Page 28 of 179 FirstFirst ... 182425262728293031323878128 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you currently reading?

S by JJ Abrams and Dough Dorst:

Nice, although it's form above story for me.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    S by JJ Abrams and Dough Dorst:

Nice, although it's form above story for me.

Hadn't heard of that one - looks really interesting.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Halfway through "Possibilities" by Herbie Hancock, and so far ,it's great.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Halfway through "Possibilities" by Herbie Hancock, and so far ,it's great.
    Yeah, I really liked it! But my favorite part of the book was the first half, especially the stuff about the Miles Quintet. Man he led a charmed life! Not that he didn't deserve to; the guy is a musical genius.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Yeah, I really liked it! But my favorite part of the book was the first half, especially the stuff about the Miles Quintet. Man he led a charmed life! Not that he didn't deserve to; the guy is a musical genius.
    The Mwandishi period was great also.

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Just finished "So Anyway".. John Cleese.. very interesting read.. so many stories / accounts I've heard / read / seen etc. over the years.. nice to have it first hand from the man himself..
    I am currently reading Michael Pailin's 2nd book of diaries. I want to read Cleeses next to get his perspective.

The Mwandishi period was great also.
    It seemed like it was a real magical experience for him; the kind us musicians dream of having. I have to revisit those albums sometime soon. I just need the right drugs for it.

The three Mwandishi are top shelf Kozmigroove along with Buster Williams-Pinnacle, Eddie Henderson-Realization/Inside Out, and Bennie Maupin- The Jewel and the Lotus and Julian Priester - Love, Love.

No drugs needed , just chant Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!

Michael Robotham: Life Or Death

As far as I know the first book without "Joe" and "Vincent", the main characters of his 9 other books (with a slight exception of "The Night Ferry"). But as the website mentions: they will be back!!

Just finished Hyenas, a Hap and Leonard novella by Joe R. Lansdale. I understand someone made a movie of Lansdale's early Hap and Leonard book, Cold in July. Can't wait to see that.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

The three Mwandishi are top shelf Kozmigroove along with Buster Williams-Pinnacle, Eddie Henderson-Realization/Inside Out, and Bennie Maupin- The Jewel and the Lotus and Julian Priester - Love, Love.

No drugs needed , just chant Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!
    Oh... right! But later in the book, you'll see that chanting that didn't keep Herbie off drugs.

I have "Mwandishi" and "Crossings" and I used to have Eddie Henderson's "Inside Out" on vinyl. Regarding my little comment on drugs; I consider that music to be "psychedelic jazz" and sometimes a bit of inhalable mood enhancement makes it easier to get into that stuff. YMMV.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Cold In July was great. Is Hyenas new? I try to keep up with Lansdale's writing, but I don't recall that title.

Also, if you like Lansdale on film, watch the screen adaptation of Bubba-Ho-Tep. It's not Hap and Leonard, but it does have Bruce Campbell.

Right now I am reading Saint Odd, supposedly the last book in Dean Koontz's Odd Thomas series. I read all the others, to the best of my knowledge. Might as well see how it all ends. Odd believes it is his destiny to die in this one. But the story is told in the first person. Only more reading will tell. I wouldn't reveal the ending, anyway.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Cold In July was great. Is Hyenas new? I try to keep up with Lansdale's writing, but I don't recall that title.

Also, if you like Lansdale on film, watch the screen adaptation of Bubba-Ho-Tep. It's not Hap and Leonard, but it does have Bruce Campbell.

Right now I am reading Saint Odd, supposedly the last book in Dean Koontz's Odd Thomas series. I read all the others, to the best of my knowledge. Might as well see how it all ends. Odd believes it is his destiny to die in this one. But the story is told in the first person. Only more reading will tell. I wouldn't reveal the ending, anyway.
    I'm the same way with Joe his ownself. Just love his stuff. Hyenas came out in 2011, published in a sold-out, limited run by Subterranean Press. I had no idea it was out myself until I saw it at the Boston Public Library last week. I also found his The Ape Man's Brother, which came out recently, too, on Subterranean. He's a bear to keep up with.

I have a DVD of Bubba Ho-Tep. Great stuff. Elvis impersonating an Elvis impersonator so he can hunt mummies. Just brilliant stuff.
    Lou

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    As much as I enjoyed the first book, I found the second one (Forever Odd?) to be fairly disappointing and didn't feel compelled to continue on with the series.

My favorite Koontz book so far is "Watchers."

(Haven't started reading it yet, but found it recently in a bookstore): Will Romano: "Prog Rock FAQ : all that's left to know about rock's most progressive music"

No. 4 in Gail Carragher's Parasol Protectorate steampunk series.

Tietam Brown by Mick Foley. Who knew this former pro-wrestler could write so well. I read that he wrote the whole thing long hand. Kayfabe? I hope not.
    Lou

Just plowed through John Sandford's latest Davenport offering, Gathering Prey - Lucas vs. The Insane Clown Posse! (no, not really, just some Juggalos)
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Just finished the final Terry Pratchett Discworld book, Steam, very good, up to the usual standards.

Just starting Richard K Morgan - The Dark Defiles (book 3 & the final chapter of A Land Fit For Heroes series)
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Recently, I discovered the Hard Case Crime series, which I guess has been ongoing for several years. I've read several including the two in the series by Stephen King. I've read a couple old pulp reissues by Lawrence Block, and I'm half way through Choke Hold by Christa Faust. Must say it was the covers that attracted me. The scantily clad babes holding guns. They look like the books I remember seeing for sale in the bus terminal when I was little. ("Get away from there, Louie!") Now I've got a pile of these sordid crime novels.
    Lou

My curriculum team at school decided to replace our old summer reading books with some young adult novels in hopes that the kids will read and enjoy them.

I'm currently reading one of them, Legend by Marie Lu. It's awful. If this is representative of the pap that is common in novels like Divergent and Hunger Games then no one wonder kids get confused when they have to read real literature. Jeez.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I'm reading documents provided by a teacher for her Performance Appraisal. After that I have to read report cards in June and then I retire and hopefully never have to read anything academic ever again in my life. I'll try to learn to read music then.

Gryphs, after you retire, and you ever feel like reading some more documents for a Performance Appraisal, just let me know and I'll send them along. I'm sure the test I write for Marie Lu's Legend will be, um, legendary. (If it makes you guys feel any better about the teaching of literature in high school, I've designed a Slaughterhouse-Five unit from scratch for my kids. We start this week after the AP test.)
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    I've designed a Slaughterhouse-Five unit from scratch for my kids.
    That's fantastic that you don't use "canned" units. I remember designing a combined literacy + music unit around Jesus Christ Superstar. The kids always loved it but all it took was after 3 year one parent to consider it blasphemous and I never did it again.

When I retire, I think I'll take your word on the unit being good Honestly, being a principal has taken any joy out of reading.
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by gryphs also View Post
    Honestly, being a principal has taken any joy out of reading.
    When you retire, Tony, you'll get the joy back. You'll be able to read whatever you want. Over thirty years ago when I entered the publishing business, I thought I'd never want to read again, being around the written word all day. Not so, I wanted to read more and more; and if I start something that's not holding my interest, I stop and go on to something else. Just don't become one of those smelly old guys that hang around the library stinking up the place.
    Lou