Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Prog Sleeve Illustrators

Quote Originally Posted by jowallan lid View Post
    I recently found a vinyl copy of "Attic Thoughts" by Bo Hansson, and the cover art blew me away! The artist is Jan Ternald.
    Yes, that one has great cover art. I have it and still know where I bought it.

How about Francesca Sundsten (RIP) and P.J. Crook who both designed album covers for King Crimson and KC Related works.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Mentioning Roger Dean is often followed by mentioning Rodney Matthews, but in the same vein Patrick Woodroffe should also be remembered.
    Like most people here, I am a big fan of Roger Dean's cover art and that should naturally lead to liking Rodney Matthews' stuff for Magnum etc but it doesn't and I can't figure out why.
    BBTPatron

Mentioning Roger Dean is often followed by mentioning Rodney Matthews, but in the same vein Patrick Woodroffe should also be remembered.
    Oh, yes. And how about that time he painted Planet of the Budgies, for Budgie's Bandolier?

Let us not forget Tony Roberts!

Lets not forget good ol Geoff Mann. For me a lot more interesting then boring fantasy art.

https://images.app.goo.gl/2gNypsbrGsZ5NATf7

https://images.app.goo.gl/vbDXMDYZdfriL6gv7

Ray Smith! Even if just for those first three (ICONIC) Henry Cow covers!

And while we're at it, William Neal and Philip Travers.

Ed Unitsky!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    How about Helmut Wenske, who did several covers for Nektar?
    I believe Wenske was the staff artist with Bacillus. He did covers for Omega (Hall of Floaters in the Sky, my copy advertised a free poster giveaway!) as well, and I think he also did the Dschinn cover (which is a cool Dali-alike, a shame the album really bites it).

Other cool Krautrock cover artists that never get their due: Patrick van Spreckelsen and Gil Funccius.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I believe Wenske was the staff artist with Bacillus. He did covers for Omega (Hall of Floaters in the Sky, my copy advertised a free poster giveaway!) as well, and I think he also did the Dschinn cover (which is a cool Dali-alike, a shame the album really bites it).

Other cool Krautrock cover artists that never get their due: Patrick van Spreckelsen
    Related to Sigrid von Spreckelsen, who did the cover for Streetmark - Eilieen?

M.C. Escher has been used by many bands.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Related to Sigrid von Spreckelsen, who did the cover for Streetmark - Eilieen?
    Presumably, he did album covers for Amon Düül II, Gash and Lake, among others. He did most of WEA’s 2 Originals Of... series in the 70s.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    M.C. Escher has been used by many bands.
    Yes, but to call him a prog sleeve illustrator? Funny you mention him though. One of the first covers Martin Springett was asked to do was Ian Hunter's first solo-album. The label wanted he used Escher's Bond Of Union on which Hunter's glasses were placed, after which Springett could "go crazy".
    Springett would design albums of Coney Hatch, Heads In The Sky and his own albums (The Gardening Club, Freefall), plus a Stravinsky-boxset, while he's also a well-know illustrator of children-books.
    The last couple of years he has more or less returned with new albums.

MARTIN SPRINGETT - coneyhatch_coneyhatch_5qqt.jpg

MARTIN SPRINGETT - ian-hunter-great-albums.jpg

MARTIN SPRINGETT - HEADS IN THE SKY (part).jpg

Yes, but to call him a prog sleeve illustrator? Funny you mention him though. One of the first covers Martin Springett was asked to do was Ian Hunter's first solo-album. The label wanted he used Escher's Bond Of Union on which Hunter's glasses were placed, after which Springett could "go crazy".
    Springett would design albums of Coney Hatch, Heads In The Sky and his own albums (The Gardening Club, Freefall), plus a Stravinsky-boxset, while he's also a well-know illustrator of children-books.
    The last couple of years he has more or less returned with new albums.

MARTIN SPRINGETT - coneyhatch_coneyhatch_5qqt.jpg

MARTIN SPRINGETT - ian-hunter-great-albums.jpg

MARTIN SPRINGETT - HEADS IN THE SKY (part).jpg
    I would, basicly because all artists used existing work by him and not something designed to be a record-cover. If one uses a Dali painting or a work by Magritte, they wouldn't be considered cover-artists.

Mattias Noren has been an up and coming album artist for a short while.
    https://www.progart.com

Dave Mckean designed some wonderful covers for Bill Bruford, Bill Laswell, Dream Theater, Buckethead etc., did some great graphic novels and directed some interesting movies: https://www.davemckean.com/

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    ^I've had them for ages, but recently I was listening to the trio of albums by Klaus Schulze (Royal Festival Hall I & II, the Dome Event) and thought I noticed a similarity the the artwork for Bruford's Earthworks albums. Sure enough, Dave McKean.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    Lets not forget good ol Geoff Mann. For me a lot more interesting then boring fantasy art.

https://images.app.goo.gl/2gNypsbrGsZ5NATf7

https://images.app.goo.gl/vbDXMDYZdfriL6gv7
    As a contemporary in a similar role, Peter Nicholls might also deserve a mention. He drew the covers for the three Shadowlands studio releases, some of the releases of both Strangers on a Train albums and Niadem's Ghost's album in addition to the illustrations on many IQ albums. His images still appear occasionally on the band's booklets, even if the actual art work and design has been outsourced to mainly Tony Lythgoe since Subterranea. So perhaps a bit forgotten in his visual artist role?

I'm a big fan of Colin Elgies Hypnosis cover illustrations. He didn't do many but these are all superb:

Genesis - A Trick of the Tail and Wind and Wuthering
    Renaissance - Scheherazade
    Wishbone Ash - Lives Dates

Quote Originally Posted by John Doe View Post
    Not quite, see post #24.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post

Who did the cover to the Arzachel (Uriel) record?

It has a charming amateurish quality to it, it reminds me of what I used to do to the backs of my notebooks when I was bored in school.
    I recently bought the album-cover book Psychedelia - 101 Iconic Underground Rock Albums 1966-1970 by Richard Morton Jack. On page 226/227 the Arzachel-album is discussed and according the author "The disc was hastily packaged in a sleeve designed by Stewart, with far-fetched liner notes that captured their surreal wit. (...) Zackariya Enterprises managed to lease the album to companies in France, Germany, Italy, Spain and the US, all of whom issued it with the same cover design but in varying colors."