Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there any future for CDs?

I have every CD of my collection ripped to .wav on my computer and I'm planning to back up all of my data soon.
    NG ~ BC ~ PA

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Gilmour plays on Legend and HoL? I never knew this. At least, I don't THINK I ever knew he played on HoL, but it's hard to imagine that fact evading me all these years. Is it just on the title song? I HAVE seen and heard Gilmour joining Kate for the song on the Secret Policeman's Third Ball though, so maybe I knew. Will have to check out Legend.
    He's all over Running Up That Hill

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Mmmm, no, not in the album/ studio version anyway

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    Gilmour plays on "Rocket's Tail" and "Love and Anger" from "The Sensual World".
    One thing is for sure, the sheep is not a creature of the air.
    https://sproingg.bandcamp.com/

There may be a different reason for buying CDs -my 13yr old grandaughter asked for a CD player and some CDs for Christmas. Not for any reasons of nostalgia, but that she likes to lsiten to music as she drops off to sleep, but wanted it to stop ata finite point -she used to listen to the radio but didn't like the fact that it was still chattering away in the morning! I gues the saem applies to Spotify -it will keep playing the 'you may also like' lists after the album you selected has finished.

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    Well shoot, I stand corrected! I mistakenly assumed that was him on the studio version as well and not just the live version. Thanks clarifying!
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by alanterrill View Post
    she used to listen to the radio but didn't like the fact that it was still chattering away in the morning! I gues the saem applies to Spotify -it will keep playing the 'you may also like' lists after the album you selected has finished.
    iPhone has a timer which you can set with "Stop Playing" after a finite amount of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Czyszy View Post
    I have every CD of my collection ripped to .wav on my computer and I'm planning to back up all of my data soon.
    I have most of my CDs ripped to mp3s. Just the albums that iTunes don't have the track information from I haven't ripped. They might end on my mp3-player.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I have most of my CDs ripped to mp3s. Just the albums that iTunes don't have the track information from I haven't ripped. They might end on my mp3-player.
    There's a free app called Mp3Tag that I've found particularly useful for fixing/updating tags from various online sources: https://www.mp3tag.de/en/

In case it's helpful
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXymphonia View Post
    iPhone has a timer which you can set with "Stop Playing" after a finite amount of time.
    In Media Jukebox you can create a playlist which will play random selections from your library and specify a total duration, so it can play (for example) an hour's worth of music and then stop.
    What we feel we have to solve is why the dregs have not dissolved.

Quote Originally Posted by Batchman View Post
    In Media Jukebox you can create a playlist which will play random selections from your library and specify a total duration, so it can play (for example) an hour's worth of music and then stop.
    I won't spoil her fun by telling her this. I think the sensation of having an object with a cover and the lyrics printed on it is novel and appealing to her.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Used CDs are often the best deal around, cheaper than downloads and you still get the physical media. For the new releases that I end up purchasing my CD to download ratio is about 50/50.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Oops, yeah, I meant Running Up That Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Oops, yeah, I meant Running Up That Hill.
    And apparently I was wrong, so don't worry too much about it

From what I saw in the USA in the 90s the "default" price of an album on a new/sealed CD (w/o necessarily being a newly released album) in stores was around $15 (even though you could find some limited selection for $7.99 etc in bins etc in Tower Records etc) , and I think this $15 price decreased in the new century such as in online CD sales. Could someone point out what the same is for a vinyl record nowadays (that is, the "default" or average price in the USA now)? I went to Amazon's main vinyl page to see if I can see the answer there but the prices varied there wildly from liw $20s to high $30s. Or is it not as easy to see anymore (unlike seeing that $15 was the number for CDs in the 90s)? What was it around the start of the new century? I think it was $25?

How is it that youtube (still) has so many albums for people to listen to free-of-charge? Special deal with so many record companies? I doubt it, it doesn't make sense to me that the record companies wouldn't mind all of it being free.

Quote Originally Posted by abc123 View Post
    From what I saw in the USA in the 90s the "default" price of an album on a new/sealed CD (w/o necessarily being a newly released album) in stores was around $15 (even though you could find some limited selection for $7.99 etc in bins etc in Tower Records etc) , and I think this $15 price decreased in the new century such as in online CD sales. Could someone point out what the same is for a vinyl record nowadays (that is, the "default" or average price in the USA now)? I went to Amazon's main vinyl page to see if I can see the answer there but the prices varied there wildly from liw $20s to high $30s. Or is it not as easy to see anymore (unlike seeing that $15 was the number for CDs in the 90s)? What was it around the start of the new century? I think it was $25?

How is it that youtube (still) has so many albums for people to listen to free-of-charge? Special deal with so many record companies? I doubt it, it doesn't make sense to me that the record companies wouldn't mind all of it being free.
    I suppose they pay the recordcompanies. Most YouTube-videos have advertisements added, often in the middle of a song, unless you want to pay YouTube.

. Most YouTube-videos have advertisements added, often in the middle of a song, unless you want to pay YouTube.
    Thank god somebody invented ad blockers. I could not stand all the ads that youtube throws in there.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Thank god somebody invented ad blockers. I could not stand all the ads that youtube throws in there.

Neil
    Ads in YouTube are probably the most annoying.

Neil
    Indeed. Without ad blockers, I would not look at half the YT videos that I do.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Ads in YouTube are probably the most annoying.
    Well AB on Firefox works wonders on YT (from home (Nl & Bel)

However, this is not quite as effective on Edge

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Indeed. Without ad blockers, I would not look at half the YT videos that I do.
    I've recently discovered how bad this plague has grown in the NL (but I suspect this us globe-wise) without those ad filters, though.
    Frightening & painful.
    Last edited by Trane; 01-23-2024 at 09:53 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Well AB on Firefox works wonders on YT (from home (Nl & Bel)

However, this is not quite as effective on Edge

I've recently discovered how bad this has grown without those ad filters, though.
    Frightening & painful.
    This is why Google/YouTube has been cracking down on users who use ad blockers, threatening to cut them off unless they disable their ad blocker or pay for YouTube Premium (now around $15 US).

The best ad blocker for countering this is now uBlock Origin. (AdBlock Plus used to work well but isn't effective against this anymore.)
    What we feel we have to solve is why the dregs have not dissolved.

Quote Originally Posted by Batchman View Post
    This is why Google/YouTube has been cracking down on users who use ad blockers, threatening to cut them off unless they disable their ad blocker or pay for YouTube Premium (now around $15 US).

The best ad blocker for countering this is now uBlock Origin. (AdBlock Plus used to work well but isn't effective against this anymore.)
    I also am using the Brave browser right now, which, as far as I know, masks your computer id/location. Youtube can crack down all they want, but I honestly don't think that I could even bear watching youtube/using facebook without an ad blocker. And they've done it to themselves, by throwing insane amounts of ads on everything. It's obscene, really.

Neil

I also am using the Brave browser right now, which, as far as I know, masks your computer id/location. Youtube can crack down all they want, but I honestly don't think that I could even bear watching youtube/using facebook without an ad blocker. And they've done it to themselves, by throwing insane amounts of ads on everything. It's obscene, really.

Neil
    Well, I'm sorry, to tell you, but Facebook and Youtube and others want to earn money. If they can't get it directly, they try it in another way, by advertisements and selling your data. There is no such thing as a free lunch. So if advertisements are blocked, they will at some point try to block this.

Agreed; I would certainly deem a lot of YT videos low-priority if I was forced to start watching ads in the middle of them. As for Facebook, I use the Fluffbusting (Facebook Purity) plug-in, which is highly recommended if you use a PC browser (I don't think there is a phone version). The amount of garbage/nonsense that I never even see is astounding, really. You can really tailor it to your specific tastes.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Well, I'm sorry, to tell you, but Facebook and Youtube and others want to earn money.

Of course they do, but it's not about that. It's about them wanting to earn INSANE amounts of money. Heaven help, if they only earned 700 million in the last quarter, as opposed to 1.2 billion in the previous one. They have just gone way overboard, is my point.

Neil