Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tales From Yesterday: View From the South Side of the Sky

Tales From Yesterday: View From the South Side of the Sky

Anybody own this tribute album? Opinions?

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Truthfully I have yet to ever hear a tribute album or an "artist covers songs that influenced him/her" type album that I enjoyed from start to finish. Tales From Yesterday has a few nice tracks on it, but it also suffers from the inherent cheesy lameness of some of the Magna Carta artists who participated.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

This is easily my favourite tribute album ...Steve Howe's even on it playing tribute to himself !!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    This is easily my favourite tribute album ...Steve Howe's even on it playing tribute to himself !!!!!!
    I would totally agree. Each artist has re-worked the tracks in their own way and result is a very interesting take on the tracks and a hugely enjoyable album. Many standouts, but probably my favourite is Peter Banks' Astral Traveller with an honourable mention for Release Release buy Shadow Gallery.

This one is actually pretty good. In addition to the other contributions, there's a great cover of "Siberian Khatru" featuring Kevin Gilbert, Mike Keneally, Nick D'Virgilio and Bryan Beller that's a remarkable recreation of the original on the one hand and a really clever interpretation on the other, even working in a bit of Bill Bruford's "Sahara of Snow" at one point.

Banned
    this one IS pretty good. Solid effort and not forced. It's one of the few releases on Magna Carta records that won't remind you of Dream Theater. I always like "Siberian Khatru" also, especially that bit on the middle where they go off the charts.

Pinnick Gales Pridgen doesn't remind me of Dream Theater....

One of the better Magna Carta tribute albums, and I agree that the Stanley Snail "medley" is the highlight.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I agree, it's pretty good, but I'm somewhat biased: It's the album that showed me that prog wasn't dead, introducing me to bands like Magellan, Shadow Gallery and Cairo, and planting the name of D'Virgilio firmly in my mind after seeing it in the Genesis liner notes. Oddly enough, one of my favorite pieces is Steve Morse's take on "(The) Clap," even though it doesn't go all THAT far off the reservation.

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    Truthfully I have yet to ever hear a tribute album or an "artist covers songs that influenced him/her" type album that I enjoyed from start to finish.
    The second disc of Jakko's The Bruised Romantic Glee Club, composed entirely of covers, is quite good.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Jordan Rudess' The Road Home is very good, too.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

^ I'm not a Dream Theater fan. Any reason I should check this out?

Well, there's the tracklist:

Dance on a Volcano, with Neal Morse on vocals
    Sound Chaser, with NDV on vocals
    Just the Same, with Kip Winger on vocals
    A Piano Medley, featuring Soon, Supper's Ready, I Talk to the Wind, & And You And I
    Piece of the Pi, an original piece
    Tarkus, with Kip Winger and Steven Wilson on Vocals.

Nice setlist and thanks for the rec, Scott. Camples aren't doing much for me, though.

This is my favorite by far: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=2XqGmz8_Pis

I also really like Robert Berry's take on Roundabout. He made it his own and it works. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=AvN0BRP6Y74

I like this disc. Good covers, true, but with some liberty's taken.

Only criticism is some is a little overproduced

Quote Originally Posted by Spinaltap View Post
    I like this disc. Good covers, true, but with some liberty's taken.

Only criticism is some is a little overproduced
    By whom? I forgot. lol

Does that tree remind you of anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Jordan Rudess' The Road Home is very good, too.
    LOVE this big time.

Really good album: I think all but one track are good, and a few rival the original versions in quality. The sheer number of Yesmen guesting helps: Steve Howe (on 2 tracks), Peter Banks, Patrick Moraz and Billy Sherwood all appear.

Magma Carta's ELP tribute album is all worth checking out. Lots of interesting takes, lots of nice performances by the various guests.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Did they call themselves Stanley Snail because they misheard the lyric "Gold stainless nail"?
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

^^^

Intentionally misheard, but yeah. We even sang "Go, Stanley Snail" during the song itself!

Quote Originally Posted by mkeneally View Post
    We even sang "Go, Stanley Snail" during the song itself!
    I thought you had. You confused me about the actual lyric for a few weeks!

Quote Originally Posted by mkeneally View Post
    ^^^

Intentionally misheard, but yeah. We even sang "Go, Stanley Snail" during the song itself!
    LOL nice!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***