Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Hey, I got one out of three tonight.

Why the F is there no Hodor this season? That's unacceptable.

Pretty good episode though. Did you guys hear the first four episodes were leaked and you can download high quality torrents of them? My son wants to wait and watch it each week, so we shall.

I like that they didn't try to jam every character into the first episode of the season. I suspect episode 2 will have a lot of Arya's story (which is about to become really great). Thankfully no Bran either - he is my least favourite part of both the books and the show.

Interesting that they've kept Varys in the show, he is not supposed to have traveled with Tyrion on the ship, but I suppose he's popular with people. Looking forward to seeing Dorne as well, and the sand snakes!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Yeah, the whole Bran thing is boring, and like the plot from a Juvenile fantasy novel.

Don't worry, Bran will soon turn into a tree, hopefully in both the books and show, and we won't have to watch/read about him anymore.

On that note, more Maergery please ......
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Could people please stop revealing stuff that hasn't been on the TV yet? I thought we'd agree that there would be a separate thread for those wanting to talk the later stuff.

Thanks.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Could people please stop revealing stuff that hasn't been on the TV yet? I thought we'd agree that there would be a separate thread for those wanting to talk the later stuff.

Thanks.
    I hope you didn't take my Bran turn into a tree as a reveal - it was a tongue in cheek assumption that hasn't happened in either the show or the book.

Not watching this season, we dropped a couple premiums from our cable service, including HBO. I might try to the new service over Apple, provided I can figure how to make it work on a PC. I thought about downloading it from those dark places on the Internet but it's not worth the hassle with my ISP if I get caught. Or I'll just read the Monday recap on AVClub. I assume when a certain character makes a nude stroll in Kings Landing it'll be all over the Internet.

I don't think it's much of a spoiler to say Bran has not turned into a tree.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    First episode of the season is pretty much always used to setup as we reconnect with all the characters in their new circumstances. I would think the same for the next few episodes as well, not expecting a lot of epic battle scenes or major character deaths.

That said, I really enjoyed a lot of this one, including...

- The toppling of the harpy statue in Mereen. Looks like HBO is spending some of their GOT windfall on SFX, that really looked great.

- Got to love the inside Tyrion box camera view. Reminded me of the camera work from Breaking Bad, which is not all that surprising, considering that BrBa director of photography Michael Slovis directed this premiere episode.

- Which lead us to yet another great Tyrion/Varys exchange of verbal gymnastics.

- Also really enjoyed the Jon Stark scenes with Stannis, Melisandre and the Onion Knight. Seems like both sides are sizing each other up in the time honored Westeros tradition of who can manipulate each other the best.

All in all, off to a good start.
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post

Thanks.
    Yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Not watching this season, we dropped a couple premiums from our cable service, including HBO. I might try to the new service over Apple, provided I can figure how to make it work on a PC. I thought about downloading it from those dark places on the Internet but it's not worth the hassle with my ISP if I get caught. Or I'll just read the Monday recap on AVClub. I assume when a certain character makes a nude stroll in Kings Landing it'll be all over the Internet.

I don't think it's much of a spoiler to say Bran has not turned into a tree.
    Millions of people are downloading it, I doubt you'll get caught. Something like 8000 people were seeding the first episode Sunday.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    ^^^^^
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

I hate those stupid ass memes, but must admit I got a good chuckle at the end.

Pretty dull episode last night, but I guess it all has to be set up. Makes me wish I had the patience to wait it out and tackle the whole season on BluRay.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

I thought it was a pretty good episode, except the whole execution of that guy - that whole part was boring.

Chopping off hands is boring? You have indeed been George Martinized.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

I thought they chopped off his head...

Last night was pretty good, but I find that this season whenever they show Denarius it's boring as hell. Also, some characters have all but disappeared. If not entirely.

chalkpie
    Reek.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Last night was pretty good, but I find that this season whenever they show Denarius it's boring as hell. Also, some characters have all but disappeared. If not entirely.
    I don't think these will count as spoilers: 1. The Daenerys storyline is even more tedious and boring in the books. While not necessarily that enjoyable, this isn't as bad. / 2. This is a symptom of books 4 and 5 being one chronological book that was split in half, each only focusing on a handful of the full cast of characters at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Pr33t View Post
    I don't think these will count as spoilers: 1. The Daenerys storyline is even more tedious and boring in the books. While not necessarily that enjoyable, this isn't as bad. / 2. This is a symptom of books 4 and 5 being one chronological book that was split in half, each only focusing on a handful of the full cast of characters at a time.

I find the Daenerys storyline interesting. The struggles of a basically “good” leader trying to do the right thing, but having to deal with all of the trials and tribulation having all that responsibility brings. I have not read the books so don’t know how things turn out, but the question as to whether she can stay true to her moral / ethical convictions is a great storyline to me. Many leaders have faced this same dilemma throughout history, some stay “good” and some turn “bad”. She is one of the few characters in the entire series who actually have a moral / ethical compass. She also has what is essentially a “doomsday” weapon at her disposal in the dragons. How will she choose to use this power and can she keep it under control is another interesting aspect to the storyline. As an old blues song once said , “paying the cost, for being the boss”. John Snow is finding himself in somewhat of a similar situation.

I agree with Steve and continue to be intrigued by the Daenerys storyline. (I have read the books)

Your point about characters' internal battle between good and evil is evident throughout the story, with obvious examples of both pure evil and pure good.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    I agree with Steve and continue to be intrigued by the Daenerys storyline. (I have read the books)

Your point about characters' internal battle between good and evil is evident throughout the story, with obvious examples of both pure evil and pure good.
    She is pretty much the only person in power in the show who actually cares about the people she rules over above her own personal wants and needs. Can a leader like this actually be able to keep the support of the people, defend against more ruthless leaders, and eventually claim the Iron Throne? Will she be corrupted, defeated, will her people turn against her? For me it is one of the more fascinating storylines of the whole show.

How is she feeding this army of hers? They always look immaculate. Wouldn't they be pillaging the farms along the way? Why does she need to sack every city on Slaver's Bay BEFORE crossing the Narrow Sea? Every army in the Seven Kingdoms is decimated at this point. Just cross the Sea already!

Is anybody else worried that the TV series will overtake the book series and the remaining books will only be written versions of the TV series? Is Martin not sure where to take the story and thus relying on the show's writing team to show him the way?
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

I'm not worried about the series overtaking the books. There's been so many deviations from the books now they're practically going in different directions. Per rumors on fantasy boards, the next book will be done this year, probably published in early 2016. A few hundred pages were cut off the end of Dance with Dragons so Martin definitely had a running start on the next book.

I agree that Dany's story has become tedious. Too much time spent in Meereen. But at the end of the last book we had some tremendous movement forward in her story and I am dying to see where she's going from here.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post

Yeah I feel the same way you and Steve do. I like her storyline even though it's slow going. Not to mention each time I see her I get a rise in my drawers.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak