. But the rest hasn't stuck with me. I'm aware that my fondness for at least the first side of 'High and Mighty' puts me in a minority among Heep fans!
    Agree, though I think the first side of High & Mighty is generally considered to be quality by most Heepsters, the second side not so. I personally would put 'Weep in Silence' in the 'classic Heep' category & Byron's vocals hit all the right emotions. Love the extended version on the remaster!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Again disagree, they where still an headline act in the USA, playing the same venues as other msjor acts on the 'Return to Fantasy' tour. They maintained their 'pulling' power as a live act & there's no evidence that it waned until they toured 'High & Mighty'.

The RtF tour was their most successful grossing tour. Playing to over a milliion people & a fair chunk of that was on the USA leg. No evidence at all that the USA had lost interest!
    RTF was a huge tour, but the album sales were sliding considerably in North America, although that album was their biggest seller in the UK, possibly due to Wetton's high profile when he joined.
    High & Mighty was 'toured' before the album came out in North America, and not long after the RTF tour, not to mention between 75 + 76 -- you had 2 albums, a Best Of overseas, and 2 solo albums! H&M also did not get a global single release, and from what i can tell - no singles at all in North America. Has anyone ever seen a promo single from this album in the US? i doubt it. A shame, because i think there was a lot of good tracks on it that wouldve made good single choices.

I don't know...'Can't Keep A Good Band Down' strikes me as the only thing on it which would have attracted the audience that lapped up things like 'Easy Livin' and 'Stealin'. And it's not as good as either IMHO, being a rather forced attempt at a big anthem. Like 'Prima Donna' on the previous album.

I prefer the more reflective, less 'rawk n roll!' tracks on the album. The bridge within 'Midnight' for instance is really special, and the piano/vocals-only 'Confession'.