Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker teaser trailer

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    It felt contrived to me, the "wear down their shields" rigamarole. Even in Trek, a ship's shields can't sustain a prolonged barrage. Laura Dern's character was a waste of space, too. Her big moment should have been Admiral Ackbar's.
    Well they weren't wearing their shields down, it was that the Resistance ships were far enough out of range that the First Order's weapons had no effect on their shields. Contrived, sure -- but lots of movies have plot contrivances. It is what it is.

It would have been cool to have Admiral Ackbar be the one to do the lightspeed kamikaze, but I also thought that his unceremonious death was a realistic way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Well they weren't wearing their shields down, it was that the Resistance ships were far enough out of range that the First Order's weapons had no effect on their shields. Contrived, sure -- but lots of movies have plot contrivances. It is what it is.

It would have been cool to have Admiral Ackbar be the one to do the lightspeed kamikaze, but I also thought that his unceremonious death was a realistic way to go.
    Honestly, it felt like the same difference to me. I get that Hux wanted to toy with them, but to do that for over 100 minutes...

Honestly, it felt like the same difference to me. I get that Hux wanted to toy with them, but to do that for over 100 minutes...
    I know... We've been round and round about this movie in the past, but it's okay if we don't agree on it.

I know... We've been round and round about this movie in the past, but it's okay if we don't agree on it.
    Hey, you're the one who always wants to play "spin the lightsaber"...

If you think "Star Wars oversaturation" is a thing now, you ain't seen nothin' yet.
    I don't care for the animated shows. That's not to say they aren't worthwhile or have their place, but when people/fans start quoting canon from them, I shrug.

The Mandalorian sounds like it could be fun. I'm looking forward to that.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

My take has less to do with the results and more to do with the pre-production and planning. It absolutely blows my mind that Disney wouldn't have had every important detail of the trilogy planned out before going into production. But seeing how this has also played out with their Marvel series, not to mention Solo, this should surprise me less so.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    I don't care for the animated shows. That's not to say they aren't worthwhile or have their place, but when people/fans start quoting canon from them, I shrug.

The Mandalorian sounds like it could be fun. I'm looking forward to that.
    Same here. I get it all the time from a mega-fan. I don't watch them, so events depicted therein don't resonate. I don't like the look of the animations, so I'm not going to watch them anytime soon.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    It felt contrived to me, the "wear down their shields" rigamarole. Even in Trek, a ship's shields can't sustain a prolonged barrage. Laura Dern's character was a waste of space, too. Her big moment should have been Admiral Ackbar's.
    It felt like a metaphor for the franchise to me: space ships fighting, slowly running out of fuel.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Hey, you're the one who always wants to play "spin the lightsaber"...
    Now wait a minute! You're the one who baited me into talking about it this time! Mentioning the Canto Bight stuff and the spaceship chase.

The eons are closing
    ^^
    Sounds like it if wasnt for TLJ, it would be more like 7 Episodes in Heaven for you two! [emoji3]
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    My take has less to do with the results and more to do with the pre-production and planning. It absolutely blows my mind that Disney wouldn't have had every important detail of the trilogy planned out before going into production. But seeing how this has also played out with their Marvel series, not to mention Solo, this should surprise me less so.
    I agree with this. There should have been one outline for the entire saga. It seems bizarre to me that they gave us a trilogy where the middle film screws with the first and then the third one discards the middle ones additions.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    I agree with this. There should have been one outline for the entire saga. It seems bizarre to me that they gave us a trilogy where the middle film screws with the first and then the third one discards the middle ones additions.
    We don't know yet if that's the case actually. Abrams loves to be misleading.

Also, nothing in the trailer for Ep 9 leads me to believe that it's discarding anything from TLJ. Kylo Ren's helmet seems to be back, but we don't even know the context yet or who is even repairing it.