Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Alice Cooper Band

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post

Welcome 2 My Nightmare is my favorite "recent" Alice album though. It captures a lot of the fun spirit of the late '70s stuff, with a great band...and includes Alice's tribute to the Rolling Stones in "I'll Bite Your Face Off". Actually, it's really as much a sequel to AC Goes to Hell as it is to the original Welcome to My Nightmare.
    I don't think I've heard a note of that one, maybe I'll tack it on to an order just for fun, since I'm in the mood lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post

I still listen to Love it to death in my hot rotation and every song on that album is a keeper
    My #1 favourite album of his entire career.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Oh man, not for me! Apart from the lone skipper track (I Love America), it's all gold for me. And the second half has Scarlet And Sheba and of course Pass The Gun Around... man, I love those tracks.

Special Forces is 35 minutes, which is no different from plenty of albums of that period. I'm sure there are Beatles and Van Halen albums shorter than that. And a zillion Italian prog albums, for that matter. However, they could have easily fit Look At You Over There, Ripping The Dust From My Teddy Bear. But I believe I read that Alice didn't want it on the album.

I should revisit The Last Temptation, I must admit I don't recall much of it. And there are albums beyond that which I have never heard in their entirety.
    I guess you are right about "Special Forces" being about the same as other albums, although one of the tracks is a live remake of "Generation Landslide". Alice was so messed up during that time period. Some of the interviews you can find on Youtube are pretty interesting. The album is different from anything else he did, but it all works.

As I mentioned before, I loved "Last Temptation" for me it sounds like kind of a return to his roots and is very different from the hair metal albums he did. I also love "Brutal Planet" from a few years later. Alice basically took on the Nu Metal crowd and did it better than any of them. It is Alice at his heaviest and great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    The Last Temptation is really good, especially if you listen to it alongside the graphic novel Alice co-wrote with Neil Gaiman.

Welcome 2 My Nightmare is my favorite "recent" Alice album though. It captures a lot of the fun spirit of the late '70s stuff, with a great band...and includes Alice's tribute to the Rolling Stones in "I'll Bite Your Face Off". Actually, it's really as much a sequel to AC Goes to Hell as it is to the original Welcome to My Nightmare.
    I know "Welcome 2 My Nightmare" gets very mixed reviews from Cooper fans, but I also agree that it is great. The music on it is all over the place and even the duet he does with Kei$sha (or whatever she is called) is great. I would also agree that it has more in common with "Goes To Hell". In fact it is almost a remake of the same concept with different music, although on "Nightmare 2" Alice actually ends up in hell for eternity.

Funny, I loved the Early Cooper, then kind of gave up on him when he went solo. I think I liked the band more than him. Those dual guitars were absolutely the most powerful thing I'd ever heard - The epitome of "Power Rock" to my ears. Even now. You just dont get those fat 2 part leads that need very little behind them to sound huge...

I play I'm 18 and no more mister nice guy live - acoustically and they go over great! I can do a decent Alice on vox, - far better than he can these days... I heard him on a Kim Mitchell interview and Kim started playing a Cooper song on his guitar and Alice could'nt hit the notes and sang like a 5th lower. sounded like his voice was shrapnel. Its strange how he demands such killer musicianship, and he just cant pull his own songs musically anymore. I would still love to see him live - its a bucket list thing.

I still listen to Love it to death in my hot rotation and every song on that album is a keeper - I hate how they gutted the bass part on I'm 18 in the "best of" remaster version. What were they thinking??? - That's the coolest part of the song!

No More Mister nice guy is the ring tone on my phone, has been for nearly a decade. Does that make me a fanboy?

I play in Sedona semi regularly, and believe I've seen him driving thru town on a couple occasions. I've been told he golfs there.
    I have seen Alice live as recently as a couple of years ago and although his voice is not what it was he still pulls things off pretty good and puts on one hell of a show, especially for a man of his age. Go see him if you ever get the chance after COVID. He always has a fantastic band too.

"The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I'm a weirdy beardy but I absolutely *love* those early 80s albums, especially Dada, which I would replace at any cost if my CD ever got scratched.
    Dada is the only AC-album I have, but I also love that one very much. It may sound strange, but when I hear that psychiatric intro I always have to think of Richard Burton in films like Equus and The Medusa Touch.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Dada is the only AC-album I have, but I also love that one very much. It may sound strange, but when I hear that psychiatric intro I always have to think of Richard Burton in films like Equus and The Medusa Touch.
    Not Exorcist II? Kidding! I'm sure Bob Ezrin would be flattered at that comparison actually. I love how the last "Dada" comes at the very end of the album after the gunshot.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I guess you are right about "Special Forces" being about the same as other albums, although one of the tracks is a live remake of "Generation Landslide".
    You want a short Alice album, the previous one (Flush The Fashion) is not even 29 minutes!

I had to order a few things today, I tacked on The Last Temptation just for fun, since it was pretty cheap.

You want a short Alice album, the previous one (Flush The Fashion) is not even 29 minutes!

I had to order a few things today, I tacked on The Last Temptation just for fun, since it was pretty cheap.
    Wow, I never noticed that about "Flush". I will be interested to see if you like "Last Temptation". As someone else mentioned there was a graphic novel associated with the album which is somewhat conceptual. "Last Temptation" is also the first of a trilogy of albums that include "Dragontown" and "Brutal Planet". All of them are somewhat Christian in content with "Dragontown" being the most obvious.

^ Has Rev. Furnier's son returned to the fold?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ Has Rev. Furnier's son returned to the fold?
    Yup, he is 100% Christian these days. He is not quite Neal Morse with his lyrics, but it is always there in a more subtle way.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Yup, he is 100% Christian these days. He is not quite Neal Morse with his lyrics, but it is always there in a more subtle way.
    His current stage show is a warning of what happens in Hell.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    His current stage show is a warning of what happens in Hell.
    Ha, well different strokes I guess. I totally dug him the last time I saw him which was about 2 years ago.

Well, I spun The Last Temptation just now. I liked it well enough, it's a fine batch of rock tunes, but nothing really grabbed me and made me want to listen again. For now, onto the shelf it goes, but I'll revisit it again at some point before this latest Alice phase is over, maybe something will jump out at me.

Well, I spun The Last Temptation just now. I liked it well enough, it's a fine batch of rock tunes, but nothing really grabbed me and made me want to listen again. For now, onto the shelf it goes, but I'll revisit it again at some point before this latest Alice phase is over, maybe something will jump out at me.
    I think part of the reason that I liked it so much when it came out was that it was so different from the 4 hair metal albums that came before it. Although I loved seeing Alice live during the hair metal phase, the albums left me cold for the most part. When "Last Temptation" came out it was like, yes Alice is back to doing what he does best. Sometimes timing is everything.

Funny, I loved the Early Cooper, then kind of gave up on him when he went solo. I think I liked the band more than him. Those dual guitars were absolutely the most powerful thing I'd ever heard - The epitome of "Power Rock" to my ears. Even now. You just dont get those fat 2 part leads that need very little behind them to sound huge...

I play I'm 18 and no more mister nice guy live - acoustically and they go over great! I can do a decent Alice on vox, - far better than he can these days... I heard him on a Kim Mitchell interview and Kim started playing a Cooper song on his guitar and Alice could'nt hit the notes and sang like a 5th lower. sounded like his voice was shrapnel. Its strange how he demands such killer musicianship, and he just cant pull his own songs musically anymore. I would still love to see him live - its a bucket list thing.

I still listen to Love it to death in my hot rotation and every song on that album is a keeper - I hate how they gutted the bass part on I'm 18 in the "best of" remaster version. What were they thinking??? - That's the coolest part of the song!

No More Mister nice guy is the ring tone on my phone, has been for nearly a decade. Does that make me a fanboy?

I play in Sedona semi regularly, and believe I've seen him driving thru town on a couple occasions. I've been told he golfs there.
    How about this version?

^ He needs to change his name to Udon't.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ He needs to change his name to Udon't.
    That Udo was the drummer on the first Passport album.

Last year, I turned over my old vinyl collection to my brother because I love him and could not carry that heavy load of albums with me to Canada.
    But lately I have been connecting back memories of a few of those albums and two cover artwork stand out that are Alice Cooper albums:

-School's Out: it has the school desk cover that you can lift it open like a classroom desk and inside the vinyl record is fitted in a girls panties! So funny but it was still in mint condition.

-Muscle of Love: This one came packaged in a shallow corrugated cardboard carton (12x12x1) with pictures of the band in sailor suits, also very funny and in mint condition.

I miss the vinyl stuff. But, I'm definitely never going back to buying vinyl. Besides, it is cost prohibitive.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    How about this version?
    Wow his voice is much better there than when I heard him on air on the Kim Mitchell show. Lots better. That was pathetic. This is not pathetic.

I think my favourite was "Love it to Death", because of the second side. I think it was a concept piece, ending with "Sun Arise". They never said it was, I don't think, but it sure flowed like it. And the material was pretty interesting.
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

New Alice album coming next week and features all the surviving members of the original Alice Cooper band. The album is "Detroit Stories" and is his tribute to his hometown.

Back in the day, when they used to have concerts...I always caught the Alice Cooper Show. Lots of fun. Great band.

Cool new interview with Alice where he talks about the new album and the old original band: