Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED CD : Morglbl : Jazz For The Deaf

FEATURED CD : Morglbl : Jazz For The Deaf

Despite the fact that I am NOT a jazz fan, this was no.3 in my list of best albums of 2009.

Per 2 reviews at Sea Of Tranquility

Ahh, those silly French. I still don't even know how to pronounce the name of this band correctly, but Morglbl (yes, that is the correct spelling) are one hell of a talented trio! Their latest CD, Jazz For The Deaf (The Laser's Edge Records) is a 12 track CD full of musical chops and a lot of goofy, off beat fun.

Morglbl features the talents of guitarist Christophe Godin, bassist Ivan Rougny and new drummer Aurelien Ouzoulias, and the all instrumental Jazz For The Deaf will totally find a home with fans of Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, King's X, Frank Zappa and Primus. Guitarist Christophe Godin has the ability to channel a Vai or a Holdsworth in songs while never actual stealing from them. His linear phasing is uncanny but it never feels like he's copying anyone, which is a hard feat to pull off. Morglbl's 4th CD, Jazz For The Deaf is quite a heavier release than their previous CD's and new hard hitting drummer, Aurelien Ouzoulias is a large reason for this. Part Fusion, part Metal, Morglbl have a killer CD here and finding a bad track among this lot is a hard thing to do. Highlight tracks like "Borderline", "Jazz For Deaf People" and "Hell's Ball's" all showcase a great sense of humor as well as technical brilliance. Quirky changes and break downs are simply a lot of fun to listen to and actually made me smile and laugh out loud at times. These guys are just an awesome band.

The strange name aside, Morglbl are a fun band to listen to and the combination of humor and musical wizardry is brilliant. Guitarist Christophe Godin is a stellar player and for shred guitar fans out there, he IS a player to check out. You won't be disappointed. For fans of American bands like Dub Trio and Bolt, Morglbl have that same offbeat wackiness with an even a higher level of superb musicianship. Jazz For The Deaf is a great, fun record that you will find yourself spinning over and over. I know that I did. Great guitar tone, great playing and a nice clean production, no clunkers on this one. This is a winner! I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Reviewer: Butch Jones
    Score: 5 / 5

Imagine taking the eccentric sounding band Primus and an accomplished guitar shredder such as Steve Vai or Joe Satriani, and locking them together in a room to see what kind of mad experiments they could conjure up. This might give you an idea of the template that French instrumental trio Mörglbl is working off of as they unleash their latest effort Jazz For The Deaf. While I generally find most instrumental records of this nature tend to lean more towards lengthy excursions of guitar wankery I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised with the results here. The group has put together a solid album that, while it does feature a heaping display of musical chops, it more importantly also has well constructed songs designed to keep the listener engaged for the full hour long ride.

Make no mistake about it guitarist Christophe Godin is the main focal point here as his blazingly articulate solos on "Myspacebook", The Bleach Boy" and "Jazz For Deaf People" make up a large portion of the band's sound. However, that being said the funky and muscular rhythm section of bassist Ivan Rougny and drummer Aurélian Ouzoulias should not be overlooked as their meaty backbone provides the solid foundation necessary for Godin's extended forays. The duo isn't content with simply backing him up as they are focused on accompanying him for the ride, making Jazz For The Deaf a true team effort in every sense of the word. The ever changing atmospherics on songs like "The Monster Within Me", "Stoner de Brest" and "Hell's Balls", not to mention the subtle doses of humor injected into some of these song titles, make for serious music but with a with pleasantly lighthearted feel to it as well.

If you've never heard of these guys but enjoy instrumental music with stunning musicianship then I'd have to say Jazz For The Deaf is really no-brainer. You need to add this one to your collection.

(also reviewed for www.classicrockrevisited.com)

Reviewer: Ryan Sparks
    Score: 4.5 / 5
    http://www.seaoftranquility.org/revi...ontent&id=8116

Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards,

Duncan

Christophe Godin is the guitarist channeling Hendrix better than anyone else imo.

There, I said it. I feel much better now.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Fantabulous band.
    Chad

Great band, love this album. Love all their albums, actually.

I think after getting this, I prefer them live than on CD. Not that it is a bad album, but their live show is that good.

This one shows the drummer's creative "voice" - he's a monster, even on a 4 piece kit.

I like the album, but still don't think these guys have really captured the energy of their live set on a studio album yet.

Steve Sly

Completely agree w/other Steve that a studio is NOT where they shine.

They played in Madison during the summer of 2011 at an outdoor neighborhood festival where my son, myself and maybe 3 or 4 other people knew who they were going in. They played to about 400 people and just about sold out their merch when they were done.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Love this band, and agree about how great they are live. But the studio work is still really great, and I'd rank "Jazz For the Deaf" as their best, most cohesive work. And the current album is nearly as great, so its not as if they are past their creative peak or anything close. I knew almost nothing about their music until I saw them at Nearfest, and became an instant fan of their fun brand of hard rocking, fusion influenced instrumental music. If you ever have the chance to catch them live, please make sure to go. Thankfully I saw them two more times after Nearfest, and would go in a heartbeat again if given the chance.

Great stuff.

These guys are amazing. Great album!
    "Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
    -Frank Zappa

I thought these guys were outstanding at NF. Lots of fun.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by TheLongshot View Post
    I think after getting this, I prefer them live than on CD. Not that it is a bad album, but their live show is that good.
    +1

Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

I spin this every couple weeks.

The title is JAZZ for the deaf but the music is not jazz. That is not important - its one of my fave albums.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I spin this every couple weeks.

The title is JAZZ for the deaf but the music is not jazz. That is not important - its one of my fave albums.
    I certainly hear fusion elements in their music, so jazz is at least somewhere in the mix. Of course I could imagine someone who doesn't like jazz still really liking them. OK, not liking jazz at all is just messed up, have to say it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    ...I could imagine someone who doesn't like jazz still really liking them..
    That's me.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    ...OK, not liking jazz at all is just messed up, have to say it.
    God, I really hate jaz-- Oh, wait, wrong thread!

I did not contribute to that 'hate jazz' thread, but in general, I am NOT a fan of that genre. Yet I enjoyed this record.
    Regards,

Duncan

These guys kill! I have all their CD's. Wish they'd come to the West Coast someday.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    I did not contribute to that 'hate jazz' thread, but in general, I am NOT a fan of that genre. Yet I enjoyed this record.
    Is jazz a genre?
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Quote Originally Posted by simon moon View Post
    These guys kill! I have all their CD's. Wish they'd come to the West Coast someday.

Is jazz a genre?
    Of course, a pretty major one too with nearly a century worth of music. Yeah, it qualifies as a genre. But back to Morglbl, I love the fact that they have a sense of humor, but not to the point of being a detriment to the music. They take music very seriously, but not themselves.

Bought this based on a thread here awhile back. Great stuff, love the guitarist

Great album and an excellent live band is Morglbl!

I was sold on them only after seeing them live, and then I was *way* sold... all of us owe Chad H. a huge debt of gratitude.
    Jazz for the Deaf is indeed their most cohesive, well composed, and hard-rocking release. I usually jam out in the car to this, but I will need to put this on the big stereo soon.

Yup, thank you Chad! I doubt there was any way I would have discovered them if they were not booked for Nearfest.

I'm totally biased and don't mind admitting it. Morglbl is my favorite band ever.

Hi everybody the french Jazz-Prog band MÖRGLBL will be touring the USA next month, here are the tour dates.

Friday, August 30 Florence, SC Apple Annie's
    Saturday, August 31 Chapel Hill, NC Local 506 with Hephystus
    Sunday, September 1st Raleigh, NC The Pour House Music Hall
    Wednesday, September 4 Atlanta, GA Prog Power USA pre-show
    Thursday, September 5 Atlanta, GA Atlanta Institute of Music (closed show for staff and students)
    Friday, September 6 Nashville, TN Douglas Corner with Roy Vogt
    Monday, September 9 Madison, WI High Noon Saloon with Neil Zaza
    Tuesday, September 10 Chicago, IL Reggie's (Music Joint) with Neil Zaza
    Thursday, September 12 Indianapolis, IN Birdy's with Neil Zaza
    Friday, September 13 Columbus, OH Rumba Café with Neil Zaza
    Saturday, September 14 Charleston, WV Empty Glass with Neil Zaza
    Sunday, September 15 Greenwood, IN Ronald McDonald House Charity event
    Monday, September 16 Cleveland, OH Beachland Tavern with Gravity and Recess
    Tuesday, September 17 Philadelphia, PA North Star Bar with Thank You Scientist
    Wednesday, September 18 Kingston, NY BSP Lounge with Dead Empires and Thank You Scientist
    Thursday, September 19 Dunellen, NJ NJ Proghouse http://www.njproghouse.com
    Friday, September 20 Teaneck, NJ Mexicali Live with Thank You Scientist
    Saturday, September 21 Baltimore, MD Orion Studios

More infos:
    www.bluemouthpromo.com
    www.morglbl.net
    www.facebook.com/pages/Mörglbl/229471253757086

All FB events for the tour are below if you want to join and share
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mörgl...7086&sk=events

NJ Proghouse gig is tomorrow, and I have my ticket! OK, it's an email receipt, but close enough! Can't wait, this will be my 4th time seeing them.