Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wetton's Estate is Suing Jobson

The eons are closing
    Andre C is alright by me, so his voice here resonates.

However I hope this is resolved swiftly satisfactorily to all parties and most importantly out of the public eye.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Care to elaborate? How was Eddie an a-hole opening for Tull (with UK) and then next year with Tull? I saw these tours as well and witnessed no such assholeness.
    I do not mean to imply that he was an asshole on stage (though in Tull, he seemed to be setting himself apart from the band, which was probably appropriate since he had no intention of remaining). I was just responding to Geez's comment about seeing him live.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Well, the anecdotal evidence is beginning to favor Jobson, which is frankly a relief. May it all be resolved, somehow, quickly and equitably - whatever that turns out to mean in this case!

Let's get to the important stuff, already.

What does Steven Wilson think about this?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    Let's get to the important stuff, already.

What does Steven Wilson think about this?
    He says they're all derivative crap.

I've yet to read a single unbiased opinion in this thread.
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wilcox660 View Post
    I've yet to read a single unbiased opinion in this thread.
    Here's one!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Oh dear, only the lawyers will win.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    He says they're all derivative crap.
    And that they should all be standing.

Well, yeah, if you want to resort to using facts! :P

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Here's one!
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Quote Originally Posted by zeprogmeister View Post
    I wouldn't go making judgments on anything until the full facts of the case come out and things are settled. These days it seems to be easy to do a "trial by social media PR" campaign.
    </thread> ...
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    There is a difference between Andre's and Alex's working relationships with Eddie vs. John Wetton though. Andre and Alex were hired for a particular purpose. They didn't write and release material with Eddie. Again, we don't know anything, but when you get into royalty payments, it's a much more dynamic situation involving accountants and calculations. If you're hired to play guitar on a tour, you have a set monetary amount that you have agreed upon up front. Royalties are very potentially much messier and less transparent.
    Chad

Looks like this is still going on, with the next court date set for April 21st. All the court documents are on the web; I'm no legal expert, but reading things over it seems it is not going well for Wetton's estate. Jobson is now firing back with counterclaims in regards to defamation, accounting, and several others. It is a very convoluted web, with things coming out like how Bozzio was never a full member of UK and the folks who own Wetton's estate also own Bruford's publishing and Jobson makes the point that " Bill Bruford’s 1979 album “One of a Kind” contains a Jobson composed track “The Sahara of Snow-Part Two.” The Counterclaim Defendants control the publishing copyrights in the album, but have never arranged or accounted for any payment of publishing royalties to Mr. Jobson. ".

A couple items of interest from Jobson's side:

Mr. Jobson, through UKZ Inc., paid Mr. Wetton generously for his participation
    in “U-Z,” even though he was told by both Mr. Wetton and his representative Mr. Darvill that
    Mr. Wetton did not need the money, and that he was performing with Mr. Jobson to atone for his
    thirty years of abusive behavior, as part of Mr. Wetton’s twelve-step sobriety program

In January 2016 (a year before Mr. Wetton’s death), all of the former members of
    “UK” – Mr. Jobson, Mr. Wetton, Bill Bruford and Allan Holdsworth2 – signed an agreement
    with Globe Music, granting the exclusive rights to Globe Music and Mr. Jobson to continue
    acting on the group’s behalf in controlling the copyrights in the “UK” albums. They also agreed
    to the transfer of their copyright rights in the historic sound recordings to Globe Music, upon the
    successful termination of, and reversion of rights in, the underlying copyrights from Universal
    Music Group to the members

On April 9, 2019, in furtherance of Earnshaw’s and Darvill’s attempts to
    undermine Mr. Jobson’s reputation and business, and to wrongfully take control of “UK”’s
    copyrights, Mr. Earnshaw drafted a letter from “The Members of UK.” The letter purported to
    revoke any agreements Mr. Jobson and Globe Music has “to administer the ‘UK’ copyrights,”
    “to ensure the preservation of our legacy in the band UK.” Tellingly, the “Members of UK”
    letter appears on identical stationery as Mr. Earnshaw’s “The Wetton Estate” letters, and
    identifies “Members of UK” as “c/o QEDG Management, The Grange, Northlew Road,
    Oakhampton, Devon, EX20 3DA, UK,” just like the Estate. A true and correct copy of the April
    9, 2019 letter is attached hereto and incorporated herein as Exhibit E.
    37. Mr. Earnshaw collected signatures from: 1) drummer Bill Bruford (whose
    publishing copyrights are now controlled by Mr. Earnshaw); 2) 1979 session musician Terry
    Bozzio, who was never a full member of “UK”; 3) Darvill, purportedly on behalf of the Estate of
    John Wetton; and 4) Evan S. Cohen, a lawyer purportedly on behalf of the Estate of Allan
    Holdsworth.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Looks like this is still going on, with the next court date set for April 21st...
    Yowza. Some intrepid progger needs to make a concept album out of all this. Where's Andy Tillison when you need him?
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Yowza. Some intrepid progger needs to make a concept album out of all this. Where's Andy Tillison when you need him?
    Haha yeah. Would be a good book too.

Could "Lawyer Prog" be a new sub-genre ?

Quote Originally Posted by Interstellar View Post
    Could "Lawyer Prog" be a new sub-genre ?
    Been there, done that

LMR.jpg

The eons are closing
    Totally forgot that disc!
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by irongoalie View Post
    Been there, done that

LMR.jpg
    HAHAHAHA I forgot that disc, too! Oh, man. Thanks for that laugh. I truly needed it!
    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

Quote Originally Posted by irongoalie View Post
    Been there, done that

LMR.jpg
    I was more thinking of

ggf.jpg
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Looks like this is still going on, with the next court date set for April 21st. All the court documents are on the web;
    All fascinating - thanks.

I'm no legal expert, but reading things over it seems it is not going well for Wetton's estate. Jobson is now firing back with counterclaims in regards to defamation, accounting, and several others. It is a very convoluted web, with things coming out like how Bozzio was never a full member of UK and the folks who own Wetton's estate also own Bruford's publishing and Jobson makes the point that " Bill Bruford’s 1979 album “One of a Kind” contains a Jobson composed track “The Sahara of Snow-Part Two.” The Counterclaim Defendants control the publishing copyrights in the album, but have never arranged or accounted for any payment of publishing royalties to Mr. Jobson. ".
    Pretty damning... if true! That's the problem: there's claim and counterclaim, who do we believe?

A couple items of interest from Jobson's side:

Mr. Jobson, through UKZ Inc., paid Mr. Wetton generously for his participation
    in “U-Z,” even though he was told by both Mr. Wetton and his representative Mr. Darvill that
    Mr. Wetton did not need the money, and that he was performing with Mr. Jobson to atone for his
    thirty years of abusive behavior, as part of Mr. Wetton’s twelve-step sobriety program
    I don't know what really happened. We do know Wetton became sober and sought to make amends for past behaviour... but Wetton offering to do those shows for free? Seems a generous offer. How many U-Z shows did Wetton do?

In January 2016 (a year before Mr. Wetton’s death), all of the former members of
    “UK” – Mr. Jobson, Mr. Wetton, Bill Bruford and Allan Holdsworth2 – signed an agreement
    with Globe Music, granting the exclusive rights to Globe Music and Mr. Jobson to continue
    acting on the group’s behalf in controlling the copyrights in the “UK” albums. They also agreed
    to the transfer of their copyright rights in the historic sound recordings to Globe Music, upon the
    successful termination of, and reversion of rights in, the underlying copyrights from Universal
    Music Group to the members

On April 9, 2019, in furtherance of Earnshaw’s and Darvill’s attempts to
    undermine Mr. Jobson’s reputation and business, and to wrongfully take control of “UK”’s
    copyrights, Mr. Earnshaw drafted a letter from “The Members of UK.” The letter purported to
    revoke any agreements Mr. Jobson and Globe Music has “to administer the ‘UK’ copyrights,”
    “to ensure the preservation of our legacy in the band UK.” Tellingly, the “Members of UK”
    letter appears on identical stationery as Mr. Earnshaw’s “The Wetton Estate” letters, and
    identifies “Members of UK” as “c/o QEDG Management, The Grange, Northlew Road,
    Oakhampton, Devon, EX20 3DA, UK,” just like the Estate. A true and correct copy of the April
    9, 2019 letter is attached hereto and incorporated herein as Exhibit E.
    37. Mr. Earnshaw collected signatures from: 1) drummer Bill Bruford (whose
    publishing copyrights are now controlled by Mr. Earnshaw); 2) 1979 session musician Terry
    Bozzio, who was never a full member of “UK”; 3) Darvill, purportedly on behalf of the Estate of
    John Wetton; and 4) Evan S. Cohen, a lawyer purportedly on behalf of the Estate of Allan
    Holdsworth.
    I don't see how that looks good for Jobson. So everyone else gave Globe Music the right to act on their behalf, but then they withdrew it.

Jobson has, in recent years, done lots to promote UK and their back catalogue, but many of his decisions have also been dubious and have been criticised here. You can see why the others might not be happy with Globe Music's stewardship.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I love the idea of a UK line-up made up of Earnshaw, Davill, QEDG Management, Evan S Cohen & Terry Bozzio. Probably a little dry with a lot of drum solo's.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I don't know about lawyer rock, but there was this:
    R-5349215-1435148356-2624.jpeg.jpg

Looks like this case is still being dragged out: https://unicourt.com/case/ny-sue1-es...on-et-al-39717. I thought maybe it had been resolved since _Curtain Call_ was allowed to come out, but no such luck
    You have not heard anything like Vostok Lake, nor do you know anyone who has.