Thread: Paul Korda, RIP

Paul Korda, RIP

Singer'songwriter Paul Korda passed away three days ago in England, as informed by his son on his Facebook account. Among other things, he recorded several solo albums in the seventies, sang in Allan Holdsworth Metal Fatigue, and collaborated and wrote songs for Roger Daltrey and PP Arnold, among others. He was also an actor and appeared, brieflly, in Spinal Tap and other movies and TV series, and formed different bands. One of the most beautiful things he wrote was High in the Morning, recorded by Rare Bird on their Somebody's Watching album. Korda played percussion on that track.
    Last edited by yoyiceu; 03-13-2020 at 07:52 AM.

RIP - I only know him from Allan Holdsworth - Metal Fatigue

He wrote the song "Seagull (The West Coast Oil Tragedy)" for Love Sculpture and co-sang with Elkie Brooks in the brass-rock band Dada. They recorded one album in 1970 before he left. His replacement, Robert Palmer (ex-Alan Bown Set), heralded a name-change to Vinegar Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Agreed - always loved this song and his vocals. Really didn't know too much of his career besides this.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    He did also some backing-vocals on Road Games.

Here's another tune on which Holdsworth and Korda can be heard together. It's from The Early Years, a download only (I believe I had some short email-contact with Paul about a CD-release):

Living In The Sky:

More albums in Korda's discography: https://www.paulkorda.com/

That Dada-album GeneTull wrote about was rereleased some years ago by Esoteric Recordings.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    He did also some backing-vocals on Road Games.

Here's another tune on which Holdsworth and Korda can be heard together. It's from The Early Years, a download only (I believe I had some short email-contact with Paul about a CD-release):

Living In The Sky:

More albums in Korda's discography: https://www.paulkorda.com/

That Dada-album GeneTull wrote about was rereleased some years ago by Esoteric Recordings.
    Dada was an early version of Vinegar Joe, where Robert Palmer replaced Korda as co lead singer with Elkie Brooks.
    K

Two interesting items from his Wikipedia article, which show he had strong ties with Brand X...
    "Korda's keyboard player David Kaffinetti (ex Rare Bird) and drummer R.J. Parnell (Aromic Rooster) were chosen as band members for Rob Reiner's cult classic This Is Spinal Tap, which led to Korda making a brief appearance as a rockstar/partygoer in the film.

In the early 1980s, Korda opened the Central Jam Night, during which musicians such as Phil Collins and Mitch Mitchell joined him onstage. He performed with guitarists John Goodsall and Mike Miller, keyboardist J. Peter Robinson, drummers Steve Chapman, Ric Parnell and keyboardists David Kaf, Merry Stewart and bass player Lou Castro, and percussionist Malando Gassama.
    (Of course, Collins, Goodsall and Robinson were founding members of Brand X. I'm assuming that this was from when Korda was living in LA).