Thread: Recent Neo Prog Discovery - Different Light

Recent Neo Prog Discovery - Different Light

Apparently these guys out of Prague, CZ have been around since 1996 in one form or another, but I just discovered them with the release of their brand new album "Binary Suns Part 1". Band is called Different Light. I suppose they would fit in the neo category? Great melodies, hooks and harmonies - they remind me a bit of Moon Safari, Supertramp or even some Spock's Beard.

This is their bandcamp site: https://progressivegears.bandcamp.co...ry-suns-part-1

Track lengths on the album range from 3:45 to their epic at 21:31.

This kicks off the album and is one of my favorites and is pretty representative. Dutch Progressive Rock Page reviewed this album and had this to say about this song: "The grandeur opening sounds of Amphibians immediately ignites a bright internal beam of sunshine within me through its many divine AOR touches. Trevor Tabone's deliciously tuneful and melodic vocals comprises a lovely engaging over-familiar pop sweetness which works wonders within the neo progressive character of the song. The superb melancholic flow, careful arrangements and intricate classical piano-nature of the composition is furthermore surrounded by smooth background harmonies and once the goose-bump inducing Neal Schon inspired guitar solo ends, Different Light gently invite me, similar to Mystery's previous engagement, to come and sail away into a sun drenched paradise."

This is their epic on the album and one that I really enjoy. Very sweet vocals and catchy hooks scattered throughout.

Spectres and Permanent Apparitions (21:31)
    a) Ataraxia
    b) Two Shows
    c) Small Mercies
    d) Hand Of Providence
    e) BarBrera
    f) Synestesia
    g) Midas Gold

I only have their debut, I think, when they were operating from Malta.

Based on the few number of responses to this thread, this must be one of those bands that is still a well-kept secret. I heard a few songs from a Different Light on one of the online prog streaming sites a few nights ago and really enjoyed their music. I haven't downloaded the entire CD yet, but its on my list.

Old man of prog
    I bought the download on bandcamp based on Dan's recommendation and first listen was quite nice. Nothing earth shattering here but competitive nonetheless.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    It sounds decent to me.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Glad a few of you are digging it also. I realize they aren't breaking new ground here, but it definitely hits a sweet spot for me. Pretty nice listen. I read up on them and they are mainly a studio band, but they did open for Nick Mason when he came to their part of their world recently.

This is nice, I like it. I already have their first one but I didn't know this was available, thanks Dan

Banned
    I bought "The Burden Of Paradise" last year and liked it right away. It's more substantive than some of the above comments indicate, kind of a mixture of classic prog and somewhat heavier neo prog influences. Long suites throughout the 66+ minutes running time. Based on the strong early reviews of their new one ("Binary Suns"), I have definitely put that one at the top of my ordering list. With all the personnel changes they have experienced, they appear to be growing more progressive (in the classic sense) as they evolve with time. Recommended.