Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Concept Albums: 25 Classics That Will Blow Your Mind

Best Concept Albums: 25 Classics That Will Blow Your Mind

Some classic 70s prog-era artists and their albums within this list...

https://www.udiscovermusic.com/stori...oncept-albums/

Robert Calvert - Captain Lockheed
    Home - The Alchemist
    Harry Nilsson - The Point
    Le Orme - Felona e Sorona
    Jesus Christ Superstar
    The Who - Tommy
    Rick Wakeman - Journey To The Center........
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Cool, and a very awesome top 3, in my book! So nice to see 'Thick as a Brick', 'Skylarking' and 'Six Wives' in the list, which I didn't expect. I'm not a fan of Wakeman's narrated concept albums that followed but do love Six Wives.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I think Husker Du's Zen Archane at 4 is about right.

Nice to see Quadrophenia at 6.

The Lamb at 3. Cool!

The only thing about Six Wives..., is, I read once that he had actually composed and maybe even recorded the six pieces before the whole "concept" was put forth". It was only done as a means for A&M to have a hook, as it were, to sell an all instrumental record

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    I'm surprised that Radiohead wasn't on the list. Not that I'm in Radiohead's corner, I just thought they were obligatory in these kind of things.

I'm not familiar with a bunch of it, but there were some good picks from what I know.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    I'm surprised that Radiohead wasn't on the list. Not that I'm in Radiohead's corner, I just thought they were obligatory in these kind of things.

I'm not familiar with a bunch of it, but there were some good picks from what I know.
    Have Radiohead ever done a concept album? If they did, the concept was so obscure no-one noticed.
    Last edited by LeFrog; 04-26-2019 at 12:22 AM.
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

Gentle Giant - Three Friends
    Magma - Mëkanïk Dëstruktïẁ Kömmandöh

The most surprising and diversified list I've seen in many a moon.

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    Have Radiohead ever done a concept album? If they did, the concept was so obscure no-one noticed.
    I was left with the impression that OK Computer was some kind of concept album. I never made it all the way through, myself. Like Porcupine Tree, they never really connected with me, but then I never put in a significant effort like I have with other bands.

They missed We're Only In It For The Money
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    They missed We're Only In It For The Money
    And the concept album that inspired it.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

most of those albums on that list aren't even concept albums.

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    most of those albums on that list aren't even concept albums.
    Could someone explain the the author what a "CONCEPT" album is? Dark Side of the Moon WAS a concept album and Wish You Were You (Which I love) is certainly NOT!

I agree, another entry for "The Worst List Ever" competition and I feel he has a great chance to win...!
    Last edited by Mythos; 04-27-2019 at 10:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    Could someone explain the the author what a "CONCEPT" album is? Dark Side of the Moon WAS a concept album and Wish You Were You (Which I love) is certainly NOT!

I agree, another entry for "The Worst List Ever" competition and I feel he has a great chance to win...!

Actually, I'm pretty sure the writer is Syrian, as he has the same logic as a guy I used to work with who was from Damascus (pronounced: DUMB-ASS-KISS)...
    Now you will be spanked by the PC-police !
    But when you mention Dark Side of the Moon, it reminds me of the wise words from Mullah Ruhullah: The moon is more important than the sun. The moon shines in the night when it is dark, guiding man and beast, but the sun shines in the day when it is bright anyway.

Actually, Wish You Were Here is a concept album. The whole album was a commentary on the band itself. I think Roger Waters said the concept was "absence, literal and otherwise".

Actually, I'm pretty sure the writer is Syrian, as he has the same logic as a guy I used to work with who was from Damascus (pronounced: DUMB-ASS-KISS)...
    IMO... a concept album is a complete lyrical and musical journey.

I was thinking Dark Side as well, but Money doesn't really fit the theme. They needed a song to catch the public's ear to listen to a great album.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I was thinking Dark Side as well, but Money doesn't really fit the theme. They needed a song to catch the public's ear to listen to a great album.
    How does Money not fit the theme? The theme is all the the things that drive people "over the edge", and money, greed, avarice, etc is certainly part of that.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    How does Money not fit the theme? The theme is all the the things that drive people "over the edge", and money, greed, avarice, etc is certainly part of that.
    This song does not entail the perennial themes that fans are used to such as paranoia, insanity, the meaning of life, and the passage of time.[18] Instead, Pink Floyd changes their conventional message with lyrics that criticize crass materialism.[18]

Quote Originally Posted by Crawford Glissadevil View Post
    The most surprising and diversified list I've seen in many a moon.
    indeed ... Parliament gets a nod! Most of their albums were concept albums
    though I think The Motor Booty Affair is way better than MC

glad the put WYWH on there instead of The Wall or DSOTM

Husker Du is quite a surprise. That album is a masterpiece of Hardcore Punk but I never thought of it as a concept album
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post

Husker Du is quite a surprise. That album is a masterpiece of Hardcore Punk but I never thought of it as a concept album
    I've always heard Zen Arcade referred to as a concept album, from the first time I saw it on one of Rolling Stone's "best albums" lists (I think this was "Best Albums of the 1980's" or some such).
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Zen Arcade tells the story of a young man who runs away to escape a miserable and abusive home life ("Broken Home, Broken Heart", "Never Talking to You Again"). The character briefly joins the military ("Chartered Trips"), turns to religion ("Hare Krsna"), and seems to find a tenuous peace through love ("Somewhere") before losing his girlfriend to drugs ("Pink Turns to Blue"). He reaches a point of despair, ultimately concluding that he won't be able to change his circumstances ("Newest Industry", "Whatever") before waking up to find that the whole odyssey had occurred in his subconscious during a night of troubled sleep; the challenges of his life—for better or worse—remain in front of him ("The Tooth Fairy and the Princess", "Turn on the News"). "Reoccurring Dreams", a disorienting 14-minute instrumental that reprises a shorter instrumental interlude ("Dreams Reoccurring"), closes the album.

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    IMO... a concept album is a complete lyrical and musical journey.
    You don't get that from WYWH? It is pretty apparent to me.

"Shine On You Crazy Diamond" - The main story-line about what the music business/fame did to Syd.

"Welcome to the Machine," "Have a Cigar," & "Wish You Were Here" - A parallel story-line about what the music business/fame is doing to the songwriter.

Both story-lines converge at the end of "Shine On You Crazy Diamond."

It's definitely a concept album with a complete lyrical and musical journey.