Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Perceptions of PE

Perceptions of PE

I'm curious how you think the outside world perceives PE. I've heard mixed reviews. Curious your take.

Mmmhhh!!!!...

the previous PE was generally regarded wearily by the PA Admins... For years, there was a Collab Zone PE threads monitoring what was said about PA by then-PA haters on PE... The fact that many collabs started more or less posting more here than there (my case) did little to calm spirits.... But it's all long-gone history... And that behind-the-scene thread hasn't been posted on for years, and since PE regularly features PA reviews, it implies a normalization on both sides... I wouldn't call it a long love-story between the two sites, but everything is cool... let's be careful about cobblestones thrown in sleeping marsh waters, though

As for the PA lambda users, PE is seen as somewhat clique-ish, requiring a much greater prog-knowledge to "meddle in" in specific threads (PA being more of an entry-level site for beginners), and often a much better mastery of English to survive on its forum

Most of my French-speakling prog buddies admit they don't have sufficient English to post on PE, but some have on PA.... But then again, most prog lurkers look at the database instead of the forum.... and PA's near exhaustiveness is only surpassed by the general site RYM
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Mmmhhh!!!!...

PE regularly features PA reviews, it implies a normalization on both sides... I wouldn't call it a long love-story between the two sites, but everything is cool... let's be careful about cobblestones thrown in sleeping marsh waters, though
    I have been friends with Maxime over there for a few years. If the guys that run the places get along I would figure that would be the case down the line. Hope so anyway. The prog world's big enough for the two of us and then some.

My wife thinks we are nerds.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

We should start a site for prog wives. And YES, they exist!

As for the PA lambda users, PE is seen as somewhat clique-ish, requiring a much greater prog-knowledge to "meddle in" in specific threads (PA being more of an entry-level site for beginners), and often a much better mastery of English to survive on its forum
    That, I think, is a huge compliment.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    We should start a site for prog wives. And YES, they exist!
    NO site for wifes, for godness sake, ....ignorance is blessed....I have enough on my plate to justify my piles of CDs around the house...now I would have to explain myself why I got involved into silly music discussions...

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I don't think much of the outside world knows we are here outside of the previously mentioned PA members.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I was thinking of more of a prog-wife support group. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I don't think much of the outside world knows we are here outside of the previously mentioned PA members.
    I was talking about the prog scene's players, artists, mgt, and fans. Nothing beyond that. The rest of the world is oblivious to us and prog too. And don't think the prog scene starts and stops here, there's many who lurk we are never aware of. I am curious what they think too.

Honestly, I hadn't even heard of this place until a FB friend of mine sent me the link. I was put off at first by the low tech nature of it (I was like 16 at the time), so I signed up for an account anyway, but never came back. It wasn't until last summer when I got tired of PA's lack of NEARfest discussion (or interest for that matter), when I thought, "Hmmm, I wonder if that other place has anything to say about it?". So, I went back through old messages, found the link, and to my surprise, found out that I already had an account. I tried a common password with my username and I was instantly logged it. I've since left PA and hung out here. People are friendlier and are actually willing to engage in discussions (unlike PA users who have a habit of sharing their opinion and ignoring others) and I've found that it's generally less nitpicky and more open-minded here. Eventually, I grew used to the low tech site (it had a charm do it) and never looked back.
    Last edited by zombywoof; 02-27-2013 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Originally Posted by Trane

That, I think, is a huge compliment.
    In a way, it is... Though PE could be called elitist by a lot PA'ers (just like a lot of PE'ers think of the Gnosis bunch)... and some here show it (elitism) by looking down at PA's noobie-ness
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

We have been called worse by some of the artists we discuss. The fact that we offer both sides of the coin when it comes to musical discussion has endeared us to some and disgusted & "horrified" others.

Honestly, I hadn't even heard of this place until a FB friend of mine sent me the link. I was put off at first by the low tech nature of it (I was like 16 at the time), but I signed up for an account anyway, but never came back. It wasn't until last summer when I got tired of PA's lack of NEARfest discussion (or interest for that matter), when I thought, "Hmmm, I wonder if that other place has anything to say about it?". So, I went back through old messages, found the link, and to my surprise, found out that I already had an account. I tried a common password with my username and I was instantly logged it. I've since left PA and hung out here. People are friendlier and are actually willing to engage in discussions (unlike PA users who have a habit of sharing their opinion and ignoring others) and I've found that it's generally less nitpicky and more open-minded here. Eventually, I grew used to the low tech site (it had a charm do it) and never looked back.
    Interesting points, but I'm sure your realize that PA crowd is much more international (though you wouldn't know it by looking at the "general discussions" topics section >> everything seems to relate to US or UK stuff, as it is here in PE), while here (PE again), the vast majority of the membership is North American.

In a way, it is... Though PE could be called elitist by a lot PA'ers (just like a lot of PE'ers think of the Gnosis bunch)... and some here show it (elitism) by looking down at PA's noobie-ness
    I don't really see PE as being that elitist. I don't see a sign here that says, "No noobs!", it just may come off that way, because we cater to a crowd that has heard at least the majority of the classics, hence why we are called Progressive Ears! :-)

I'm not familiar with enough with Gnosis to comment. Maybe I'll have to journey over and see what they are all about...

We have been called worse by some of the artists we discuss. The fact that we offer both sides of the coin when it comes to musical discussion has endeared us to some and disgusted & "horrified" others.
    I think the fact that many artists hang out here speaks volumes. I don't think I've ever seen an artist take part in discussions outside of promotional purposes on PA.

I think the fact that many artists hang out here speaks volumes. I don't think I've ever seen an artist take part in discussions outside of promotional purposes on PA.
    there is a French site I participate in (not music), and the amount of artistes hanging around is always surprising me.... I'm not that sure it's that much a good thing, though... I somehow have to review the way I state a viewpoint as to make sure I don't hurt him/her needlessly...

I joined right after ProgDay 2008 because someone told me "if you want the honest, unadulterated truth about how your band went down, go to a place called Progressive Ears".

Was it ever mean spirited? Ever seen someone cut to shreds and left for dead?

I had an account at PA a long time ago and really didn't care for their forum. Between the insane signature sizes, poor English (no offense to anyone, it's just hard to read), and the general tone of the place, I didn't last long.

This, to me, has the perfect blend of variety, camaraderie, and information for me.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I personally haven't - and with our keyboard rig completely crapping out and our bassist having to decide in real time how and what to play on his bass to cover the missing keys, I half expected to get savaged. But it didn't happen.

Meanwhile some artists think we are Satan. What gives?

Some artists need to come to terms with the fact that once they release something, they are opening it up for public criticism. If they can't live with that, they need to find a new profession.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Well we've had a few adverse reactions from artists, the whole Geoff Downes thing springs to mind. Typically in most threads you'll get plenty of back and forth, and if an artists only wants positive reviews they'd probably need to stay away from here. I've only really found a few of the known trolls to be particularly over the top nasty.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Didn't Abe Lincoln say something about that?

I can't offer an objective opinion, because PE has come to mean a great deal to me. I don't & won't do FB or any other social media (other than email), since for me that's more than enough.

The friends I've made as a result of PE are too numerous to count, and for that I'll always be grateful. So my perception is jaded (enough to keep me around here even with the high level of Asperger's that's rampant!).
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman