Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The live version is the definitive version

^It's actually on video, give me a minute to find it:

In here somewhere...14.30 onwards.

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    Although it's missing the piano intro, real flute, and PG, I've always considered the "Second's Out" version of "Firth of Fifth" superior to the original recording. I also prefer the SO version of "Supper's Ready" from "Apocalypse in 9/8" until the end.
    I also think the climax in Cinema Show is working better on Seconds Out than on the studio-version.

PFM - Four holes in the ground

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Spc25tS4QI4

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    I also think the climax in Cinema Show is working better on Seconds Out than on the studio-version.
    The drumming on the live one is kicked-up 5 notches - Bruf and Phil are a deadly combination ( I think its Bruf on that tune?)
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Yes, The Cinema Show on Seconds Out was the first that came to mind for me, the next two being AC/DC Whole Lotta Rosie (If You Want Blood...) and Deep Purple Highway Star (Made In Japan)

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Anything from the Helsinki Concert is definitive to my ears. All right, maybe not “Dupree’s Paradise,” the percussion noodling seems to go on for an eternity, but everything else...that band was totally on fire that night! I like how they go from playing a Finnish folk song that everyone’s sight-reading, playing for the first time, back into the regular set without missing a beat! Now that’s a seriously talented band!
    Oh Yeah, this is my favorite Zappa band! And that Helsinki Dupree's Paradise IS the weak link of that disc(s)/show(s) for another obvious reason--no guitar solo!

Genesis were a tightly-honed machine in that 1976/7 period, that's why Seconds Out is such a brilliant live album. I have heard earlier versions (such as the famous Montreal 1974 bootleg) of 'The Cinema Show' where Banks is rushing the solo, something which would cause a serious trainwreck if there were a less able drummer behind that kit!

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie B View Post
    AC/DC Whole Lotta Rosie (If You Want Blood...)
    I've read fan murmurings that this is the studio version with a few tweaks...but whatever. That's one of the great 'live' albums again. Status Quo's Live is another of my favourites from the same venue.

Most of the versions on Neil Young's Live Rust, with three exceptions:
    1. Powderfinger. which is much better on Rust Never Sleeps.
    2. I am A Child, which is much better as the gentle, acoustic Buffalo Springfield studio version.
    3. Sugar Mountain, which is much better as the gentle, acoustic folk song that it is on Decade.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post

I've read fan murmurings that this is the studio version with a few tweaks...but whatever. That's one of the great 'live' albums again. Status Quo's Live is another of my favourites from the same venue.
    Well it sounds nothing like the studio version so I don't know where those comments are coming from. It may of course be A studio version, but I would have thought it was mostly live...the concert was filmed so should be easy to verify one way or another.

Maybe I'm just being protective because I was there (was also there for Status Quo Live concerts...happy days!)

Well it sounds nothing like the studio version so I don't know where those comments are coming from. It may of course be A studio version, but I would have thought it was mostly live...the concert was filmed so should be easy to verify one way or another.

Maybe I'm just being protective because I was there (was also there for Status Quo Live concerts...happy days!)

Agree it sure doesn't sound like the studio cut... especially the crowd screaming "Angus!" between the opening chords.

^Um, not including that, obviously.

http://www.acdcfans.net/forum/commen...cussionID=5984

^Um, thanks for that sourcing. Sounds great and superior to the original, regardless.
    Last edited by Score2112; 02-06-2019 at 02:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    The drumming on the live one is kicked-up 5 notches - Bruf and Phil are a deadly combination ( I think its Bruf on that tune?)
    Yes, Bill is on Cinema Show joined by Phil during the keyboard-solo.
    On Three Sides Live he's playing on the closing section of fourth side: It/Watcher Of The Skies (should play that side more often, because it starts with One For The Vine).

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Yes, Bill is on Cinema Show joined by Phil during the keyboard-solo.
    Which, even after all these years, still leads to people mistakenly believing that Phil is actually playing the keyboard solo due to the way the credits were worded on the album sleeve. As if Tony Banks would ever let anyone else in the band anywhere near his keyboards, much less Phil actually being able to play that solo.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Which, even after all these years, still leads to people mistakenly believing that Phil is actually playing the keyboard solo due to the way the credits were worded on the album sleeve. As if Tony Banks would ever let anyone else in the band anywhere near his keyboards, much less Phil actually being able to play that solo.
    Yeah, I wanted to add that first too, because I had the sleeve in front of me.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I keep hearing that come up, that people think it's Phil playing the synth solo, but I never got that. Even if I hadn't seen the Genesis In Concert film before I bought Seconds Out, I'm still reasonably certain that I would have been able to suss out who was playing what on that track. I dunno, maybe my mind just functions differently than everyone else's.

As a side note: for ages, I couldn't figure out how Hackett and Rutherford were able to play three guitar parts during the second solo, in The Musical Box, on Genesis Live. You could hear Rutherford strumming away on his Rickenbacker, and someone's doing this tremolo picked F# lick, and then there's a "guitar solo" on top of that. How the frell could they do that?!

It wasn't until sometime int he late 90's, when I finally saw the full Belgian TV "white room" performance, where I finally found out that what i thought was a guitar solo, was actually Tony, on electric piano! I don't know why Idn'dt realize that earlier, because I had read where Mike talked about the quartet era, immediately after Ant left, when he played rhythm guitar and bass pedals, and Tony took over some of the guitar solos, by playing them on electric piano, run through a fuzztone. Somehow I hadn't sussed out that Tony continued to use the fuzz after Hackett joined, at least for a little while anyway.

And of course I listen to now and I think, "Well obviously that's an electric piano, it doesn't sound that much like a guitar!", but I guess my 16 year old mind didn't hear that way. (shrug)

I prefer just about everything on Zeppelin's How the West was Won, but the reissued Song Remains the Same has one definitive version: The Ocean. It even has Bonham bellowing out his pirate countdown before they kick off.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

^TSRTS has a few, IMHO- 'The Rain Song' and 'No Quarter' on there are magnificent.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    ^TSRTS has a few, IMHO- 'The Rain Song' and 'No Quarter' on there are magnificent.
    I still think the best version of No Quarter I've heard is the one from Listen To This Eddie bootleg, which is from one of the LA Forum shows in 77.

My personal favorite version of Stairway To Heaven is from the Destroyer bootleg, from the Richfield Coliseum, same tour, which I like because of the stop time thing they do in place of the call and response section of the guitar solo. Damn shame about Page's guitar cutting out during the last verse, though.

I also like th elive versions of Ten Years Gone that I've heard, over the studio versions. For awhile, VH-1 Classic was showing the version from one of the Knebworth shows, right around the time the Led Zeppelin double DVD came out, which is why I was disappointd the song was actually on the DVD. Pagey playing a string bender equipped Tele+JPJ on his custom Andy Manson built triple neck acoustic=musical excellence.

Bob Marley - No Woman No Cry from "Bob Marley & the Wailers Live! " is definitive. Probably more commonly heard than the original studio version which is nice but has a different feel.

^Arguably that track/album is what made him the superstar he became, certainly in the UK. I don't think I've ever heard the studio version on the radio or anything.

Yes, The Cinema Show on Seconds Out was the first that came to mind for me, the next two being AC/DC Whole Lotta Rosie (If You Want Blood...) and Deep Purple Highway Star (Made In Japan)
    I would also nominate "Let There Be Rock" from that album. Great live version.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Sorry. I disagree strenuously on YesSongs. Good live renditions but none of them outdo the studio versions in my book...
    Agreed. Great performance but I can't get past the dreadful sound quality. Otherwise... maybe...

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Agreed. Great performance but I can't get past the dreadful sound quality.
    That and the fact that Steve Howe’s vocals are mixed too high.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by AndiSexgang View Post
    Most of the versions on Neil Young's Live Rust, with three exceptions:
    1. Powderfinger. which is much better on Rust Never Sleeps.
    2. I am A Child, which is much better as the gentle, acoustic Buffalo Springfield studio version.
    3. Sugar Mountain, which is much better as the gentle, acoustic folk song that it is on Decade.
    I prefer the Arc Weld version of Cortez the Killer to that on Live Rust, but Live Rust has the better Like A Hurricane.