Thread: Soft Machine 1 and 2 - Which Edition Is Best?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Soft Machine 1 and 2 - Which Edition Is Best?

I need to get Soft Machine 1 and 2, and there are a few different editions from which to choose. Anyone have advice on the best sounding one(s)? Bonus material could also be a factor (or not).

Also, how is that Original Album Classics set of five albums on 5 CDs?

I grew up on the twofer from the 90's and it never sounded good to me. I consulted with a fellow audiophile / prog nerd who suggested the Sundazed remasters from 2012. They are undoubtedly an improvement over the twofer, but still sound very much of their time.

http://www.amazon.com/Soft-Machine/d...chine+sundazed

http://www.amazon.com/Two-Soft-Machi...chine+sundazed

I haven't heard every version available, but these seem to be recognized as the best.

For me the new editions did not improve the twofers

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    For me the new editions did not improve the twofers
    Why not ?

Actually I've never heard the two on CD, but there is huge differences on vinyl. A friend of mine has a US print that is superior to mine (dutsch I think).

The old One-Way discs for 1 and 2 sound great, IMO. The remasters definitely sound worse. There's some Japanese issues out there that I can't comment on. Given the time that these albums were recorded, I can't imagine anybody having heard the One-Way CDs and expecting that they could be improved upon.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    The One-Way discs for 1 and 2 sound great, IMO. The remasters definitely sound worse. There's some Japanese issues out there that I can't comment on. Given the time that these albums were recorded, I can't imagine anybody having heard the One-Way CDs and expecting that they could be improved upon.
    The One Ways match the Big Beat twofer, so probably doesn't make much sense to pay for two when you can get both on one disc for like $10-$15. That Big Beat version seems to still be in print.

My copy on Big Beat sounds great but a friend told me that his was mastered too hot. It's possible that they redid it with volume raised and I have an earlier pressing, or that he is just more sensitive to this aspect.

Sundazed is a great label. I would like to check their versions out at some point.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Rather than start a separate thread for this, here's another similar question:

Which is the preferred Olias of Sunhillow? Not a Japanese edition - so the choice seems to be between Atlantic and Wounded Bird?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Rather than start a separate thread for this, here's another similar question:

Which is the preferred Olias of Sunhillow? Not a Japanese edition - so the choice seems to be between Atlantic and Wounded Bird?
    The Japanese and German Atlantic are the same. I believe the Wounded Bird is also the same as these. This is a good mastering but a bit too treble heavy compared to the LP.