Thread: Ted McKenna RIP

Ted McKenna RIP

Played on Greg Lakes solo albums and in his tour band, really solid groove. Also think he played in December last year at the Cozy Powell tribute gig in the U.K. Quite a lot on his CV Sensational Alex Harvey and Rory Gallagher too.

R.I.P.

There's already a thread in the off topic forum.

Ted also played with the Michael Schenker Group, with his fellow SAHB alum Chris Glen, playing on the albums Assault Attack and Built To Destroy.

I just saw Ted last spring playing with Schenker's most recent project, which was basically MSG (with both him and Chris Glen returning) plus all the singers Herr Michael had in his band during the 80's, with each vocalist taking turns fronting the band. Great, great show!

Had no idea Ted was 67-68 years old when I heard and saw him play the opening night of Michael Schenkerfest 's U.S. tour last year. He was kicking ass the entire night.

McKenna drumming with Rory....

"And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    He played on some songs on Fish's "Internal Exile" album as well.

Ex-MARILLION frontman and prog rock legend Fish mourned the death of his friend, saying: "I just heard the tragic news today that my dear friend Ted McKenna passed away this morning. A fabulous musician and one of the all-time greats who inspired so many rock drummers across generations he was a truly legendary stick man who graced so many kits behind so many world-famous bands. I had the enormous pleasure of not only working in the studio with him but also sharing stages in various incarnations over the years. He was a monster drummer with endless energies who played with so much soul and passion and drove songs with a power and grace like no other.

"But it wasn't only his playing that made him such a legend. He was a beautiful man who could drift from the comic to the serious, abound with stories and anecdotes, a perpetual smile despite all the difficulties he encountered and suffered over the years with never a bad word to say about anyone. I loved his bear hugs and his enthusiasm for everything. Always positive and always there for you if you needed him. He was a man's man and I am honoured to have had him as a true friend.

"My heart goes out to his family and his friends, of which he had so many and to all the people he touched with the music over his long years with us. He will be deeply missed and never replaced.

"Love you, Ted. RIP brother."

Sad news , rest in peace Ted.

He would have been on tour with MSG later this year too.

From their website:

We are totally heartbroken to hear that Ted McKenna, our amazing drummer and dearest friend, passing away this morning. Its a massive shock and a huge loss to lose Ted so suddenly.

He always had a smile on his face and was one of the most sincerely genuine people you could ever have the pleasure of meeting. One of the great rock drummers, he always played from the heart and his heart was music.

Rest in peace Ted, we will miss you x

He was supposed to play in Verviers in two weeks time with Bands Of Friends (with McAvoy and the Rory hologram). I guess that falls through.

RIP, Ted...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

A great clip featuring Ted and company doing the encore at Montreux with Rory- hard to believe theyd already done the whole show and still had this much left in the proverbial tank...deceptively straight forward beat, if you listen Teds doing all kinds of cool stuff....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb9MeF2LY6A